Author Topic: Obama endorses same-sex marriage  (Read 14390 times)

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Obama endorses same-sex marriage
« on: May 09, 2012, 03:11:14 pm »
You heard me.

WASHINGTON -- In a nod to a dramatic shift in public opinion, Barack Obama on Wednesday became the first sitting president to announce his support for same-sex marriage.

In a sit-down interview with ABC's Robin Roberts, Obama completed what has been a markedly long and oft-mocked evolution on the matter.

"I've always been adamant that gay and lesbian Americans should be treated fairly," Obama told Roberts, in an interview that will air in full on ABC's "Good Morning America" Thursday.

"I have to tell you that over the course of several years as I have talked to friends and family and neighbors when I think about members of my own staff who are in incredibly committed monogamous relationships, same-sex relationships, who are raising kids together, when I think about those soldiers or airmen or marines or sailors who are out there fighting on my behalf and yet feel constrained, even now that Don't Ask Don't Tell is gone, because they are not able to commit themselves in a marriage, at a certain point I’ve just concluded that for me personally it is important for me to go ahead and affirm that I think same sex couples should be able to get married," he said.

Very very risky considering the nature of the statement and as it's been released now.  But, if he does support it, and support it whole-heartedly, major victory for same-sex couples everywhere.

Ironbite-hopefully he gets a second term to get this through.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
Re: Obama endorses same-sex marriage
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 03:14:43 pm »
Better late than never I suppose. WHOO!

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline OscarApollo

• Neonate
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 03:33:39 pm »
The man has balls! Who knew?

shykid

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 04:14:53 pm »
I'm happy, but as much as I hate to say this about an ally, I still feel this is either an opportunistic move on his part to pander to his liberal and LGBTQ bases or like he finally felt like it was politically "safe" to admit what he actually thought all along.

Offline Damen

• That's COMMODORE SPLATMASTER Damen, Briber of Mods
  • The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
    • John Damen's Photography
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 04:20:36 pm »
I'm happy, but as much as I hate to say this about an ally, I still feel this is either an opportunistic move on his part to pander to his liberal and LGBTQ bases or like he finally felt like it was politically "safe" to admit what he actually thought all along.

And now you know what makes him a politician.
"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 04:24:11 pm »
Obama is, apparently, quite a clever Chessmaster. He plays a slow game, though, which gives the illusion of him not getting much done.

If this election goes Exactly As Planned, then we might get a real treat.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 05:33:49 pm »

History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 05:39:44 pm »
Well this didn't take long.

Source: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/09/mitt-romney-same-sex-marriage-man-woman_n_1504177.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000003

Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney on Wednesday reiterated that he opposes same-sex marriage, a few hours after President Barack Obama said for the first time he supports it.

"My view is that marriage itself is a relationship between a man and a woman and that's my own preference," Romney told reporters in Oklahoma. "I know other people have differing views. This is a very tender and sensitive topic, as are many social issues, but I have the same view that I've had since running for office."

Obama came out in support of same-sex marriage on Wednesday in an interview with ABC. The announcement prompted a flurry of responses, from Democrats praising his statements to Republicans decrying them. (See the slideshow below for some reactions.)

Romney said he supports states' rights to make decisions on domestic partnership benefits, including hospital visitation. Obama, while saying he personally supports same-sex marriage, also said the issue should be left to the states to decide.

Ironbite-anyone surprised?

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 05:56:04 pm »
Well hopefully Obama uses Mitt's views as one of intolerance.
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 06:00:23 pm »

Well, I think he was forced to clarify his position partially because Biden was flapping his mouth.

i know this probably sounds stupid and pedantic but the fact he didn't mention bisexuals and transfolk kinda bothers me
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline sandman

• The Eternal
  • The Beast
  • We Have Such Sights To Show You.
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2012, 06:05:23 pm »
I don't think it was a mis-step, or something he was forced into. He needs to re-energize his base, and anyone who would vote based on him being pro-gay marriage was already not going to vote for him in the first place.
"In case you're interested, there's still some positions available for that bonus opportunity I mentioned earlier. Again: all you gotta do is let
us disassemble you. We're not banging rocks together here. We know how to put a man back together. So that's a complete reassembly. New vitals. Spit-shine on the old ones. Plus we're scooping out tumors. Frankly, you oughtta be paying us." -Cave Johnson

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2012, 08:37:33 pm »
As a lead up to the election, Obama needs to go further left and he knows it.

He's probably been waiting for this. This exact opportunity.

He does everything carefully.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2012, 08:58:19 pm »
Well this didn't take long.

Source: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/09/mitt-romney-same-sex-marriage-man-woman_n_1504177.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000003

Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney on Wednesday reiterated that he opposes same-sex marriage, a few hours after President Barack Obama said for the first time he supports it.

"My view is that marriage itself is a relationship between a man and a woman and that's my own preference," Romney told reporters in Oklahoma. "I know other people have differing views. This is a very tender and sensitive topic, as are many social issues, but I have the same view that I've had since running for office."

Obama came out in support of same-sex marriage on Wednesday in an interview with ABC. The announcement prompted a flurry of responses, from Democrats praising his statements to Republicans decrying them. (See the slideshow below for some reactions.)

Romney said he supports states' rights to make decisions on domestic partnership benefits, including hospital visitation. Obama, while saying he personally supports same-sex marriage, also said the issue should be left to the states to decide.

Ironbite-anyone surprised?

So basically there's no difference in the policies Obamney would enact.
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

Offline Fpqxz

• The Beast
  • Generic forum poster #666
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2012, 03:40:55 am »

And now you know what makes him a politician.

Now is a good time to remember that talk is cheap.  Obama promised a lot of things he couldn't or wouldn't deliver on (such as closing GITMO), and the gay marriage issue is not one that he has a whole lot of responsibility for either.  Family law is almost completely the responsibility of the states, and apart from de-prioritizing enforcement of the Defense of Marriage Act, there isn't much more he can do.

On the plus side, he finally got rid of Don't Ask Don't Tell, and for that I commend him.
Read some real news:  Allgov.com, JURIST

Step down Mr. and Mrs. Politically Correct.
It's so easy to be "punk" and "aware" living at home.
You can't change shit, you're too self-righteous;
you're the bigots you flaunt to loathe.
--Thought Industry, Boil

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2012, 05:01:56 am »
Rather Jealous of you yanks right now, we have an atheist, female P.M. who says she's opposed to gay marriage because she pithily explains that marriage between a man and a woman "has a special status".