Author Topic: Carving Up California  (Read 2126 times)

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Carving Up California
« on: July 20, 2014, 03:01:22 pm »
http://www.newsweek.com/billionaire-proposes-splitting-california-six-states-259083

Venture capitalist Tim Draper wants to dismantle California and is proposing a ballot measure that would split the state into six pieces, Reuters reports. The resulting six states would be called North California, South California, West California, Central California, Silicon Valley and Jefferson, the last named in recognition of an ongoing attempt by counties in Northern California and southern Oregon to form their own state of the same name.

The San Jose Mercury News has the rundown:

“[M]uch of the Bay Area, plus Santa Cruz and Monterey counties, would become the state of Silicon Valley. California’s northernmost parts would become Jefferson, as some counties up there have wanted for years; some North Bay counties would become part of North California; Stockton, Fresno and Bakersfield would be among Central California’s largest cities; Los Angeles, Ventura and Santa Barbara would wind up in West California; and San Diego would anchor South California.”

Draper told Newsweek he has more than enough signatures to get the measure in front of voters in 2016. “We needed to come up with 808,000,” he said in a phone interview. “We ended up with 1.3 million.”
Yeah, not gonna happen.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
Re: Carving Up California
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 04:04:20 pm »
This is a thinly-veiled proposal by Republicans to rig statewide elections in their favor by quarantining off "undesirable" parts of the states. The fact that demographics change over time and the Republican party may be in a position decades from now where they would be relying on today's state boundaries is totally lost on them -- this is petty and short-sighted.

Do they want to carve up Texas? No? Didn't think so.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 04:09:37 pm »
This is a thinly-veiled proposal by Republicans to rig statewide elections in their favor by quarantining off "undesirable" parts of the states. The fact that demographics change over time and the Republican party may be in a position decades from now where they would be relying on today's state boundaries is totally lost on them -- this is petty and short-sighted.

Do they want to carve up Texas? No? Didn't think so.
I don't think it's that.  The opposition to this is bipartisan: http://blog.sfgate.com/nov05election/2014/04/03/bipartisan-opposition-rises-to-plan-to-split-state/.

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 05:16:10 pm »
If it's bipartisan, then it's bipartisan stupidity. Might as well support Aztlan.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 05:23:26 pm »
Extreme Gerrymandering, the pure blooded Republican's sport.  If you hate it, then you're clearly a RINO.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2014, 08:38:33 pm »
It also won't happen.  There's not enough red to counteract the deep blue in the populations centers.

Ironbite-but it's cute that they're trying this.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2014, 09:30:38 pm »
It also won't happen.  There's not enough red to counteract the deep blue in the populations centers.

Like I said, I don't think it's Gerrymandering.  If it was, then why would there be bipartisan opposition to the plan?

Offline lord gibbon

• That Weird Guy in the Corner
  • The Beast
  • living trivia machine
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2014, 10:31:15 pm »

Like I said, I don't think it's Gerrymandering.  If it was, then why would there be bipartisan opposition to the plan?
Because some of the more cautious conservatives realize it might set a precedent for other divided states... Texas, perhaps?
Excuse me, sir, do you have a minute to talk about your lord and savior, Hannibal Barca?

Quote from: Seneca
Religion is regarded by the common man as true, by the wise man as false, and by the powerful man as useful
Yeah, if the pagans are so smart, why did Jesus invade Pagan-land on the back of a dragon and kill them all!

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2014, 10:32:58 pm »

Because some of the more cautious conservatives realize it might set a precedent for other divided states... Texas, perhaps?
Possibly.

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2014, 11:49:01 pm »
If Texas does actually split from the union, then it splits itself into several smaller states.  For some reason when they made their state constitution, someone inserted that clause.

Ironbite-*throws the keys to the Delorean into the key bowel*

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2014, 05:58:01 am »
If Texas does actually split from the union, then it splits itself into several smaller states.  For some reason when they made their state constitution, someone inserted that clause.

Ironbite-*throws the keys to the Delorean into the key bowel*
Really?  Do you have a link or something?

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2014, 08:46:09 am »
http://www.snopes.com/history/american/texas.asp

And while there's a clause in Texas' constitution that provides for this, another clause in the US Constitution might prevent any of those new states that form from Texas from joining the Union.

Ironbite-of which we still are.

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2014, 08:51:36 am »
Wow, Republicans know they can't win an election with their archaic beliefs, religion/label spouting, and money from businesses people so they resort to finding 'legal' ways to bend voting results in their favor, even if it means restricting voting and changing voting districts so those voting for them are larger.

Hopefully this continues to work as well as it did in 2012, especially here in good ol' Florida where Rick Scott and his buddies tried to screw up voting so badly that it took several days to acknowledge a presidential winner . . . and Obama STILL won! 

Yeah, great job learning from hostiry, CA!
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Nemo

• Pope
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2014, 12:22:28 am »
I can sort of imagine the idea. Split off a small red state, get a few more senators. There are some conservative parts of California, at least at the moment. Still a stupid idea, which is probably why many Republicans oppose it. Also, a lot of Americans like having an even fifty states.
"If it's white or Jewish then they're criminals, if it's two brown people killing each other ... meh, that's their culture and we should respect it ... cultural relativists should be ashamed of themselves." - Faisal Saeed Al Mutar

Offline mythbuster43

• Pope
    • Northwest View
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2014, 07:31:46 pm »
I can sort of imagine the idea. Split off a small red state, get a few more senators. There are some conservative parts of California, at least at the moment. Still a stupid idea, which is probably why many Republicans oppose it. Also, a lot of Americans like having an even fifty states.

Some conservative parts of California include Orange County, where the John Birch Society was founded.