Author Topic: Russians threaten Facebooks  (Read 1978 times)

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
  • That angry queer your tone trolls warned you about
    • Queer & Khmer
Russians threaten Facebooks
« on: July 15, 2012, 02:35:29 am »
http://www.lgbtqnation.com/2012/07/russian-religious-group-threatens-facebook-stop-flirting-with-sodomites/

SARATOV, Russia — A Russian Orthodox religious community in the southern Russia city of Saratov has issued an ultimatum to social media giant Facebook, demanding that the company stop “flirting with sodomites” and immediately remove all content “promoting homosexuality.”

The outcry resulted after after the popular social networking website introduced same-sex marriage status icons earlier this month: one depicting two brides, the other two grooms.

The group sent a fax to Facebook’s office in Moscow on Friday, and gave it 24 hours to fulfill its demands.

According to the fax, should the company refuse to comply, then the group stated that they will sue Russian internet service providers who give users access to Facebook content.

Russian News Portal TemaSaratov reported Wednesday that the group’s demands have been ignored by Facebook, and that the group has now begun an effort to collect signatures in support of returning a Soviet-era anti-gay article to the Penal Code of the country’s Federal Constitution.

The leader of the Orthodox group, Vladimir Roslyakovsky, told Russian media outlets that the group’s activists managed to obtain 34,000 signatures in just three days.

At least it's comforting to know we don't have the monopoly on inane conservative tears.
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
Re: Russians threaten Facebooks
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 03:05:24 am »
Well, that's another denomination to write onto my shit list.

How long is this damn thing anyways!?
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline chad sexington

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 03:07:37 am »
Be easier to write out a good-guys list.  And much shorter.

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
    • Queer & Khmer
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 03:11:08 am »
So,

Universal Unitarian,
Episcopal,
Quakers
Church of Norway

Pretty sure I'm missing some.
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 03:18:35 am »
We demand only one thing: Facebook should be blocked in the entire country because it openly popularizes homosexuality among minors...

If you're against it that much then you can just stop using facebook. No one is forcing you to use it and you dont have the right to force others not to use it because you're butthurt.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 03:35:01 am »
Good luck with that, guys.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2012, 08:34:00 am »
Oh how cute!  Aren't they just adorable!?  You could just eat them up!

Ironbite-and I will

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2012, 10:17:41 am »
They actually thought one denomination could make Facebook bow down to them? I swear fundies are getting dumber.
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2012, 02:48:22 pm »
They actually thought one denomination could make Facebook bow down to them? I swear fundies are getting dumber.

When you believe that your particular crusade is a just one and a good one, you tend to believe that you can do anything... because it's right.  And good people will listen to you.  And if they don't, it just feeds more into your "We are the only ones who are right, everyone else is against is, because we're the only ones who are right" mentality.

...So, basically, expect them to get stupider regardless of whether they win or lose.

I do have to wonder what the constituents of the church think.  Are they in agreement?  Or is it like the Catholic church where there's a surprising amount of dissonance with the religious authority?
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
    • Queer & Khmer
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2012, 02:54:40 pm »
I only have a passing familiarity with the Russian Orthodox Church, so I don't know if they're like the RCC where Catholics don't give fucks about what the Pope thinks. From what Christian TV tells me, there is supposedly a Christian revival in Russia but that is probably them being selective.

But remember is basically illegal to be gay in St. Petersburg and Moscow.

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2012, 07:42:24 pm »
If these people don't calm down Facebook will buy Russia.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2012, 09:38:36 pm »
We demand only one thing: Facebook should be blocked in the entire country because it openly popularizes homosexuality among minors...

If you're against it that much then you can just stop using facebook. No one is forcing you to use it and you dont have the right to force others not to use it because you're butthurt.

Seriously. And it's not like these bigots even need to see the same-sex icons, being that they're unlikely to befriend anyone who's openly gay.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)