Author Topic: Police officer throws student across room for texting in class  (Read 6115 times)

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
Police officer throws student across room for texting in class
« on: October 27, 2015, 08:21:15 pm »
I wish I were making this up.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/south-carolina-school-officer-student-arrest-1.3290766

A girl who refused to surrender her phone after texting in math class was flipped backward and tossed across the classroom floor by a sheriff's deputy, prompting a federal civil rights probe on Tuesday.

The sheriff said the girl "may have had a rug burn" but was not injured, and said the teacher and vice-principal felt the officer acted appropriately. Still, videos of the confrontation between a white officer and black teenager stirred such outrage that he called the FBI and Justice Department for help.

Now, there is one bright spot:

Richland County Sheriff Leon Lott suspended Senior Deputy Ben Fields without pay, and said what he did at Spring Valley High School in Columbia, South Carolina "made him want to throw up."

Videos taken by students and posted online show Fields warning the girl to leave her seat or be forcibly removed on Monday. The officer then wraps a forearm around her neck, flips her and the desk backward onto the floor, tosses her toward the front of the classroom and handcuffs her.

Lott pointed out at a news conference that the girl can also be seen trying to strike the officer as she was being taken down, but said he's focused on the deputy's actions as he decides within 24 hours whether Fields should remain on the force.

And this is what happens when you put police officers in schools, pretty much.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Re: Police officer throws student across room for texting in class
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 08:35:29 pm »
NO this is when you put thugs in schools disguised as police officers

Offline Damen

• That's COMMODORE SPLATMASTER Damen, Briber of Mods
  • The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
    • John Damen's Photography
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 09:18:23 pm »
No, this is what happens when you give a thug a badge.
"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2015, 10:15:02 pm »
I'll have to agree with dpareja that this is what happens when you put police in schools. There is one profession that can largely evade consequences for assaulting people; the way our social institutions favor them can really get to their head.

A kid doesn't respect a cop's authoritah and she gets tossed across the room. Welcome to a police state.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2015, 02:47:20 am »
Is there still any information on what massive crime the girl did to deserve this?

I mean, all I've read so far is that a teacher asked her to be removed from class and she refused to leave. I don't see anything that would require her being flipped over and torn off the desk.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2015, 02:52:51 am »
[T]he teacher and vice-principal felt the officer acted appropriately.

the officer acted appropriately

acted appropriately

*sputters incomprehensibly* The fuck?! Acted fucking APPROPRIATELY?!?!
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2015, 03:11:24 am »
Is there still any information on what massive crime the girl did to deserve this?

I mean, all I've read so far is that a teacher asked her to be removed from class and she refused to leave. I don't see anything that would require her being flipped over and torn off the desk.

She was caught texting and refused to hand over her cell phone. Never mind not respecting the police officer's authority, she didn't respect the teacher's, either, but instead of handling it properly, the teacher just called in the local cop.
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2015, 04:02:47 am »

She was caught texting and refused to hand over her cell phone. Never mind not respecting the police officer's authority, she didn't respect the teacher's, either, but instead of handling it properly, the teacher just called in the local cop.

...That little shit. Kids and their DAMN CELLPHONES! Always texting or "tweetering" or using some whatsup or whatever. I fully support this police officer and recommend that he be awarded for his actions. /sarcasm

This is actually an issue that annoys my wife since the kids know that the teacher isn't allowed to TAKE the phone from them and all she can do is either stop the class until the kid agrees to put the phone away, call the principal for assistance or let the kid continue distracting the class.

Still, you would think that a trained police officer would have more tricks than just "Talk" and "MAXIMUM FORCE!"
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2015, 06:38:22 am »
I'll have to agree with dpareja that this is what happens when you put police in schools. There is one profession that can largely evade consequences for assaulting people; the way our social institutions favor them can really get to their head.

A kid doesn't respect a cop's authoritah and she gets tossed across the room. Welcome to a police state.

I'm seconding Chew. I posted a great article on here a few years ago that contained an illustrative case study. One inner-city school had a lot of violence, and it was very common to see armed police guards walking the hallways of the school. New principle comes in, fires the guards. Uses the money he saves to paint murals that highlight the importance of education. Not surprisingly, school attendance went up, violence decreased considerably, and grades improved.

The lesson I took from this case study is that schools should focus on education and not tacitly displaying a mentality of "might makes right" to its students via the constructive force of the state. Wish I could find this study, but eh.

The other reason I have to agree with Chew is that all this police brutality (that is finally becoming an issue) is much more indicative of a widespread problem than a single "thug in a school disguised as a police officer." ETA: And if our police have a less than stellar track-record of using appropriate force against grown adults, then I don't think they should be put in environments with children.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 06:47:51 am by The_Queen »
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2015, 09:52:58 am »
I'm gonna engage my inner conspiracy theorist for a moment and try to explain why the current establishment wants vicious thugs, unthinking creatures in the guise of man, to patrol what ought to be halls of learning.

It has to do with the prison-industrial complex.  The private prison industry makes a LOT of money, but they only make a lot of money if they have a lot of people incarcerated.  Thus, the use some of their money to give certain administrators kickbacks and encourage an atmosphere of fear and "might makes right" in our society's most sensitive members: its children.  The children respond to the presence of these howling jackals in their schools with either sullen resentment, growing a seed of distrust of authority in their minds, outright defiance, or Stockholm-esque respect for the fear they elicit in others as a symbol of control and power.  The children see this and respond accordingly, the earlier you get to them, the more ingrained this response is and, thus, once they become adults, they're more likely to mouth off to police officers, more likely to disobey laws, and thus, more likely to go to the selfsame private prisons to help line the pockets of those at the head of the prison-industrial complex.

TL;DR: The system works.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2015, 11:45:18 am »
And some good news:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/south-carolina-deputy-student-flipped-1.3292187

The white sheriff's deputy who was caught on video flipping a black high school student out of her classroom chair in Columbia, South Carolina, will be relieved of duty, MSNBC reported on Wednesday.

He was fired.

Now I hope that girl's family sues for everything they can get.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2015, 11:55:38 am »
Maybe he and Michael Slager could get together sometime.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2015, 01:05:27 pm »
A slightly different incident:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRrU0R6pew0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRrU0R6pew0</a>

Teacher took a phone off a kid who was disturbing the class. This is certainly among the more "awkward" looking fights I've seen.

pyro

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2015, 09:52:29 am »
Hmmm...

I should probably make it clear that I don't support texting in class. It distracts the students that want to learn, and not being a student that wants to learn is generally a bad idea.

But that cop clearly went too far.

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2015, 10:01:09 am »
Hmmm...

I should probably make it clear that I don't support texting in class. It distracts the students that want to learn, and not being a student that wants to learn is generally a bad idea.

But that cop clearly went too far.

i can get behind that. i'm sure we're not the only two.
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯