Author Topic: Texas orders pregnant woman with a DNR order to be kept on life support  (Read 27592 times)

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
DNR means Do Not Resuscitate.

http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/texas-father-barred-taking-pregnant-wife-off-life-200600388.html

Munoz said in a WFAA News report that four years ago, when Marlise's brother was killed in an accident, she told him that she would never want to be on life support — something they had discussed many times since.

. . .

A month later, against his requests, she is still on a ventilator. Not only does Munoz want to honor his wife's wishes, but also he believes that the fetus she is carrying has been seriously harmed. "I don't know how long she was there prior to me finding her," he said. Munoz, who could not be reached for comment, wrote on WFAA's Facebook page, "All I know is that she was without oxygen long enough for her to have massive brain swelling. I unfortunately know what that type of damage could do to a child during crucial developmental time." Doctors say it's likely that Munoz's wife suffered a pulmonary embolism, and no longer has brain activity.

. . .

When Munoz first arrived at the hospital, he discovered that, according to Texas law, life-sustaining procedures may not be withheld or withdrawn from a pregnant woman, — even if she has an advance health care directive (also called a living will) stipulating that she does not want to be kept alive on a machine.

. . .

But according to the Center for Women Policy Studies, as of 2012, Texas and 11 other states have automatically invalidated pregnant women's advance directives to refrain from using extraordinary measures to keep them alive, and others have slightly less restrictive but similar laws.
(I didn't quote it, but the article says she was 14 weeks along at the time of 'death', and is now 18 weeks.)

I have too many thoughts to put down right now.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 07:59:40 pm by Iosa the Invincible »

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Re: Texas orders pregnant woman with a DNR order to be kept on life support
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2013, 08:01:34 pm »
Oh good lord it's just coming out now.

Ironbite-ladies...you're only incubators.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2013, 08:15:07 pm »
Jesus christ, that's fucked up.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2013, 08:41:27 pm »
This is disgusting. I can't even.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline lord gibbon

• That Weird Guy in the Corner
  • The Beast
  • living trivia machine
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2013, 09:30:48 pm »
FUCK THESE PEOPLE! TEXAS' LAW MUST CHANGE! GRAAAHHHH!
Excuse me, sir, do you have a minute to talk about your lord and savior, Hannibal Barca?

Quote from: Seneca
Religion is regarded by the common man as true, by the wise man as false, and by the powerful man as useful
Yeah, if the pagans are so smart, why did Jesus invade Pagan-land on the back of a dragon and kill them all!

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2013, 10:05:28 pm »
Remember my "small town justice with a sniper rifle" quote from the Steubenville horribleness thread? Yeah, I found a new target: the invisable dot between the lawmaker's eyes.
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2013, 08:08:29 am »
Remember my "small town justice with a sniper rifle" quote from the Steubenville horribleness thread? Yeah, I found a new target: the invisable dot between the lawmaker's eyes.

inb4 secret service

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2013, 08:18:50 am »

inb4 secret service
inb4 I don't even have a sniper rifle, I'm just venting on the internet.
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2013, 01:19:57 pm »
Quote function not working well but this isn't a Texas law.  This is one judge who has decided to say this woman is an incubator and must remain on life support until her precious cargo is discharged.  Then she can go.  This is a Texas judge saying that women are not actual human beings but things.

Ironbite-disgusting.

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2013, 02:35:35 pm »
Even though her "precious cargo" is either dead too or will be born with serious life threatening deformities. Because pro "life!"

Offline Alehksunos

• Transvestite Boo-kin
  • The Beast
  • Gay Witch for Abortion
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2013, 04:27:33 pm »
FUCK THESE PEOPLE! TEXAS' LAW MUST CHANGE! GRAAAHHHH!

Which will sadly never happen. Since the Supreme Court declined an hearing on the overturning of the after 20 weeks abortion ban and the termination of dozens of family planning clinics, nobody gives a fuck about us. Almost every other American I hear of are so indifferent toward us they wouldn't consider the succession of the Texas state a tragedy at all, rather a joyous day that this nation no longer has to deal with us.

It is our duty to:
  • Emigrate from the Texas state, if there is sufficient funds because most of us "Commie pinko liberal fags" here don't.
  • With no option left and our bitterness and nihilism caving in on us, commit suicide.
God isn't dead, there was no god to begin with. The cruel irony is that these supermen still worship him and use his name to oppress us.

/pretentious, whiny Nietzscheism
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 04:29:49 pm by Alehksunos »

Offline Yla

• The Beast
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2013, 07:48:32 am »
Is it bad that if some circumstances were different, I'd support this? The fact that the embryo/fetus is still rather young, and probably dead too clinches it, but if it were a still healthy third-trimester fetus...

A living woman's right to bodily autonomy supersedes, but she's dead. And I do not consider a last will more important than the life of a feasible fetus.
That said, I've stopped trying to anticipate what people around here want a while ago, I've found it makes things smoother.
For I was an hungred, and ye told me to pull myself up by my bootstraps: I was thirsty, and ye demanded payment for the privilege of thine urine: I was a stranger, and ye deported me: naked, and ye arrested me for indecency.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2013, 09:32:09 am »
Only actual laws should trump a person's last wishes.  This is a case where the conservative retards have, in their own pea-brains, decided that the fetus dying with the mother is murder.  It doesn't, to them, matter at what stage the pregnancy is at.  Now, if the fetus were viable when the mother died, then yes, do try to save it, but seriously...the mother's dead.  I'm sorry, Mr. Fetus, but bad luck is bad luck, and we shouldn't violate someone's last wishes for something that likely can't even think yet.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2013, 10:54:20 am »
The real bullshit part of this whole thing is that even in Texas it is perfectly legal to abort a fetus prior to 21 weeks. Up until that point in time there is no aggrieved party for the state intervene on behalf of; it is solely at the discretion of the mother, and if she has decided on DNR it should stand.

After that magical point in time the whole abortion debate gets to re-open (thanks to your stupid laws).

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2013, 02:53:38 pm »
The was a presumably conservative news site that neglected to mention the circumstances around the woman's death, including the fact that the fetus was without oxygen for an indeterminate amount of time.  This has lead the pro-life commenters to stupidly assume that the issue of the fetus surviving is simply a matter of nutrition, and not one of oxygen deprivation, so they're clamoring about "giving the fetus a chance of survival" with one even saying that it will most likely be born healthy. 

Hell, there are some commenters on the Yahoo! article, which mentions the oxygen deprivation, that the fetus should be kept alive because "we don't know for sure if the fetus is damaged, so there's a chance it's okay."