Author Topic: NRA being dicks again  (Read 6475 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
NRA being dicks again
« on: February 19, 2018, 01:13:58 am »
Ok, first they make those videos about how "THEY" are coming to get your guns and you need to do something to stop "THEM" (being only one step away from telling people to start killing their neighbours.)

Now they do bullshit like this:

Aren't they also involved in money loundering from Russia? What does it take to get them banned as an organization?
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
Re: NRA being dicks again
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 02:15:45 am »
Ugh, judicial elections. I mean, I get why they started way back when, but just... ugh.

You cannot possibly have a judiciary that is both elected and impartial.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 06:38:47 pm »
Because there doesn't appear to be a thread about the Florida Shooting, I will put this here.

Conspiracy theorists are already suggesting the attack was a false flag attack:

http://www.thestranger.com/slog/2018/02/15/25820511/alex-jones-blames-the-latest-school-shooting-on-democrats

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/after-the-parkland-shooting-pro-russian-bots-are-pushing-false-flag-allegations-again/2018/02/16/46c3a674-1356-11e8-9065-e55346f6de81_story.html?utm_term=.207d819b4d7d

I do find it mildly amusing that the Alt-Right are getting their talking points from a (mildly) hostile foreign power.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 05:50:14 pm »
And more on the aftermath of the Parkland massacre...

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/assault-rifle-ban-bill-florida-lawmakers-vote-down-motion-to-take-up-bill-after-parkside-florida-shooting/

Yesterday (February 20), less than one week after the school shooting in Parkside, Florida that left fourteen students and three teachers dead, a member of the state House proposed a motion to bring to the floor a bill to ban assault rifles and large capacity magazines.

The bill had been forwarded to various committees, but they had not scheduled hearings and would not meet again before the session ended.

Numerous survivors of the massacre were in attendance as Democratic state Rep. Kionne McGhee moved that the House bring the bill to the floor for debate, bypassing the committees.

The motion failed by a vote of 36-71 (note: a two-thirds majority was required), rendering it essentially dead.

No Republican voted for the motion, and no Democrat voted against; however five members of each party did not vote.

Again: students who had survived the massacre were in attendance, watching as this vote was taken, knowing that its failure meant the bill was effectively dead.

And the Republicans didn't care.

EDIT: “I have never believed in the general practice of carrying weapons. I do not believe in the general promiscuous toting of guns. I think it should be sharply restricted and only under licenses.” -- Karl Frederick, President of the NRA, 1939
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 07:22:08 pm by dpareja »
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Kanzenkankaku

• The Beast
  • Dreamer/Lightner
    • Mastadon Account
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2018, 02:11:23 am »
OBOMMERS GUNNA TAKE ARE-

Wait, Obama's gone. So does that mean Trump's gonna take the guns away now?

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2018, 02:14:33 am »
HURR NO DAT MEANZ DAT GORGE SAURUS IS GUNN TAKE AHR GUNS!
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2018, 02:54:18 pm »
Never mind the NRA being dicks, Donald Trump's decided to outdo them.

https://nypost.com/2018/02/26/trump-uses-picture-with-school-shooting-survivor-to-ask-for-donations/

Donald Trump's most recent fundraising e-mail features a picture of one of the Parkland massacre survivors in a hospital bed, touting his efforts to toughen up gun regulations.

Never mind that he also cut funding for mental health care (isn't "mental health" one of the GOP talking points whenever one of these atrocities occurs? Never mind that just about every study shows that the US has no better or worse a rate of mental health issues than any other country--those other countries just don't let those people get guns as easily) and reversed an executive order signed by Obama that required Social Security to report to the FBI all recipients who were deemed mentally unfit to manage their own money and had to have a trustee handle their funds for them--nope, even if you can't manage your own money you can still have a gun.

Offline Kanzenkankaku

• The Beast
  • Dreamer/Lightner
    • Mastadon Account
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2018, 06:30:21 pm »
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/trump-id-run-in-there-to-stop-school-shooting-even-without-a-gun/article/2650037

Trump one-upping himself. Claims that he would have ran in to stop the shooter "even without a gun" as though he's some kind of superhero.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2018, 06:59:52 pm »
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/trump-id-run-in-there-to-stop-school-shooting-even-without-a-gun/article/2650037

Trump one-upping himself. Claims that he would have ran in to stop the shooter "even without a gun" as though he's some kind of superhero.

He'd have taken two steps, then broken off because his bone spurs would have started hurting.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2018, 05:01:04 pm »
OH FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!

https://www.mediamatters.org/video/2018/02/27/nratv-host-says-parkland-shooting-just-benghazi-and-liberals-are-blame/219508

Somebody shut down that damn organization. I hope that the Russian bribes finally put them down if this type of FAKE NEWS and incitement of violence don't seem to be reasons to ban the organization.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2018, 06:24:43 pm »
.......WELP that happened.

Ironbite-because of course it did.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2018, 08:31:30 pm »
http://www.cbc.ca/news/opinion/florida-school-shooting-1.4552301

Neil Macdonald on why nothing will happen after the Parkland massacre.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2018, 03:37:17 am »
Since I can't be bothered to start a new thread for this: http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/video.php?v=wshh30TZM6r7HRCpqJ30

Oh would you look at that, gun control means that not every single whacko can get their hands on a gun. Who would have guessed. And turns out that no, not every whacko can or thinks of building bombs either.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2018, 03:22:02 am »
I wanted to stress that this is not political. If I thought for one moment that if we banned assault weapons then all of these tragedies would end, you would have me. I would be with you. But are we going to ban fertilizer, which is what they used in the Oklahoma bombing? Are we going to ban pressure cookers, which is what they used in the Boston massacre? Are we going to ban the multiple handguns that were used in other assaults? Are we going to ban the sawed-off shotguns what was used in Columbine?

It's not the weapon. It's the evil from within. And unfortunately, Senator Stewart said, at the very beginning of her debate, when we say "thoughts and prayers," it's frowned upon. And I take real offense at that, because thoughts and prayers are really the only thing that's gonna stop the evil from within the individual who is taking up their arms to do this kind of a massacre. So I will continue to do the thoughts and prayers, but in addition to that, I'm also going to do a comprehensive plan that Senator Galvano has spent hours and days, weeks actually, working on.

We're gonna look at the weapons which to a level of comfort past me, but I'm willing to move to a degree to say, You've gotta be twenty-one before you can have it, to make sure that person has a little more maturity in their life. Looking to the individual and their mental health to make sure that we're trying to make sure this individual is someone who we've done everything we can in our power to try and catch 'em early, to try to change the trajectory of their life, when they've come from a broken home or whatever situation that they've had, to help them not have the desire to do these kinds of acts. We're gonna look at law enforce[?] for the ones that we've missed who've still got to that point who wanna do these things, to harden our schools. If we haven't hardened the school enough to have armed people there, just as the very last resort to stop 'em.

So this is a comprehensive plan. It's not just the weapon. It is all of it. It's comprehensive. But in my opinion, the one thing that will actually change this the most is the one thing that has become fighting words, which is to say "thoughts and prayers." So that's something I'm gonna continue to add to my comprehensive plan, that we can hopefully stop the evil that is happening from within our world.

--Florida State Sen. Kelli Stargel (R)

(Note: Sen. Stewart is a Democrat and Sen. Galvano is a Republican. Additionally, Sen. Stargel is the Deputy Majority Leader.)

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2018, 10:12:25 am »
Lost me at "thoughts and prayers are the only thing that's going to stop the evil from within."  Thinking does nothing.  Prayer is worthless.  ACT, motherfucker.  Thoughts are meaningless without action.  If all you can give are "thoughts and prayers," then the least you can do is shut the fuck up while the adults handle shit.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.