Author Topic: Archbishop of Detroit endorses program to "help" gays remain chaste.  (Read 2242 times)

Offline rageaholic

• The Beast
Link

I don't know whether to laugh or to cry.  On one hand it's funny how desperate the church is getting to control people's sexuals organs, but on the other hand it's disturbing that these unhealthy and outdated views about sex are being endorsed.  And of course, you got people in the comments saying that it's not discriminatory since the church encourages all to be chaste until marriage.  Never mind that.

1.  Their stance on Same Sex Marriage discourages gays from getting married. 
2.  The rigid and outdated views on human sexuality are harmful whether it's discriminatory or not. 

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
Re: Archbishop of Detroit endorses program to "help" gays remain chaste.
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 04:26:44 pm »
A misquote.  He said, "If we'd all grab our torches and pitchforks, the gay would be chased."
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 07:25:40 pm »
So, in other words, there's nothing wrong with being gay, only with having gay sex.  I wonder: do these people even understand their own logic?

Offline Rime

• Pope
  • Born too slow
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 08:40:29 pm »
This is their idea of a "compromise." On one hand it makes them look better than Fundamentalist Protestants who think that anyone who has a same-sex attraction should be publicly humiliated, given a swift and fair trial and then stoned to death regardless.  On the other hand, they're still trying their damnedest to frustrate everyone's sex life. 
And when we're done soul searching,
And we carry the weight and die for a cause.
Is misery made beautiful
Right before our eyes.

Mercy be revealed, or blind us where we stand?

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 08:47:27 pm »
It's amazing how much the Church thinks it needs to be in somebody's bedroom.

Ironbite-but then again when you think about it's origins it makes sense.

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2014, 08:20:12 am »
That's the single most sexually frustrated thing I've ever read that wasn't on a MRA/MGTOW site.
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2014, 03:16:26 am »
Well if you think about it, this is not really all that crazy or strange.
The christian religion requires women to remain virgins until marriage, and is strongly against sex outside of marriage. Included in that is a specific rule against male homosexual sex.

While it may seem like they are just trying to oppress gays and get all up in their faces, we must also remember how often churches focus on abstinence only programs for unmarried people. If anything this shows that they are at least trying to welcome people into thier church while still remaining as faithful to the texts as possible given that it is a massive contradictory mess.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2014, 11:07:55 am »
"Remaining faithful to the text" is a weak excuse. There's a billion things condemned in the Bible that the Church ignores.

The Church could give up, adapt to the times, and let the whole anti-gay thing be yet another addition into the Hall of Stupid Things the Church Used to Do but Doesn't Anymore. They won't, because a)they don't want to and b) society is still too divided and they'd lose support of their biggest fans, who'd probably start a schism or something. (There are some Catholics who think there hasn't been a legitimate Pope since Vatican II)

My point being, what stops the Church from giving up on this is not a magical contract forcing them to uphold the literal words of the Bible. It's partly political necessity, and mostly that they don't really like gay people.
Σא

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2014, 01:53:01 pm »
A schism amongst Christians?  That there's serious problem, not like modern Christianity doesn't already more closely resemble a Rorschach test than an actual, established religion.  Seriously, the Vatican should either evolve or die, either way works for me, just so long as something is done sooner rather than later.  They've had, like, 2,000 years in the sun, maybe its time for them to move the fuck over for something else.

Almost makes me wonder what would've happened had Emperor Constantine (I think it was him, at least) hadn't seen that "in this sign, you will conquer" hallucination, or at least dismissed it as the hallucination it was, instead of taking it at face value like a damned moron.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2014, 03:14:31 pm »
Almost makes me wonder what would've happened had Emperor Constantine (I think it was him, at least) hadn't seen that "in this sign, you will conquer" hallucination, or at least dismissed it as the hallucination it was, instead of taking it at face value like a damned moron.

It was indeed Constantine I.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_hoc_signo_vinces
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline rageaholic

• The Beast
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2014, 01:46:59 pm »
Well if you think about it, this is not really all that crazy or strange.
The christian religion requires women to remain virgins until marriage, and is strongly against sex outside of marriage. Included in that is a specific rule against male homosexual sex.

While it may seem like they are just trying to oppress gays and get all up in their faces, we must also remember how often churches focus on abstinence only programs for unmarried people. If anything this shows that they are at least trying to welcome people into thier church while still remaining as faithful to the texts as possible given that it is a massive contradictory mess.

It's not, but there's an underlying problem with the church being so anal (no pun intended, seriously!) about sex.  To me, it sounds like a controlling, abusive relationship in which the abuser (the church) acts as if they're doing a favor to people when they're really trying to exert more control over their parishioners.  At least that's how I see it (but I'm cynical that way).