Author Topic: Dear Anti-Vaccers: STFU  (Read 5045 times)

Offline Scotsgit

• Is Reenacting Reality or Reality Reenacting?
  • The Beast
Dear Anti-Vaccers: STFU
« on: April 13, 2013, 02:47:16 pm »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-22127237

Well over 2,000 people have been vaccinated at clinics set up to tackle the Swansea measles epidemic as fears were raised it could spread.

It comes down to the Anti-Vaccination brigade and Andrew Wakefield (who wrote the discredited report linking MMR to Autism) telling their parents not to vaccinate their kids.  In an outbreak of Measles in South Wales, roughly 693 children have been affected. 

Please, somebody get Jenny McCarthy and the other brain dead morons to STFU:  They have no evidence to support their position, yet they get loads of airtime to propagate it.
I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley!

Offline Dynamic Dragon

• The Beast
  • Punisher of the Guilty
Re: Dear Anti-Vaccers: STFU
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 03:05:41 pm »
I agree, they need to stop spewing their garbage.  Even if that were true, would you rather have an Autistic child or a dead one?
Learn from the past, live in the present, prepare for the future.

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 03:08:00 pm »
Jenny McCarthy: Species Traitor.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 03:14:00 pm »
I had to get my tetanus booster shot secretly because my dad thought it would make me autistic. Because, you know, it's worse to have an autistic kid than it is to let them get sick from a painful and easily preventable disease.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 03:30:08 pm »
...This would probably violate the right to free speech, but I honestly wish these people would get locked up, simply because the vile nonsense they're spewing is definitively causing harm to people.

To me, free speech ends where it causes provocation and/or actual harm.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Scotsgit

• Is Reenacting Reality or Reality Reenacting?
  • The Beast
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 04:01:31 pm »
It's the fact that they are allowed to spew their bullshit without being challenged:  I get that biased morons like Oprah Winfrey will give them airtime, but for anyone else it's beyond belief.
I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley!

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2013, 04:26:23 pm »
I hate and fear anti-vaccers more than just about anybody. Since so many people are basically science illiterate in the US and lots of other places, the potential death and disability toll from their irrational spew makes me shudder.
Considering how deadly some viruses are, I have to agree that anti-vac propaganda is criminal.

Vaccines are one of the top human accomplishments. Even with early vaccines back in the '50's and '60's, diseases mutated fast enough that we still saw a lot of sad statistics for kids. Things have gotten so much better now, if people will only get their kids vaccinated!

Among my generation, the first epidemic of what is now - thanks to advances in vaccine development and the speed with which new vaccines are distributed - an innocuous childhood illness, rubella. Back then, it caused many fetus, infant and toddler mortalities. Also, lots of hearing loss from the way that virus affected both cochleas and possibly the otic nerve branch. I know lots of people my age who got rubella, had high fevers for days despite getting medical help, and ended up with permanent hearing loss and chronic tinnitus, also facial tics and balance/vertigo problems that can last a lifetime. I personally lost 40% of the hearing in my right ear, and have had exceeding loud tinnitus in both ears since getting rubella as a toddler in '64.

When there are nightmare viruses like ebola out there in the world?... yeah, STFU and Die, Anti-Vaccers!
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2013, 04:28:17 pm »
I wonder how many anti-vaxxers go screaming to their doctor whenever they get ill and demand antibiotics (even when the doctor says it's viral beyond a doubt).
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2013, 05:45:40 pm »
You know I was just thinking about anti-vaxxers because Jim Carrey came out with "Cold Dead Hands", a parody of gun nuts like the late Charlton Heston:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGPDz0Pu5ZQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGPDz0Pu5ZQ</a>

Now, I appreciate the amount of frothing rage that he inspired at Fox News, but I'd be more convinced that he cared about the deaths of children if he hadn't gone on the road with Jenny McCarthy convincing parents across the country that vaccines are the Devil.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2013, 12:28:11 am »
I'm still trying to figure out how Wakefield's paper was EVER published. His research was done on, what, 12 kids? Even if his claims were valid, that's not even close to enough kids to draw any logical conclusions.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2013, 12:29:51 am »
I'm still trying to figure out how Wakefield's paper was EVER published. His research was done on, what, 12 kids? Even if his claims were valid, that's not even close to enough kids to draw any logical conclusions.
Kids whose blood samples he took at a birthday party. Science.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2013, 01:08:49 am »

Big Pharma's vigilance slipped for an instant and the truth accidentally became known.

Now I have to give myself a lobotomy to expunge the part of me that can say such things without feeling ill.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Auggziliary

• The Beast
  • Queen of the birdies
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2013, 02:46:18 am »
Kids whose blood samples he took at a birthday party. Science.

Great, he created the anti-vaccine movement while ruining a kid's birthday party. He sounds like a cartoon villain.
BITCHES! YOU BITCHES! Killing me won't bring back your God damn honey!

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2013, 11:00:54 am »
I haven't read about whether Wakefield has actually admitted to being wrong, but I hope he feels like utter shit for spawning a movement that has resulted in the needless sickness and deaths of so many people. I have a feeling that he doesn't, though.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2013, 11:22:21 am »
I see Wakefield as the father of, "The Internet - The World's Dis-information Highway" (snarky apologies to Al gore,

sort of...). His utterly amateurish and completely invalid "study" was one of the first and worst viral (HA!) conspiracy

rumors to  plague (HA!) the world. See? You can't even describe the whole travesty without it self-imploding from

unintentional terminology double-meanings :) .

Anti-vacc; It's a derp virus.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.