Author Topic: Third Atlas Shrugged Movie and Kickstarter  (Read 6762 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Re: Third Atlas Shrugged Movie and Kickstarter
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2013, 10:03:51 am »
Eh, if Left Behind and The Angry Video Game Nerd get their own movies, then something as dumb as an Atlas Shrugged trilogy funded via donations is really quite small potatoes.

The Angry Video Game Nerd get their own movies,

*draws in breath*
WHAAAT!?

...Ahem.

Well I suppose it might suck. And they are probably just trying to take advantage of his popularity and make some cheap B-grade movie to cash in with the die hard fans.

But, it might be funny. Good news for Rolfe anyway.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2013, 10:14:41 am »
I think he's involved with production

Art Vandelay

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2013, 10:26:38 am »
Well I suppose it might suck. And they are probably just trying to take advantage of his popularity and make some cheap B-grade movie to cash in with the die hard fans.

Of course it's going to be a crappy B-movie cash in. The AVGN formula is just playing a crappy retro game and nerd-raging at it. You try and add a story to it and no longer make it solely about old video game rage (like the Super Mario Bros 3 and Rob the Robot episodes), it's absolutely terrible. I'll be very impressed if the movie is even mediocre.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2013, 11:27:20 am »
Booker I am disappoint in you.

Ironbite-thread could've been entitled "Atlas Begged."

I tend to go for titles that are actually a bit more literal. I thought we knew this by now.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2013, 04:55:15 pm »
I think he's involved with production

Involved.  Yeah a little bit involved with the production.  What with writing the script, directing the action, and promoting it.  Very little involvement in fact.  Pretty sure he's just got a cameo in the entire thing.

Of course it's going to be a crappy B-movie cash in. The AVGN formula is just playing a crappy retro game and nerd-raging at it. You try and add a story to it and no longer make it solely about old video game rage (like the Super Mario Bros 3 and Rob the Robot episodes), it's absolutely terrible. I'll be very impressed if the movie is even mediocre.

Cash in nothing.  This is something the AVGN has been trying to do for years.  Just never got the funds together.  Thank the gods for Kickstarter if nothing else.

Booker I am disappoint in you.

Ironbite-thread could've been entitled "Atlas Begged."

I tend to go for titles that are actually a bit more literal. I thought we knew this by now.

But don't you want to mess with my perceptions of reality?

Ironbite-it's ever so much fun.

Offline Hades

• Balsiest Motherfucker Present
  • The Beast
  • This is a ride, not a fight
    • Fruits of Apathy
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2013, 05:07:32 pm »
Eh, if Left Behind and The Angry Video Game Nerd get their own movies, then something as dumb as an Atlas Shrugged trilogy funded via donations is really quite small potatoes.

Left Behind used to be my favorite unintentional comedy of all time, until it was booted to second place by The Room.
22:22 <SugarFreeJazz> the time for hats is now

"I don't know what it is, but nothing makes me hard like the thought of Megan Fox without any skin." - Existentialist Goofy

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2013, 07:38:54 pm »

Left Behind used to be my favorite unintentional comedy of all time, until it was booted to second place by The Room.

Have you seen Birdemic? It used to be on Netflix, but it got taken off I think. It was terrible in the best way.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2013, 10:29:00 pm »
Hold up. There were two of these movies already? I know Colbert ripped on one of them pretty damned hard, but how'd they manage to make a 2nd one? Never mind a 3rd? Shouldn't they have learned that the market spoke, and simply isn't interested?
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2013, 07:45:50 am »
Hold up. There were two of these movies already? I know Colbert ripped on one of them pretty damned hard, but how'd they manage to make a 2nd one? Never mind a 3rd? Shouldn't they have learned that the market spoke, and simply isn't interested?

Yes but that's logical.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2013, 11:35:15 pm »

They're the Missionary Libertarians.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2013, 03:08:32 am »
This is without doubt the best thing that has ever happened.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2013, 07:11:49 pm »
This is without doubt the best thing that has ever happened.

Consideration for the future:  FSTDT meetup and we rent these movies to MST3K them.  We'll order pizza, buy sodas and ice cream... it'd be great!
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2013, 04:50:22 am »
It looks like they'll make their goal easily, too (they have $150,000 out of $250,000 already, and it launched 4 days ago).

Also, the movie is already funded, or so they claim. Supposedly the kickstarter money is mostly for marketing and distribution. (250k should not be nearly enough to fund the whole movie)

Yeah, that's really low. The movie I did looks professional and includes a lot of rather large-scale scenes, but it still cost about $500,000. $250,000 on a feature film will end up looking like a Youtube movie. According to the FAQ, it's a total budget of $10 million. What they're asking for is a rather small portion, and I have no clue where the rest of the funding came from; you'd think that if they had literally multiple millions of dollars already in the bank, they wouldn't need an internet charity site of all places to get the last scraps.

Also, I love this quote from the Kickstarter:

Amazingly, it is incredible word-of-mouth alone that continues to drive sales.

Yes, that's exactly why people have ever heard of Ayn Rand: people talking about it.

Just like Jack Kerouac and Aldous Huxley, right? Sold exclusively on word-of-mouth?
Still can't think of a signature a year later.