Author Topic: Russia is at it again  (Read 14994 times)

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
Russia is at it again
« on: August 29, 2013, 01:27:27 pm »
At this point, we'll probably need one large mega-thread to compile all the disgusting shit the Russian government is doing now.

Lawmakers seek to implement more anti-LGBT measures. a ban on donating blood and a "voluntary" gay-to-straight conversion service

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
Re: Russia is at it again
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 01:37:26 pm »
Wait... Russia has been more progressive on the blood thing than America? Odd. Is it just me, or is Russia basically just becoming more American?
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 02:00:25 pm »
Try Nazi Germany.

Ironbite-only with gays instead of Jews.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 02:08:28 pm »
Try Nazi Germany.

True, but I was mainly taking about the South, who control way too much. That said, Russia is acting like Nazis to gay people (well, so did the Nazis) and Israel is basically run by anti-Palestinian Nazi Jews. Are Nazis going to be a thing every century?
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".

Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline Leafy

• Radical Radish
  • Pope
  • "My bunny will eat your soul!"
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 04:34:33 pm »
Try Nazi Germany.

True, but I was mainly taking about the South, who control way too much. That said, Russia is acting like Nazis to gay people (well, so did the Nazis) and Israel is basically run by anti-Palestinian Nazi Jews. Are Nazis going to be a thing every century?
Probably, however I really hope it doesn't come to that.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 04:41:51 pm »
I just want to know, why is the Russian government so into this big homophobic pogrom thing, all of the sudden? Something must have triggered Putin to wake up one day & go "I think I'll start a big anti-homosexual pogrom, today". Now, I know that homophobia's big in Russia but I still wonder what was the catalyst?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 05:09:07 pm by SpukiKitty »

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 04:58:07 pm »
I just want to know, why I the Russian government so into this big homophobic pogrom thing, all of the sudden? Something must have triggered Putin to wake up one day & go "I think I'll start a big anti-homosexual pogrom, today". Now, I know that homophobia's big in Russia but I still wonder what was the catalyst?

He needs a safe target to focus the pent up anger of the country on so they don't look inwards at the real problems. The break away republics were good, but constant low-level wars are getting too expensive for his shitty economy. Supporting Syria just to spite the Americans worked well too, but a real fight would be bad and frankly Syria is getting to the point where even Putin can't support the government for much longer without looking lite a twat to his own supporters.

Throw in the uber alpha male persona he constantly tries to project and it's made to order. The only way it could be more blatant would be for him to say that lesbians, the good looking ones at least, are okay and we shouldn't persecute them.

wrightway

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 05:16:42 pm »
Wasn't there a write up within the last week about how they're invading random gay peoples homes on "suspected crimes"?

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 07:06:20 pm »
History, in my perspective, is cyclical.

Every century, there will be another Nazi Party.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Art Vandelay

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 08:29:32 pm »
Only eight posts in and already we've had two Godwins. That must be a new record of some sort.

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2013, 08:38:56 pm »
Only eight posts in and already we've had two Godwins. That must be a new record of some sort.

meh, i've seen worse on the old boards, hell it was so bad 5th post onwards they were meta-godwinning. and besides, putin ain't no nazi, he's a czar in all but name  :P
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2013, 09:27:03 pm »

The Nazis are pretty darn unique.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2013, 11:03:48 pm »

The Nazis are pretty darn unique.
Not really. Russia + Israel for this century. The Nazis for the 1900s. The CSA for the 1800s. I'm sure bigger history buffs can point out regimes that thought some group of people were inferior and enslaved or wiped them out.

You know, the problem with Godwin's law is that it's abused to shut down any comparisons. I'm sorry, but are you saying that a powerful government blaming specific groups of people for all their issues, stealing all their land, wiping them out and making them second class citizens isn't Naziesque?

Art Vandelay

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2013, 11:11:59 pm »
You know, the problem with Godwin's law is that it's abused to shut down any comparisons. I'm sorry, but are you saying that a powerful government blaming specific groups of people for all their issues, stealing all their land, wiping them out and making them second class citizens isn't Naziesque?
Unless they're actually rounding them up and placing them in death camps in an attempt to methodically wipe them all out, then it's still a hyperbole.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2013, 11:17:25 pm »
Unless they're actually rounding them up and placing them in death camps in an attempt to methodically wipe them all out, then it's still a hyperbole.
What if they're bulldozing their houses, stripping them of all their rights and bombing their cities? Is it hyperbole still? Because if not, we still have goddamn Nazi Jews.