Author Topic: Pope Quits: Following God too much hard work...  (Read 27587 times)

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
Re: Pope Quits: Following God too much hard work...
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2013, 09:01:30 am »
FYI I'm tacking this one onto the similar thread in R&P. Just a sec...
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Scotsgit

• Is Reenacting Reality or Reality Reenacting?
  • The Beast
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2013, 09:05:54 am »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21412609

His resignation speech:

Dear Brothers,

I have convoked you to this Consistory, not only for the three canonisations, but also to communicate to you a decision of great importance for the life of the Church.

After having repeatedly examined my conscience before God, I have come to the certainty that my strengths, due to an advanced age, are no longer suited to an adequate exercise of the Petrine ministry.

I am well aware that this ministry, due to its essential spiritual nature, must be carried out not only with words and deeds, but no less with prayer and suffering.

However, in today's world, subject to so many rapid changes and shaken by questions of deep relevance for the life of faith, in order to steer the boat of Saint Peter and proclaim the Gospel, both strength of mind and body are necessary, strength which in the last few months, has deteriorated in me to the extent that I have had to recognise my incapacity to adequately fulfil the ministry entrusted to me.

For this reason, and well aware of the seriousness of this act, with full freedom I declare that I renounce the ministry of Bishop of Rome, Successor of Saint Peter, entrusted to me by the Cardinals on 19 April 2005, in such a way, that as from 28 February 2013, at 20:00 hours, the See of Rome, the See of Saint Peter, will be vacant and a Conclave to elect the new Supreme Pontiff will have to be convoked by those whose competence it is.

Dear Brothers, I thank you most sincerely for all the love and work with which you have supported me in my ministry and I ask pardon for all my defects.

And now, let us entrust the Holy Church to the care of Our Supreme Pastor, Our Lord Jesus Christ, and implore his holy Mother Mary, so that she may assist the Cardinal Fathers with her maternal solicitude, in electing a new Supreme Pontiff.

With regard to myself, I wish to also devotedly serve the Holy Church of God in the future through a life dedicated to prayer.

There is of course the chance that he might have Parkinson's or Alzheimer's and wants to get out before it gets to him, which is what the bit about the strength failing in him refers to.

Be interesting to see who gets the job:  When Benedict was elected, the editor of The Catholic Times did a long rant on the BBC about how the new Pope would soon rid the Church of all these wishy-washy liberal types, if some liberal gets the job then I'll sit back and watch with the ructions.  Popcorn anyone?
I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley!

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2013, 09:06:19 am »
thanks - I searched first using Pope Benedict....didn't result the older thread
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Material Defender

• Food Scientist in Space
  • The Beast
  • Pilot of the Pyro-GX
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2013, 09:17:39 am »
I'm hoping a strong handed Liberal gets elected to push through some reforms as well take a harder stance against the pedophile priests. It's just the conservative leadership is so bonkers that it feels entirely contradictory to its own theology.
The material needs a defender more than the spiritual. If there is a higher power, it can defend itself from the material. Thus denotes 'higher power'.

"Not to know is bad. Not to want to know is worse. Not to hope is unthinkable. Not to care is unforgivable." -Nigerian Saying

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2013, 09:19:47 am »
I'm curious about whether he gets to remain a cardinal and have a say in choosing his successor at the Conclave.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Julian

• Pope
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2013, 09:22:59 am »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21412609Be interesting to see who gets the job:  When Benedict was elected, the editor of The Catholic Times did a long rant on the BBC about how the new Pope would soon rid the Church of all these wishy-washy liberal types, if some liberal gets the job then I'll sit back and watch with the ructions.  Popcorn anyone?
Kind of tough because he brought the next wave of prominent cardinals through, so most of the power mongers / front runners / prime candidates are even more conservative than he is... I think the way the voting works means that once a few of the conservative candidates have been knocked out of the running, they'll all get in behind the biggest bastard left.

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2013, 09:24:18 am »
It's about time. Should be interesting the hear what my more conservative family members and relatives have to say about this.
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline Jack Mann

• Gold Bugger Jihad Pony
  • God
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2013, 09:38:02 am »
To be fair, if he were doing any other job, no one would bat an eye at his retiring.  Guy's 85, after all.

Gonna agree with Julian, though.  It's hard to hold out much hope for his replacement.  We'll just have to see what sort of bastard we end up with this time.
اللغة العربية صعبة ، ولكنها جميلة جدا

Offline Scotsgit

• The Beast
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2013, 09:47:01 am »
The thing is, they do actually need a more liberal Pope if they want to bring back the faithful that they've lost under Benedict and John Paul II.  Another Conservative will mean more leaving and while that might keep the pompous morons at The Catholic Times happy, when are they going to realise that they need someone in charge who's going to do something about the pederast priests, the endless tirades against Gays, etc, rather than another Conservative who'll be a clone of his two predecessors.

Offline Jack Mann

• Gold Bugger Jihad Pony
  • God
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2013, 10:06:46 am »
Of course.  They need a pope who will deal with the controversies and help the Catholic Church become a more modern organization.  I just don't think they're smart enough to actually do so.  It would require them to admit that it's not the entire rest of the world that needs to change.
اللغة العربية صعبة ، ولكنها جميلة جدا

Offline Julian

• Pope
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2013, 10:08:18 am »
The thing is, they do actually need a more liberal Pope if they want to bring back the faithful that they've lost under Benedict and John Paul II.  Another Conservative will mean more leaving and while that might keep the pompous morons at The Catholic Times happy, when are they going to realise that they need someone in charge who's going to do something about the pederast priests, the endless tirades against Gays, etc, rather than another Conservative who'll be a clone of his two predecessors.
Not to mention they're literally killing their African congregation.

Not sure why they're trying to outcrazy the Evangelicals, it's not a race...

Offline Shano

• Bishop
  • Trust me, I am a doctor.
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2013, 10:25:55 am »
To those who wonder. Benedict 16 is over the age of 80 and cannot participate in the election of a new pope.
The unbreakable wall

Offline Julian

• Pope
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2013, 10:26:26 am »
Dawkins on twitter:
I feel sorry for the Pope and all old Catholic priests. Imagine having a wasted life to look back on and no sex.
Well, he's probably half right....

Distind

« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2013, 10:41:36 am »
A black pope. That would be quite a thing.
Well, it would make RSTDT busy for sure.
Yeah, calling it right now. If they elect a pope darker than khaki I'm axing RSTDT immediately. I can't deal with that shit anymore.

Offline Scotsgit

• The Beast
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2013, 10:45:21 am »
Dawkins on twitter:
I feel sorry for the Pope and all old Catholic priests. Imagine having a wasted life to look back on and no sex.
Well, he's probably half right....

Bit unfair, lots of priests do good work and it's not always religious.  Look at the ones in Northern Ireland who've done their best to get the two communities to come together, or the ones who've ended up being killed by totalitarian regimes for standing up against them.  I wouldn't call that a wasted life.