Author Topic: Drone Strike Map  (Read 3287 times)

Offline DiscoBerry

• The Beast
    • Has the Hadron Collider Destroyed the Earth Yet?
Drone Strike Map
« on: October 27, 2012, 02:58:08 pm »
Think that this is interesting and worth a share.  It shows every drone strike in Pakistan by both the Bush and Obama administrations.  Have to link cannot share the map as a picture, and it can only be fully appreciated if you have the ability to zoom out a bit.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/map_of_the_week/2012/10/drone_strikes_map_shows_pakistan_drone_strikes.html 

Offline m52nickerson

• Polish Viking
  • The Beast
  • Winning by flying omoplata!
Re: Drone Strike Map
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 03:06:36 pm »
That's pretty nice.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. ~Macbeth

Offline Yla

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 03:39:01 pm »
Cute how the legend establishes the outer circle as 'non-millitants killed', and then most strike marks show zero. If you hover with the cursor, it shows that it's conveniently 'Unknown'.
That said, I've stopped trying to anticipate what people around here want a while ago, I've found it makes things smoother.
For I was an hungred, and ye told me to pull myself up by my bootstraps: I was thirsty, and ye demanded payment for the privilege of thine urine: I was a stranger, and ye deported me: naked, and ye arrested me for indecency.

Offline m52nickerson

• Polish Viking
  • The Beast
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 03:46:55 pm »
Cute how the legend establishes the outer circle as 'non-millitants killed', and then most strike marks show zero. If you hover with the cursor, it shows that it's conveniently 'Unknown'.

Would you like them to make numbers up?
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. ~Macbeth

Offline DiscoBerry

• The Beast
    • Has the Hadron Collider Destroyed the Earth Yet?
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 04:11:23 pm »
My question was why is that spot 114 drone strikes on basically the same spot near Peshawar?

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2012, 09:00:07 pm »

That's what they are doing.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, 10:58:15 pm »
Goodness, look at all that blue. Good thing he got his Nobel Peace Prize money up front...

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 03:42:33 am »

Well they are not making number up, just ignoring number that are inconvenient. I looked at that map and was surprised by how many attacks there were, but even more surprised by how many seemed to have no civilian casualties, especially given the abysmal record that drone strikes have. Interesting graphic.

Also Obama didn't win the Nobel peace prize for promoting peace, he won it for not being Bush.

Offline Yla

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 04:28:06 am »

Well they are not making number up, just ignoring number that are inconvenient. I looked at that map and was surprised by how many attacks there were, but even more surprised by how many seemed to have no civilian casualties, especially given the abysmal record that drone strikes have. Interesting graphic.

Also Obama didn't win the Nobel peace prize for promoting peace, he won it for not being Bush.
That's what I mean, and what the graphic as-is suggests to the casual viewer. Granted it's not as bad as it could be - they could ignore non-militant kills completely.
I don't want them to make numbers up, I want them to use a mode of display that makes 'Unknown' distinguishable from 'Zero non-militant kills'.
That said, I've stopped trying to anticipate what people around here want a while ago, I've found it makes things smoother.
For I was an hungred, and ye told me to pull myself up by my bootstraps: I was thirsty, and ye demanded payment for the privilege of thine urine: I was a stranger, and ye deported me: naked, and ye arrested me for indecency.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2012, 04:32:46 am »

Zero is a number. They are 'making up' that number when they are not sure if it applies.

A worthy goal.

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2012, 04:59:56 am »
Zero is a number.

And "Unknown" isn't.

People, it's one thing to criticize the Obama administration for covering up how many civilians are killed.

It's another to start blathering complete inaccuracies while doing so.

Criticize the maps for showing "Unknown"

Don't say they aren't making numbers up when they aren't even showing the numbers that you say are being made up.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 05:01:49 am by Zachski »
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2012, 05:32:56 am »
Many of the balls show no civilian casualties even when there certainly were civilian casualties. The map is pretending that there were no civilian casualties when there were, or when we're not sure.

-FDR

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2012, 06:56:39 am »
Zero is a number.

And "Unknown" isn't.

People, it's one thing to criticize the Obama administration for covering up how many civilians are killed.

It's another to start blathering complete inaccuracies while doing so.

Criticize the maps for showing "Unknown"

Don't say they aren't making numbers up when they aren't even showing the numbers that you say are being made up.

The problem is that they are equating "unknown" as "zero" casualties.
As a result the graph makes it look like drone strikes are hugely effective at killing terrorists and ONLY terrorists with almost no civilian casualties which is just plain manipulative.

What they should have done is make each circle represent total casualties from the strike, and then have an inner circle showing confirmed militant kills. That would be much more accurate. However I somehow doubt it would be as flattering.

I also find it hard to believe that the non militant kills are unknown. I am pretty sure they know exactly how many people they killed. I think they are making it unknown by saying that the civilians they killed could have been militants, and that is why it is unknown, despite knowing how many people they really killed.

Offline m52nickerson

• Polish Viking
  • The Beast
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2012, 08:05:45 am »
The map is pretending that there were no civilian casualties when there were, or when we're not sure.

No it is not.  Mouse over any one of those and you can see "unknown" for civilian casualties.  I suppose they could put some type of outline on those circle to distinguish them, but they are not pretending they are zero.

Offline Yla

• The Beast
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2012, 08:35:37 am »
The map is pretending that there were no civilian casualties when there were, or when we're not sure.

No it is not.  Mouse over any one of those and you can see "unknown" for civilian casualties.  I suppose they could put some type of outline on those circle to distinguish them, but they are not pretending they are zero.
Of course. The point is, however, that you only learn this if you do hover over the point (in other words, do deeper research ::)). For the casual viewer, it evokes the impression of a next-to-civilian-casualty-free campaign. After all, the map legend claims to show these numbers, but in practice, most of the data points fall into the 'Unknown' category.

I am criticizing the presentation style/design choices of the map/graph.