Author Topic: The Warden's Guide to Firearm safety and views (WORK IN PROGRESS)  (Read 94044 times)

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
Re: The Warden's Guide to Firearm safety and views (WORK IN PROGRESS)
« Reply #60 on: September 02, 2014, 02:04:17 am »
A good cautionary tale, and a valuable lesson about being careful with the conditions of the firearm.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #61 on: September 02, 2014, 02:36:50 am »
Father of a friend of mine once got some snow into his shotgun's barrel... The barrel blew up.

He hadn't even noticed that the barrel had accidentally touched the snow as he was walking and then he saw a rabbit and tried to shoot it: BOOM!

No injuries luckily since the barrel split open at the mouth rather than the rear end.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #62 on: December 15, 2014, 02:08:33 pm »
Father of a friend of mine once got some snow into his shotgun's barrel... The barrel blew up.

He hadn't even noticed that the barrel had accidentally touched the snow as he was walking and then he saw a rabbit and tried to shoot it: BOOM!

No injuries luckily since the barrel split open at the mouth rather than the rear end.

Condoms, my friend. The ones without spermacide over the barrel do a wonderful job of keeping out water, mud, and anything else you might encounter on a day of hunting. After you pull the trigger, slap another one on.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #63 on: December 15, 2014, 03:11:00 pm »
I've used a piece of tape on the barrel occasionally to stop water from getting in.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
« Reply #64 on: December 17, 2014, 11:18:04 pm »
I sometimes use a wool sock and a rubber band. I'll be sure to use the condoms. In a survival situation, the ones without spermicide can also be used as water containers.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #65 on: December 18, 2014, 02:15:01 am »
Also, condoms can be used to prevent STDs which is good even if there is no SHTF situation, but much more important then because medicine and medical help may be harder to find.

Offline rookie

• The Beast
« Reply #66 on: December 18, 2014, 10:06:52 am »
Also, condoms can be used to prevent STDs which is good even if there is no SHTF situation, but much more important then because medicine and medical help may be harder to find.

I've heard they're also good at preventing pregnancy.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #67 on: December 18, 2014, 11:13:26 am »

I've heard they're also good at preventing pregnancy.

Good point! I thought that it would not need to be mentioned but particularly in a SHTF situation pregnancies should be planned because pregnancy at wrong time can reduce critical work force and medical complications from pregnancy that could be easily handled with modern technology might cause problems when that technology is less available.

(It is becoming clear that condoms should not be wasted on guns in SHTF situations and tape or something should be used instead.)

Offline Damen

• That's COMMODORE SPLATMASTER Damen, Briber of Mods
  • The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
    • John Damen's Photography
« Reply #68 on: December 18, 2014, 11:35:38 am »
Muzzle covers, dear friends. Shoot them off if you forget about them on your rifle or if you need to and you won't have to worry about scraping melted latex off the barrel if it heats up.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 11:37:13 am by Damen »
"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #69 on: December 18, 2014, 11:57:13 am »
Why would I pay 3 dollars for something when I can take a piece of painters tape (and the roll will probably cost less than 3$) that does the job at least as well?

Offline rookie

• The Beast
« Reply #70 on: December 18, 2014, 12:41:50 pm »
Because when "blundering around in the woods looking for innocent animals to massacre" (vegan speak for hunting) condoms are way less bulky in a pocket. And the gas station you stop at for coffee usually has them.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #71 on: January 19, 2016, 04:43:20 pm »
This is what happens when gun safety is ignored:
http://crimefeed.com/2015/10/someone-gotten-shot-toddler-every-week-2015-washington-post-reports/

WHAT THE HECK USA? Who leaves out guns so that TODDLERS can get to them?!

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
« Reply #72 on: January 21, 2016, 12:17:43 pm »
^

"You don't leave your tools out for any grabby kid or adult to get their hands on. Guns are tools, ergo, you wouldn't leave them out either."

Offline rookie

• The Beast
« Reply #73 on: January 21, 2016, 01:31:52 pm »
^

"You don't leave your tools out for any grabby kid or adult to get their hands on. Guns are tools, ergo, you wouldn't leave them out either."

That's the biggest reason to keep your tools away, including guns. But also, you take care of them and they'll last a couple lifetimes. And step one of taking care of anything is to not leave it out!

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #74 on: February 28, 2016, 05:14:42 am »
...You loan your gun to your drinking buddy and he goes postal with it? You leave your firearm unsupervised...

The following are rules that stem from this golden rule:

1a) Always assume the weapon is loaded unless you yourself unloaded it, and check again to be sure. Better to be overcautious, than having an accidental discharge.

1b) Store weapons and ammo separately, especially if you have kids. These should be locked away in a gunsafe when not in use. If you must use a pistol at your bedside, at least use a trigger guard unless it's just you or an adult

1d) Never, EVER, leave the weapon unsupervised without rendering it safe first, under ANY circumstance.

3) ...get a gun safe...

Just wondering, are those things not covered by law in the US (or does it vary from state to state)?

I think I'm right in saying that in the UK it's illegal to let someone borrow your gun (although I'm sure it happens) but I could be wrong about that but I am fairly certain that you MUST keep you gun unloaded and dissembled in a gun safe, which must comply with certain specifications, when it's not in use.  Also, if you are going to be away from home for longer than a certain amount of time (like say if you're going on holiday) the gun must be handed in to the police for the duration of that period.  Plus if you apply for a gun license the police will send someone round to your house to make sure your gun safe complies with the law and also to check to see if you are an obvious nutter who shouldn't be let near a soft cushion never mind a firearm (obviously nutters do still get licenses, they aren't sending psychiatrists to your house, but maybe they should).

Are none of those things also law and part of the application process in the US?  If so that seems like MASSIVE oversight that should be addressed...none of those things imo would go against the right to bear arms, at least not in any unreasonable way.  I mean there's already some restrictions on that right in the US - for example it's pretty damn difficult to get hold of stuff like miniguns legally, and civilians aren't allowed to own nuclear bombs.  So clearly people are ok with some level of control.