Author Topic: Candidate tax plans  (Read 1526 times)

Offline Id82

• The Beast
Candidate tax plans
« on: March 29, 2016, 11:23:52 am »
Repub friends on facebook are flipping out about this candidate tax calculator.

http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2016/3/25/11293258/tax-plan-calculator-2016

I don't know how misleading this is, but they see that Bernie wants to increase their taxes, but I don't think that they're not paying attention to how much taxes they are paying now, that most of the tax increases would go to the wealthy, and that most of the tax cuts their candidates support would go to the wealthy as well.
Anyone on here can clear this up at all?

I guess this is a better explanation as to what Cruz's and Trump's tax plans would do for america

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KiXBqCS_wg" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KiXBqCS_wg</a>
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 11:55:59 am by Id82 »
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Re: Candidate tax plans
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 12:46:01 pm »
I don't know how misleading this is, but they see that Bernie wants to increase their taxes, but I don't think that they're not paying attention to how much taxes they are paying now, that most of the tax increases would go to the wealthy, and that most of the tax cuts their candidates support would go to the wealthy as well.

You are missing the point. They know that the tax hike would not hurt them with the earnings they currently have BUT they hope that one day they might be rich or at least their kids might be and then taxing the rich would hurt them. American dream and "trickle down" and so on.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 02:32:10 pm »
Id82 - Without seeing the arguments against Sander's plan, I can still make a guess that they are not factoring in that they would no longer be paying for health insurance directly or from payroll deduction. Their health care would be a big chunk of their tax rate increase, at lower cost than their private health insurance premiums. With low or zero deductions, mind you.

For example, I had a slow business year and had to drop my health insurance under the ACA, because after trying to keep it by raising my deductibles to barely realistic amounts, I still could not eat that premium every month. For a more average middle class single childless person my age, paying my insurance without ACA (and still with shitty high deductibles) would cost about 550 a month, for a younger person in their thirties, about 360 a month. That is for insurance from a reputable provider, but with painfully high deductibles. Hundreds a month to be effectively underinsured. It's a fucking racket.

Any version of anybody's monthly healthcare costs, whether it's "hidden" because they are never told how much of their actual pre-insurance salary went to their "company provided" insurance", or if it's shown on their paystub, is more out of their pocket than Sander's tax increases,  due to the world-wide demonstrated economies of scale inherent in nationalized health insurance programs. So, tell them to multiply their actual or estimated health insurance premium by 12 months, remove it as a cost, and they will see that Sander's tax rate increases do not hurt their bottom line much - if any, and possibly they save money - all the way up to mid 6-figure annual incomes.

Feel free to copy/paste my post on that forum, just leave my user name here off of it.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 02:43:37 pm by mellenORL »
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 03:05:42 pm »
Barring if Sanders could actually get a universal healthcare platform. With a Republican congress that doesn't seem very likely.
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 03:12:21 pm »
Correct. But they are arguing based on all the candidates tax plans on their respective campaign platforms. I think if Sanders does get elected, we will see a lot of detailed discussion everywhere about how his proposal and the existing national health systems work, especially their "bottom dollar" effects on citizens. Another important thing in Sanders proposal is that Social Security will be funded to continue functional and solvent for many years hence. That is opposite to Cruz and Trump, and the GOP in general, who want to cut SS to the point of killing. I for one cannot stomach the idea that seeing homeless eighty year olds dying on the streets would become commonplace by 2029.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.