Author Topic: Extreme Poverty Doesn't Exist!  (Read 5063 times)

Offline Damen

• That's COMMODORE SPLATMASTER Damen, Briber of Mods
  • The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
    • John Damen's Photography
Extreme Poverty Doesn't Exist!
« on: March 03, 2012, 03:07:56 pm »
...according to this douchebag Republican.

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2012/03/02/north-carolina-republican-says-extreme-poverty-doesnt-exist/
Republicans across the country have thoroughly demonstrated that they hate the poor, but none of them have claimed that poverty doesn’t exist. That is, until now.

George Cleveland is a Republican state representative in North Carolina and he is in desperate need of a tour of poverty-stricken areas in the United States. The North Carolina House is currently considering eliminating early childhood education. After reviewing a House committee report stating that more children are living in extreme poverty, Cleveland said on Thursday that poverty doesn’t exist.

“We have no one in the state of North Carolina living in extreme poverty. We might governmentally say they are, but they’re not. Extreme poverty is that you’re out there living on a dollar and a half a day. I don’t think we have anybody in North Carolina doing that.”

According to US Census Bureau statistics, Cleveland is woefully out of touch with reality. Approximately 17.5 percent of North Carolinians are in poverty. That’s 1.6 million people. That’s an increase of more than one percent since 2009. For a family of four, earning just $22,000 a year is the poverty level. To be in extreme poverty, that same family of four would only earn half of that amount. And as it turns out, 728,842 people in North Carolina live in extreme poverty. The House committee report wasn’t inaccurate either, because one in four children live at or below the poverty level in the state and one in ten children live in extreme poverty.

Cleveland is so alarmingly unaware of the hardships faced by Americans today, that he apparently hasn’t noticed that poverty increased by more than 7 percent in his home district in Onslow County between 2007 and 2010, and median household income dropped by 5.7 percent.
"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

Offline D Laurier

• Bishop
  • Never trust a white man with power.
Re: Extreme Poverty Doesn't Exist!
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 03:21:49 pm »
I'm reminded of Mayor Mel Lastman declaring that "there are no homeless people in northern Toronto" the day before a homeless woman froze to death in a bus shelter in... northern Toronto.
Cable (or satelite) TV is like paying someone to projectile poop all over your brain.

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
  • Little Lesbian Gaming Goddess
    • A Mayor's Tale - The daily trials of an Animal Crossing Mayor
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 03:28:52 pm »
I really, really wish it were legal to just beat people who say stuff this stupid with a baseball bat. Something like "defense of sanity".

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 03:30:57 pm »
I love this "some people have it worse, therefore, it's not bad" mentality these idiots take. If a family is unable to meet an acceptable quality of life -- proper nutrition, adequate education, residence in a safe neighbourhood, etc. -- because of a limited income, they're living in poverty. If a kid is sent to school in the middle of winter wearing runners, no socks, torn jeans, and a threadbare windbreaker because his parents can't afford warm clothing, he's living in poverty. If a parent is unable to bring his or her child to the doctor or purchase necessary medication because it's financially out of reach, they're living in poverty.

Making $11,000 a year in the US might not be as bad as making pennies a day in a war torn, famine-plagued country, but that doesn't change the fact that it's not an acceptable quality of life. This isn't a god damn contest, where only the person who has it the absolute worst gets help -- if a human being is living in poverty, regardless of how "bad" he or she has it on a global scale, it's a tragedy.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
  • Little Lesbian Gaming Goddess
    • A Mayor's Tale - The daily trials of an Animal Crossing Mayor
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 03:38:49 pm »
Making $11,000 a year in the US might not be as bad as making pennies a day in a war torn, famine-plagued country, but that doesn't change the fact that it's not an acceptable quality of life. This isn't a god damn contest, where only the person who has it the absolute worst gets help -- if a human being is living in poverty, regardless of how "bad" he or she has it on a global scale, it's a tragedy.

In some ways, it can be. Those pennies a day may not buy a bean here, but it does allow those people to feed their families, because the prices of items are drastically lower. Yeah, if we kept making the same money we do here in the US over in some shit-hole country, we'd basically be royalty--but that doesn't mean anything when where we live is here, and eating enough to stay alive for a single day here can cost a year's salary in some third world country.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 04:21:30 pm »
That's quite true, though I was thinking more along the lines of other factors, such as famine, war on your doorstep, etc. In any case, the relative levels of poverty are somewhat secondary to the main issue: People being unable to meet an acceptable minimum quality of life is a travesty, period.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 02:24:49 am »
Yes, not having poverty is exactly why people are jobless and losing their houses all over the country.  -_-  Idiot.
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline D Laurier

• Bishop
  • Never trust a white man with power.
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 07:35:20 am »
Extreme poverty is all around us.
I help at a drop in center for homeless people. These folks cant afford any of the basics of survival.
These people get their one decent meal a day at the center. Sometimes that meal is chilli that I made.
The center has shower facilitys. Every day homeless people line up to have a shower so they can be clean.
They sleep under bridges, or in dumpsters, or allyways.
These people exist in a small city like Owen Sound. They are everywhere, and there are more every year.
Cable (or satelite) TV is like paying someone to projectile poop all over your brain.

Offline Podkayne

• Pope
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 11:13:44 am »
But they have mobile phones!
Don't make vague, generic threats, or else!

Offline sandman

• The Eternal
  • The Beast
  • We Have Such Sights To Show You.
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2012, 11:30:05 am »
How did someone with such an utter lack of common economics and sociology ever get elected to any public office? This man has apparently never heard of something call the "cost of living index." 40K a year here in Cleveland is enough for a modest, yet stable and secure lifestyle....but 40K a year in New York City or San Francisco would be a problem. You would need to boost your income to 73K a year in New York and 83K in San Fran just to maintain the exact same standard of living. In Mumbai, India, you would only need $24K to maintain the same standard of living as in Cleveland, and in Bangalore you would only need $20K.

It is true that there are some areas of the world where people live on a dollar a day. And that is, absolutely, extreme poverty. But in the USA, $20K a year is also abject poverty. It's not like you can just go down to the riverbank in the USA and build a mud hut to live in. You can't just gather food in the forest. But the entire system is bullshit. Remember that the Federal government considers a family of 4 with a gross monthly income of $1,922 to NOT BE IN POVERTY. That translates to a yearly poverty level of a little more that $23K for a family of 4. Here in Cleveland, which has a notably low cost of living, that much would put you out on the street begging for food from passersby.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 11:44:17 am by sandman »
"In case you're interested, there's still some positions available for that bonus opportunity I mentioned earlier. Again: all you gotta do is let
us disassemble you. We're not banging rocks together here. We know how to put a man back together. So that's a complete reassembly. New vitals. Spit-shine on the old ones. Plus we're scooping out tumors. Frankly, you oughtta be paying us." -Cave Johnson

Offline Podkayne

• Pope
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2012, 11:32:43 am »
How did someone with such an utter lack of common economics and sociology ever get elected to any public office? This man has apparently never heard of something call the "cost of living index." 40K a year here in Cleveland is enough for a modest, yet stable and secure lifestyle....but 40K a year in New York City or San Francisco would be a problem. You would need to boost your income to 73K a year in New York and 83K in San Fran just to maintain the exact same standard of living. In Mumbai, India, you would only need $24K to maintain the same standard of living as in Cleveland, and in Bangalore you would only need $20K.
Is there a site you got that from? I'd be interested to see how Australia compares to other places.

Offline sandman

• The Eternal
  • The Beast
  • We Have Such Sights To Show You.
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2012, 11:39:03 am »
Just do a Google search for "Cost of Living Index." You'll get a bunch of sites, some more reputable than others.
"In case you're interested, there's still some positions available for that bonus opportunity I mentioned earlier. Again: all you gotta do is let
us disassemble you. We're not banging rocks together here. We know how to put a man back together. So that's a complete reassembly. New vitals. Spit-shine on the old ones. Plus we're scooping out tumors. Frankly, you oughtta be paying us." -Cave Johnson

Offline Podkayne

• Pope
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2012, 11:42:21 am »
thanks

Offline Podkayne

• Pope

Offline Morgenleoht

• The Beast
  • Formerly Known As Runa
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2012, 04:36:43 pm »
That was posted, I think, in the Jim Crow laws thread.
Fundie Neighbour: "Pagans don't feel things the same way Christians do."

Me: "Just remember what the Vikings used to do to Christians that annoyed them."