Author Topic: Man declared not guilty of rape. Must notify police if planning to have sex.  (Read 5282 times)

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
The shit? How is such a system still legal in a western country?

There's a reason things like 1984 and A Clockwork Orange take place in Britain.  >.>
More to the point: there is a reason the underpinnings of America are pretty much the antithesis of it.

I'm honestly surprised something like this hasn't already been tried in the U.S. We already have programs to civilly commit sex offenders that have served their prison sentences until they can prove they're no longer dangerous; the vast majority of people so committed die in those facilities. There's also the fact that submitting to voluntary sex offender treatment is considered a mark in a defendant's favor...but an integral part of sex offender treatment is admitting guilt, which does absolutely bupkiss for people who are pleading innocent, especially the falsely accused. Then we have the hit list, thousands of different laws restricting where sex offenders can live and work beyond any reasonable connection to their crime, businesses specifically asking if applicants have even been ACCUSED of sex offenses (looking at you, KFC)...

Yes, unfortunately America has a distressing tendency to fall well short of the ideas set up in its constitution on a pretty regular basis.

And when someone points this out, they're accused of disrespecting the Constitution.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

pyro

More to the point: there is a reason the underpinnings of America are pretty much the antithesis of it.

No taxation without representation!

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

pyro

That is also a worthwhile discussion, but it doesn't parallel the situation Britain's American territories were in as closely as Puerto Rico does.

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.

That is also a worthwhile discussion, but it doesn't parallel the situation Britain's American territories were in as closely as Puerto Rico does.

True. But also, consider the fact that that is the nations fucking capitol. Both are situations that need to be remedied urgently.
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline dpareja

• The Beast

But the US absolutely has no colonies, nuh-uh, no way.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
Let 'em all become states, or let 'em go.

I'm curious, do resident citizens of the ACT/Canberra face a similar dilemma in national election and legislative participation?
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
The shit? How is such a system still legal in a western country?

There's a reason things like 1984 and A Clockwork Orange take place in Britain.  >.>

Do you remember that whole thing about Snowden revealing that the US is literally spying on everyone everywhere?  Mind you, the current UK gov is attempting to bring in laws that means they'll effectively be doing the exact thing but we learned it from you! (not being serious there btw)

As for all the American's saying about never going to the UK and how shit it is- yeah coz the US doesn't also have a long and continuing history of ridiculous rulings, stupid but enforced laws and violations of people's rights.  Nope, everything's perfect there, the two countries definitely aren't as bad as each other.

Don't get me wrong, the UK is almost certainly the worst of the major EU countries all things considered, but people in glass houses for fuck sake.  I mean almost every day some enraging horseshit that's happening/happened in the US gets posted and discussed on this very site.  Does everyone just forget about it 2 seconds after talking about it or something?  But if we're going to talk shit about eachother's criminal and judicial systems then I'm just going to leave these here:

" While the United States represents about 4.4 percent of the world's population, it houses around 22 percent of the world's prisoners."  World Prison Population List (tenth edition). International Centre for Prison Studies.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 11:26:00 am by Katsuro »

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
Nice job deflating America's e-penis, Katsuro.

We need a check on our creepy levels of nationalism every now and then.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
When did I ever say I wanted to live in America? This country sucks. Give me the Netherlands, or Germany, or somewhere like that. I would be gone from this place in a day if I could.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
Let 'em all become states, or let 'em go.

I'm curious, do resident citizens of the ACT/Canberra face a similar dilemma in national election and legislative participation?

No, the ACT (and the Northern Territory) each get 2 seats in the House of Representatives (where each state is guaranteed a minimum of 5, so Tasmania is overrepresented) and the Senate (where each state gets 12 regardless of population).

pyro

None of us thought you did say that. I blame RavynousHunter.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
None of us thought you did say that. I blame RavynousHunter.

I ain't done shit, and you can't prove shit.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.