Author Topic: Finnish police and courts, WTH?!  (Read 4106 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Finnish police and courts, WTH?!
« on: January 31, 2013, 10:10:43 am »
Finnish supreme court has come to conclusion over a case of a police officer who raped a 16 year old girl.

He lured her in by presenting his badge and using his authority as a police officer, then got her drunk raped her (twice) and posted pictures about the incident.

The court declared him guilty of the rape and gave him a sentence of two years and three months.

Seems a bit small for a rape but I guess they are going soft on him because he is a cop after all. Which seems to be why they also declared him innocent of misusing his position and authority as a police officer. The lower courts had felt that using your badge to trick someone and then raping her is a misuse of his authority but the supreme court disagreed.

Apparently the fact that he wasn't on duty at the time was what made them change their mind. I mean since he wasn't on duty when he lured her into his home "It cannot be concidered that he had been acting as a officer." AND the supreme court also felt that he had not in fact "broken his oath" since the crime didn't happen when he was working.

I suppose you could say that they have some logic in this, except that they have previously declared that off duty officers still have the authority of an police officer! Even an off duty cop can arrest people and resisting them is "resisting an police officer." If you are in a fight with a cop you will be charged with assaulting an officer on duty even if he is not on duty.

WHAT THE HELL?!

Links (in finnish only, for some reason I can't seem to find english articles about this)

http://yle.fi/uutiset/korkein_oikeus_teinityton_raiskannut_poliisi_ei_tehnyt_virkarikosta/6474450?origin=rss
http://www.savonsanomat.fi/uutiset/kotimaa/raiskannut-poliisi-ei-tehnyt-virkarikosta/1293448
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
Re: Finnish police and courts, WTH?!
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 10:52:50 am »
I don't suppose that they are correct in their ruling and that there is another law on the books (something along the lines of fraudulent misrepresentation) that he should have been charged with? I'd really like to think that this is case rather than you have idiots in positions of power too.

On another note, the whole assaulting an officer charge applying even while off duty is there to protect officers from reprisals by people who would just wait until the cop is off duty to take a swing so they could face a lessor charge. The authority to actually function as an officer while off duty is another matter completely and does seem to be quite inconsistent with this ruling.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 04:24:45 pm »
Yeah, we get plenty of stupid here too. I would consider the fact that he was not on-duty irrelevant to the fact he used his police badge to enter her home, not everybody is going to question a cop whether they are on duty or not when they show their badges, the first instinct is to be cooperative so as to not face reprisals.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 12:05:14 am »
If this happened in the United States, everyone would take it as irrefutable evidence of the depravity of American culture and/or the reason why police officers are 100% scumbags.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Auggziliary

• The Beast
  • Queen of the birdies
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 07:53:56 am »
If this happened in the United States, everyone would take it as irrefutable evidence of the depravity of American culture and/or the reason why police officers are 100% scumbags.

I'm not sure what your point is.
BITCHES! YOU BITCHES! Killing me won't bring back your God damn honey!

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 09:27:45 am »

Just a point about the massive difference in response depending on the country. Americans seem to be under a hideously large amount of scrutiny, where the slightest foul-up or a single bad egg is taken as irrefutable evidence that our nation is a horrible bunch of evil, redneck bullies. You don't see people trying to condemn the entirety of Finland or its police force because of this.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 09:55:24 am »
At best, this seems like a case where the judges got all nerded-out on the criminal code technicalities of the case, and got blinded to the real issue - can't see forest for the trees. It happens everywhere, and suspiciously seems to happen most often in cases where an accused is some form of governmental authority - or has great wealth. Hope this case gets all blown up in the Finnish media, because it's gonna take some public outrage before these fuckwits change their position.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Auggziliary

• The Beast
  • Queen of the birdies
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 10:12:10 am »

Just a point about the massive difference in response depending on the country. Americans seem to be under a hideously large amount of scrutiny, where the slightest foul-up or a single bad egg is taken as irrefutable evidence that our nation is a horrible bunch of evil, redneck bullies. You don't see people trying to condemn the entirety of Finland or its police force because of this.

True, but America does have a problem with rape culture and police abusing their power... Like when a story runs about a gay person getting killed by a homophobic gang, we would say it's evidence of homophobia in US culture. But if a story ran about a straight person getting killed by a few gays, we wouldn't say the US is heterophobic(excluding fundies).
This is something that I'd expect from a country like the US, not Finland, just like how if you heard a story about someone being killed for their sexuality, you're going to think "Oh great, another homophobe kills some gay kid".
BITCHES! YOU BITCHES! Killing me won't bring back your God damn honey!

Offline The Illusive Man

• The Beast
  • Saw the ME3 endings, got turned into a husk. :(-
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 02:40:21 pm »
Links (in finnish only, for some reason I can't seem to find english articles about this)
http://yle.fi/uutiset/korkein_oikeus_teinityton_raiskannut_poliisi_ei_tehnyt_virkarikosta/6474450?origin=rss
http://www.savonsanomat.fi/uutiset/kotimaa/raiskannut-poliisi-ei-tehnyt-virkarikosta/1293448

When in doubt use translate.google.com.

Hopefully they will amend what ever seriously fucking stupid law/rule/ect that reduced his sentence.
Despite knowing about indoctrination I thought it was a good idea to put a human Reaper near my office. Now I am a sentient husk :(.

*RRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRR* *SCREECH* *smokes*

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2013, 07:01:24 am »
Wait a minute: I was under the impression that police are, theoretically, always 'on duty'.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2013, 08:50:40 am »
The difference is largely semantic.

Police are empowered to deal with whatever trouble they come across in their capacity as officers, no matter when.

"On duty" pretty much just means that those are the times they have specifically set aside for such things, as opposed to the movie classic of robbing a bank that happens to contain an off-duty cop.
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.