Author Topic: Google facing multiple lawsuits  (Read 49396 times)

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
Re: Google facing multiple lawsuits
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2017, 11:55:40 pm »
The stopped clock effect may apply in some cases, Lana, but that is not a reason to think the clock is right in all other cases. Let's use the example of the Nazis - the Nazis banned smoking, and had some animal welfare policies. Does this make the Nazis somehow okay or deserve to be looked at in the full scope as an equal and possibly just group? No, they're the fucking Nazis; just because there might well be a potentially good position in there doesn't mean you should exalt this person or group.

Because they could well have reached that position for some utterly questionable or detestable reasons; the Nazis for example saw the smoking business as an unhealthy Jewish conspiracy, and were primarily against it because it was a personal wank issue of Hitler himself.

Would you say the same about some other questionable materials Lana? He shares the same ideas as a number of other memos and books, which are simply more explicit about the ideas he tried to let slide through using more subtle methods, which ultimately failed and he was called out as a conservative conspiratorial lunatic, resulting in his firing.

Tell me, has a sane man ever written about liberal media bias and cultural marxism, and not at the same time held thoroughly repugnant beliefs?
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2017, 12:22:06 am »
Murdin:

Hey Lana Direct Question:  What do you think of Murdin's post?  Will you admit you were wrong now that it's proven you were?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 12:26:29 am by Skybison »

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 08:49:33 am by Askold »
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2017, 01:12:50 am »
So, since this thread is dead and Lana isn't responding, anyone have any plans this weekend?
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2017, 01:35:20 am »
So, since this thread is dead and Lana isn't responding, anyone have any plans this weekend?

Oh, it's not dead. Rather, this forum has always been rather low on my list of priorities.

How so?

Of course people rejecting the idea that the causes of gender inequality are societal and discrimination in favor of citing evolution doesn't make you think of people citing evolution to excuse racism. Of fucking course.

He wasn't rejecting them, he was just saying that they weren't the only causes.

Differences in distributions of traits between men and women may in part explain why we don’t have 50% representation of women in tech and leadership.

Emphasis mine. He further clarifies:

I value diversity and inclusion, am not denying that sexism exists, and don’t endorse using stereotypes.

He even suggests other means of helping women to succeed in Google. Does that sound like he thinks we're inherently inferior? Besides, I always thought the idea behind diversity was the celebration of differences, not the rejection of them.

Boiling down inequality to the notion that "some people are just naturally superior" is unreasonable, no doubt. But there's a similar, more insidious lack of reason in the opposite notion: that bias and discrimination are the only reasons for societal inequality, and that even entertaining the idea that there might be other factors involved is a sign of a right-wing extremist. That kind of thinking is reductionist and downright unscientific. There's a word for believing that an idea is unassailable and that anybody who questions it is morally and/or intellectually inferior: dogmatism.

If you believe that his memo is incorrect, then why don't you approach it from a scientific point of view? See if there are any problems in his ideas. Question the underlying theory. Look at it like a scientist would. Much like how the only substance that can cut a diamond is another diamond, it takes science to tackle science.

Also, can we please talk about this without being rude or nasty?
Beware those who hate the rich more than they love the poor.

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2017, 01:46:47 am »

Paragon, shut the fuck up or address Murdin's post and Askold's link.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2017, 01:47:42 am »

Trying to figure out where my cheque from Putin is for shilling for him on this forum.  :P :P :P :P :P
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2017, 02:16:59 am »

Oh, it's not dead. Rather, this forum has always been rather low on my list of priorities.

You say on your billionth sock puppet account.

I asked you a direct question, rules say you have to answer it.

Probably going to see Dunkirk.  I've wanted to for a while and I've finally got some disposable income.

I reiterate, 8 year olds dude.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 02:59:57 am by Skybison »

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2017, 10:03:15 am »
My plans?  Top up my phone, get more Kraken, and play some fucking Guild Wars 2.  I'm maxing out my alts really damned fast, thanks to birthday boosters and dailies.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2017, 11:44:12 am »
My plans?  Top up my phone, get more Kraken, and play some fucking Guild Wars 2.  I'm maxing out my alts really damned fast, thanks to birthday boosters and dailies.

My plan is to have my typical Saturday morning (nice, cooked breakfast, french-pressed coffee, Wait Wait). Then, I plan to hit the gym, and later join a few friends for some Pokemon Go-ing. Gonna catch me a Zapdos

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2017, 12:50:54 pm »
Worldcon. Did a show on weapons and injuries, drove a friend home, slept for 3 hours and went back to the con with  my wife and youngest kid, saw GRR Martin and few other celebrities and watched a few panels.

Now sleep. ...Then to work at morning.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2017, 01:05:41 pm »
Worldcon. Did a show on weapons and injuries, drove a friend home, slept for 3 hours and went back to the con with  my wife and youngest kid, saw GRR Martin and few other celebrities and watched a few panels.

Now sleep. ...Then to work at morning.

Speaking of, please punch GRRM in the throat for killing off Oberyn. Thank you.

Sincerely,
The planet

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2017, 03:29:53 pm »

You say on your billionth sock puppet account.

I asked you a direct question, rules say you have to answer it.

The rules also say "don't be a dick" (the admin's words, not mine). And I'd say unfounded accusations of ban-dodging are a pretty clear violation.

But to answer your question, Murdin hasn't proven me wrong. Credit where it's due, (s)he made a pretty good showing, but I haven't been disproven.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 03:32:26 pm by Lana Reverse »
Beware those who hate the rich more than they love the poor.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2017, 02:14:26 am »
a) I did not and am not going to punch GRRM. Writers have the right to kill well liked characters and I respect them for doing so because it adds a sense of risk that heroes rarely have in media.

b) Lana, that's not really an answer. You continue to ignore evidence that does not support your views.

c) If anyone wants to talk about real controversies and ethical dilemmas then I've got one conserning Worldcon: There was supposed to be a LARP about people with Alzheimer but it was canceled after (non-Nordic) congoers found out about it and were enraged that someone had even allowed it to pass the preliminary checks. The issue here is that the US-enragement culture meets Nordic LARP where even painful subjects may be discussed. Basically, people assumed that the LARP would about making fun of Alzheimer patients when no such intent had been meant. https://fransmayra.fi/2017/08/12/larp-art-not-worthy/

What do you think? Should LARP (and other forms of art) be allowed to involve serious matters?

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2017, 02:19:09 am »
I am getting increasingly convinced that Lana is just Paragon on a new account. Her tactics, writing style, tenacity and sheer incompetence are identical.
Who needs a signature?