Author Topic: Deadly Amtrak Accident in Philadelphia  (Read 2963 times)

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
Re: Deadly Amtrak Accident in Philadelphia
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 11:19:36 am »
Something really sad about that is there's no passenger manifest. They know of about 250 people who bought tickets for this DC - NYC commuter train. But really, there's no way to account for everyone on the train.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline mythbuster43

• Pope
    • Northwest View
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 12:33:25 am »
http://news.yahoo.com/amtrak-train-derails-killing-5-people-investigation-begins-073410531--finance.html

See, this is why our infrastructure needs to be fixed.

The right-wingers are already yelling at people who are saying that this is why infrastructure needs to be fixed. Clearly, it is the fault of gay people since the engineer was gay.

I'm not kidding. Right-wingers actually believe this.

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/anti-gay-pundit-homosexuality-factor-amtrak-crash

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 10:04:43 am »
What? They think he was doing poppers and blowing the throttle lever, or riding on it? I won't even read that wharrgarble.

Anyway, I've read a couple reports mentioning the windscreen showed clear evidence it was damaged prior to the crash, having a circular hole in the lower left corner, with circular crack pattern radiation, like when a rock or bullet hits that type of windscreen.  And that quite a few projectile impacts had been reported by other train engineers in the area recently. And the engineer in the crash was reported to have been found unconscious with a head concussion and significant head wound requiring quite a few stitches. And that he reported a windscreen impact on the radio prior to the crash. He may have passed out within moments of his radio report (which he does not remember yet) after an impact to his head.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 04:50:37 pm »
So essentially someone knocked him out and he leaned on the throttle going into this curve only to wake up enough to pull back to 101?

Ironbite-hope the evidence supports this.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2015, 06:40:47 am »
What? They think he was doing poppers and blowing the throttle lever, or riding on it? I won't even read that wharrgarble.

Anyway, I've read a couple reports mentioning the windscreen showed clear evidence it was damaged prior to the crash, having a circular hole in the lower left corner, with circular crack pattern radiation, like when a rock or bullet hits that type of windscreen.  And that quite a few projectile impacts had been reported by other train engineers in the area recently. And the engineer in the crash was reported to have been found unconscious with a head concussion and significant head wound requiring quite a few stitches. And that he reported a windscreen impact on the radio prior to the crash. He may have passed out within moments of his radio report (which he does not remember yet) after an impact to his head.

The implication being that some fuckheads in that area are throwing rocks or even shooting at passing trains? Am I reading that right?

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2015, 06:54:30 am »
The implication being that some fuckheads in that area are throwing rocks or even shooting at passing trains? Am I reading that right?
Either that or there is some loose debris that keeps hitting the trains.

Considering that people throw rocks at cars from bridges I have no trouble believing that there are morons who would do the same to trains. Either they don't realize how many lives they are putting at risk with what they believe to be childish pranks ...or they do realize it and do this for that exact reason.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Art Vandelay

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2015, 07:21:36 am »
Considering that people throw rocks at cars from bridges I have no trouble believing that there are morons who would do the same to trains. Either they don't realize how many lives they are putting at risk with what they believe to be childish pranks ...or they do realize it and do this for that exact reason.
It's the possibility that they may actually be shooting at trains purely for the fun of it that's a tad unsettling. Damn America, you scary.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2015, 07:56:49 am »
It's the possibility that they may actually be shooting at trains purely for the fun of it that's a tad unsettling. Damn America, you scary.

Which of these three scenarios is the scariest:

a) People shoot at trains OR throw heavy objects at trains because they think it is "harmless" fun that only damages the vehicles and don't realize the lives they endanger.
b) They do the thing DESPITE knowing the dangers but they just don't care.
c) They aim to kill people and cause disasters like this.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Art Vandelay

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2015, 08:12:58 am »

Which of these three scenarios is the scariest:

a) People shoot at trains OR throw heavy objects at trains because they think it is "harmless" fun that only damages the vehicles and don't realize the lives they endanger.
b) They do the thing DESPITE knowing the dangers but they just don't care.
c) They aim to kill people and cause disasters like this.

Either way, the end result is the same. Especially if they're using guns rather than rocks. Though if I had to pick, I'd go with a), simply because stupidity is so much more common than that kind of malice.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2015, 09:08:56 am »
Investigators are saying it was not a gunshot that hit the window of the train, but something much larger instead.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/amtrak-crash-investigator-skeptical-train-came-under-fire/
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades