Author Topic: Overwatch and the rage over the "butt-pose"  (Read 16600 times)

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
Re: Overwatch and the rage over the "butt-pose"
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2016, 09:12:57 pm »
A firestorm of controversy?
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2016, 02:31:36 am »
Yeah, and then we could await the reaction by the entitled nerd bunch.

I'm guessing it'd be whining.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2016, 09:56:42 am »
Is it bad that, if I actually got popular as a game designer, I'd do something like what Lizard said just for shits and giggles?  Because you fucking know that shit would sell because of all the butthurt (no pun intended) it'd cause.  I'd laugh all the way to the bank.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2016, 10:19:57 am »
I don't know, not many gamers got angry about the borderline ridiculous female-oriented fanservice in the Metal Gear games.

Also, I think it's ridiculous to obsess over a character's image and personality before the game is even released.

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2016, 10:23:14 am »
I don't know, not many gamers got angry about the borderline ridiculous female-oriented fanservice in the Metal Gear games.

Also, I think it's ridiculous to obsess over a character's image and personality before the game is even released.

On the other hand, there's no better time to obsess oflver things like this than before release, because if you wait until afterwards, any changes you might desire will be a hell of a lot harder to push through, and the characters personality is mostly set in stone by that point.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2016, 10:31:48 am »

On the other hand, there's no better time to obsess oflver things like this than before release, because if you wait until afterwards, any changes you might desire will be a hell of a lot harder to push through, and the characters personality is mostly set in stone by that point.

Speaking of personality, why are they assuming the pose to be out of character for her?  Granted, I don't know much about Overwatch, but the complainer honestly came off like he was arguing that only women with certain personalities should be even remotely "sexual."

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2016, 10:43:52 am »
Yeah, it's almost as if he didn't even slut shame the vamp character!
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2016, 10:48:07 am »
That was explained in the quote I put in the OP. One of the beta-testers explained why he felt that pose to be out of character AND explained that he wouldn't have minded if a character like Widowmaker had instead been posing sexily. The difference is that Tracer is all about being cheery and spunky and whatnot while Widowmaker is seduces and then kills (sometimes just kills) people.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2016, 10:54:12 am »
Yeah, it's almost as if he didn't even slut shame the vamp character!

That's not the point.  My point is that he seems to be operating under the belief that only characters defined by their sexuality should be at all sexual.  That seems... kind of unfortunate to me.

That was explained in the quote I put in the OP. One of the beta-testers explained why he felt that pose to be out of character AND explained that he wouldn't have minded if a character like Widowmaker had instead been posing sexily. The difference is that Tracer is all about being cheery and spunky and whatnot while Widowmaker is seduces and then kills (sometimes just kills) people.

Fair enough, but the fact that the playtester made assumptions about a character in an unfinished game kind of rubs me the wrong way.  After all, it's a work in progress, and any number of things can change at any time.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 11:02:12 am by Ultimate Paragon »

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2016, 11:21:59 am »
You're adorable.

Offline rookie

• The Beast
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2016, 12:06:57 pm »
UP, wouldn't that be the best time to bring that up then? While they're still developing it. While they can still change it.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 12:09:06 pm by rookie »
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2016, 12:24:28 pm »
UP, wouldn't that be the best time to bring that up then? While they're still developing it. While they can still change it.

Except much of his argument centered around it being out of character for Tracer.  In other words, he was basing it on the personality of a character in an unfinished game.  Fact is, things change in development.  Maybe the team decides to take a character in a different direction.  When you get right down to it, he was assuming they didn't want to tweak her characterization.  So ironically, he didn't want her to be changed.

And games get modified after release all the time.  In League of Legends, for example, the titular league was retconned away because Riot found it unnecessarily restraining.

By the way, I found this parody of the original complaint:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ydii76-1l5w" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ydii76-1l5w</a>
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 12:34:20 pm by Ultimate Paragon »

Offline rookie

• The Beast
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2016, 12:33:59 pm »
Right. I understand that. Which is why I'm not understanding your objection. Would it be better to wait till the game has been out a while before addressing inconsistencies in a characters personality?

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2016, 12:40:19 pm »
You know why he's objecting to this. 

Ironbite-it's adorable actually.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2016, 12:40:57 pm »
Right. I understand that. Which is why I'm not understanding your objection. Would it be better to wait till the game has been out a while before addressing inconsistencies in a characters personality?

Again, the game is still in development, so how did he know it's inconsistent?  Her personality still hasn't been officially finalized, so there's a question mark over how "out of character" the pose is.  Granted, he turned out to be right, but he couldn't have known that at the time.  For all he knew, some changes were being planned behind the scenes, and this pose was the first one to be implemented.