Author Topic: Free Speech in North Korea  (Read 8316 times)

Offline TheContrarian

• Pope
  • Inter faeces et urinam nascimur
Free Speech in North Korea
« on: March 22, 2016, 03:38:46 pm »
So you and three generations of your family may end up in a labour camp if you speak out of turn and someone reports you to the authorities.

It's not like they can STOP you speaking your mind.  No one said freedom of speech means freedom from consequences.  You should check your privilege and get back to work, peasant...

"What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
Re: Free Speech in North Korea
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2016, 03:39:46 pm »
So you and three generations of your family may end up in a labour camp if you speak out of turn and someone reports you to the authorities.

It's not like they can STOP you speaking your mind.  No one said freedom of speech means freedom from consequences.  You should check your privilege and get back to work, peasant...

It's spelled "labor"
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2016, 03:44:44 pm »
And yes, she means "spelled", not "spelt". Spelt is a grain crop.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2016, 03:49:13 pm »
Oh fuck off, Contrarian.
Who needs a signature?

Offline TheContrarian

• Pope
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2016, 03:52:25 pm »
Oh fuck off, Contrarian.

Or what, you'll get all your leftist mates to cyber-harass me on twitter?

Sorry mate, not going to work.

"What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2016, 04:08:01 pm »
1. Did anyone say North Korea had free speech?

2. Does anyone suggest emulating North Korea's Agrarian Feudal Government?

3. I may be a luddite but who the fuck is on twitter anyway?

Offline TheContrarian

• Pope
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2016, 04:12:54 pm »
1. Did anyone say North Korea had free speech?

2. Does anyone suggest emulating North Korea's Agrarian Feudal Government?

3. I may be a luddite but who the fuck is on twitter anyway?

1. It's an extension of the logic behind it being perfectly acceptable to doc drop and cyberbully someone if they say something you disagree with.

2. Oh probably, but that's not the point.

3. Many millions of people.  Mainly vapid celebrities, daft ponykins and several people I was acquainted with in decades past that I have no desire to reconnect with now.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2016, 04:15:36 pm »
That reminds me, What did they French say to the English at Agincourt? That's quite a long bow you're drawing there.

Offline TheContrarian

• Pope
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2016, 04:18:24 pm »
That reminds me, What did they French say to the English at Agincourt? That's quite a long bow you're drawing there.

I imagine it's fairly difficult to say anything when you've got a face full of mud and your own entrails...

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2016, 04:25:19 pm »
Nice way to avoid the point. Which is that it's quite a long bow to draw a comparison between having spotty* angst ridden tumblerites telling you to kill yourself and being thrown in a state sponsored gulag to be tortured and then fed to wild dogs.

What brought this on anyway? Did you threaten to rape Clem Ford on twitter and did she repost your details and your message to your mum?

Is that why you've been so quiet, did your mum take away your computer privileges for the past couple of weeks?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 04:28:57 pm by davedan »

Offline TheContrarian

• Pope
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2016, 04:30:00 pm »
Nice way to avoid the point. Which is that it's quite a long bow to draw a comparison between having spotting angst ridden tumblerites telling you to kill yourself and being thrown in a state sponsored gulag to be tortured and then fed to wild dogs.

What brought this on anyway? Did you threaten to rape Clem Ford on twitter and did she repost your details and your message to your mum?

Is that why you've been so quiet, did your mum take away your computer privileges for the past couple of weeks?

1. Think about it.  The government, figuratively at least, are meant to embody the will of the people.  In the case of North Korea it's the will of a small group of people enforced onto the masses.

What do you think leftist cyberbullying on social media is entirely aimed at?  Ultimately it's about enforcing conformity of speech, action and thought among the masses.  They just cut out the middleman and go straight to the violence themselves.

2. I don't use social media because of the excessive prevalence of windowlickers.  But even if I did, i'm not stupid enough to sign up with my own name, location or anything identifying.  What the fuck is wrong with you people?

3. Some of us actually have to work for a living.  Those nice progressive social programs don't pay for themselves you know.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 04:31:34 pm by TheContrarian »

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2016, 04:52:24 pm »
1. Thought about it. Huge non sequitur.  Besides I thought you were against government action rather than the free expression of individual will. You can't complain about the will of some individuals because you don't like them. Hell if they started a business  doing it you should be right behind it.

What is hilarious is that you probably unironically refer to left wing hugboxes but then compare someone saying mean things about you on the internet to state sponsored torture in a concentration camp. Won't someone think of your poor feelings?

2. You mean your mum deleted your twitter account. I'm sorry. Did she let you keep your super edgy facebook page? The one where your username is Steel Churchill or somesuch shit?

3. Helping your mum take in the groceries and cleaning your room isn't really traditionally known as work. Oh you mean collecting all the shopping trolleys at the supermarket? Ok fair enough that looks hard.

4. As an aside that I don't want to get into here because this is a silly emo thread, we all shouldnt have to work. The level of productivity we have achieved through technology and automation is such that we all probably don't need to work. The reason we keep needing to work is partly to ensure that people have enough money to keep consuming all the items that are produced. However this is a complex and nuanced discussion which I would prefer to discuss with people who:

a) aren't so caught up in 20th century political ideologies of left and right (which were only convenient descriptors and now aren't even that);

b) don't compare meanies on the internet to death camps;

c) aren't the reincarnation of Rik from the youngones.

Offline TheContrarian

• Pope
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2016, 04:54:56 pm »
We...aren't living in an Iain M Banks novel...

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2016, 04:55:41 pm »
Oh fuck off, Contrarian.

Or what, you'll get all your leftist mates to cyber-harass me on twitter?

Sorry mate, not going to work.
OMG Cloud persecuted Contrarian. Just like in North Communist Russo-ChiCuba.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2016, 05:09:07 pm »
I kinda get where Conty's going with this.  He's saying that the whole "freedom of speech isn't freedom from consequences" line is often used as an excuse to attack people merely for stating their opinions.

For example:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSsk_k7MBpw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSsk_k7MBpw</a>

And here's some reactions to the incident:

https://archive.is/Sb55b

I'm sorry, but "attacked"?

If someone gives you that "attack helicopter" line and you restrain yourself from outright decking them in the face, that's not an attack, that's a herculean feat of self restraint.

Lauren Southern is an irritating person with absurd opinions. It's not surprising that she would be "attacked" when airing those opinions outside of her internet hugbox.

Play a shitty game, win a shitty prize.

Actions have consequences, especially shitty actions in public

But his argument is seriously flawed.  Hyperbole aside, a common refrain from these people is "only the government can censor."  And what happens in North Korea is government censorship.