Author Topic: Catholic girls shouldn't go to college  (Read 4312 times)

Offline Bender_Rodríguez

• Bishop
Catholic girls shouldn't go to college
« on: September 19, 2013, 02:53:50 am »
cause it might interfere with Gods plan to keep them in the kitchen.

http://www.fixthefamily.com/blog/6-reasons-to-not-send-your-daughter-to-college

This is another reason I'm glad that Dad is a lapsed Catholic and never made me join the cult. 

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
Re: Catholic girls shouldn't go to college
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 04:13:24 am »
Actually, seems like most Catholics in the comments section are calling out against it (there were two people who supported it, and one person was being incredibly sarcastic while doing so, so he or she doesn't count)

Of course, the comments section had a majority of non-catholics to begin with, so naturally they were talking down about the article.

One of the few times that the comments section has been more intelligent than the article itself.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Morgenleoht

• The Beast
  • Formerly Known As Runa
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 06:02:54 am »
Tony Abbott would approve...
Fundie Neighbour: "Pagans don't feel things the same way Christians do."

Me: "Just remember what the Vikings used to do to Christians that annoyed them."

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 08:47:24 am »
That article was special. I love how he contradicts himself while trying to explain away the concerns people have in his list. The amount of cognitive dissonance is astounding.

The comments made up for it though. It is amazing how religious and atheist people alike all thought the article was utter crap.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 08:55:48 am »
I don't have the words to rationally respond to this right now, but fuck them in the ass. No girl is obligated to avoid a college education so she can "learn to be a wife and mother."
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 09:11:04 am »
I almost agreed with reason 4: The cost of a degree is becoming more difficult to recoup. I mean this is true and people should be more and more careful when making these big decision so sometimes not going to college/university/etc. might be the better choice, as long as you can find another way to get a job and advance in life. Still, it's not like the cost of education is a problem for women only so I went on to read their justifications...

They started off well but then after explaining why going to debt to earn your education is bad they end with this:
It makes much more sense for a young couple to have a husband with a skill that brings value to the marketplace that has reasonable compensation to go along with it and a wife who is willing to be frugal especially during the early years of starting their family.

So it's only a risk for women since their place is in the kitchen and any education for them is a luxury. (God help it if they would try to go to work with that degree they earned.)
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2013, 09:30:55 am »
Yes, let's not decry the system that puts so many young people under a heap of debt just so they can have a job that's NOT taking orders for ungrateful dickhead customers, stocking shelves for a pittance above minimum wage, or listening to fuckers on the phone berate you because something totally beyond your control happened to one of their deliveries.  Let's just tell women to stay in the kitchen with their legs open for their working husbands and their vaginae ready to spew out a half dozen squealing little shit machines.

I wanna find whoever wrote this article and give him a nice, Irish beat down with a heavy shillelagh for even coming close to suggesting my girlfriend should be a mother.  Or give up on her education and future career.  I'm just happy neither of us are Catholic, or theistic at all, for that matter.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2013, 09:42:31 am »
It's amazing the amount of backlash there's been in recent years over women in the workplace.  Just amazing.  It's like, people only see women nowadays for the things(humans) she can produce rather then what is on her mind.  Because that's how we do it nowadays.

Ironbite-just sickens me.

Offline starseeker

• God
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2013, 06:39:43 pm »
Someone tell this to my mum, she's the more observant of my Catholic parents and for most of my childhood earned more than my dad (they both went to uni and it was expected me and my sister would to).

Offline Yla

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2013, 06:45:55 am »
I liked the 'common criticisms and misconceptions' part of the article. Regardless of its content, it's a commendable step towards constructive discussion instead of rehashing old arguments that each side has exchanged 1000 times already.

That said, about half of the arguments below should have belonged in 'X reasons to not send your child to college'. Calling it that would have helped against the above-mentioned syndrome.
That said, I've stopped trying to anticipate what people around here want a while ago, I've found it makes things smoother.
For I was an hungred, and ye told me to pull myself up by my bootstraps: I was thirsty, and ye demanded payment for the privilege of thine urine: I was a stranger, and ye deported me: naked, and ye arrested me for indecency.

Offline Leafy

• Radical Radish
  • Pope
  • "My bunny will eat your soul!"
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2013, 01:31:59 pm »
Must resist punching someone in the face.

Offline Bender_Rodríguez

• Bishop
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2013, 09:49:09 pm »
This is why you get a punching bag.  As pleasing as it would be to punch these idiots, that would give them the satisfaction of thinking they're better than you.

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2013, 03:53:20 am »
This is why you get a punching bag.  As pleasing as it would be to punch these idiots, that would give them the satisfaction of thinking they're better than you.

Don't kid yourself, they already think that.

The real reason is to avoid getting in trouble with the law.

Offline Raymond Dullaghy

• Apprentice
  • God before dogma!
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2013, 09:44:45 am »
Back in my neck of the woods, it's unrighteous for a woman to not work. Most of the families I know are on the lower end of the economic ladder, so they need as much income as possible to keep on keeping on.
I'm in science to discover and analyze God's wonderful universe, not gripe about how people don't like God.  I believe the creation/evolution debate is a waste of Christian brains (we have them, believe it or not) that could be better spent on making actual things.

Favorite philosophers (out of the ones I've personally read): Jesus, Solomon, Marcus Aurelius, Immanuel Kant

Offline rageaholic

• The Beast
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2013, 09:50:12 pm »
Wow this is a goldmine of stupid.

Both of these positions we have are a threat to the trophies of the feminist agenda, so the rejection we receive is always emotionally charged and ends up insulting, since once explained logically, the opposition runs out of substance and is only left to hurl insults and presume and misconstrue this practical wisdom into some chauvinistic evil.

Emotionally charged?  Unlike most religious arguments?  I just love it when some fundie claims that the other side is being emotionally charged.  As if they're the logical ones.  Bullshit. 

You don’t believe in educating women.  False.  College and education have very little to do with each other.  College has become more of a training ground for a job.  Let’s be clear:  college graduates receive a diploma, not necessarily an education.

This is another thing fundies do.  They nitpick the use of a word to sound so smart.  Yeah, you can get education outside of college, but you can't get the credentials that way.  You're still arguing that women shouldn't have good jobs because they're meant to stay at home and that's what people are objecting to.

You believe in oppressing women.  False.  The Church teaches that husbands and wives are of equal dignity, but with different roles

Ah the old separate but equal bullshit.

I'm not even going to bother commenting on the actual reasons as they're grasping at the straws.  The only reason that makes sense is the 4th one, but last time I checked, college is expensive for both men and women.