Author Topic: 10 Things Americas don't know about America  (Read 13457 times)

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
Re: 10 Things Americas don't know about America
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2013, 02:16:34 pm »
I have to say, this one strikes me as a little bit bullshit.
1. FEW PEOPLE ARE IMPRESSED BY US

Unless you’re speaking with a real estate agent or a prostitute, chances are they’re not going to be excited that you’re American. It’s not some badge of honor we get to parade around. Yes, we had Steve Jobs and Thomas Edison, but unless you actually are Steve Jobs or Thomas Edison (which is unlikely) then most people around the world are simply not going to care. There are exceptions of course. And those exceptions are called English and Australian people. Whoopdie-fucking-doo.

As Americans, we’re brought up our entire lives being taught that we’re the best, we did everything first and that the rest of the world follows our lead. Not only is this not true, but people get irritated when you bring it to their country with you. So don’t.
I have no idea where this guy's getting his information from, and I can't speak for the Brits, but I can safely say that most Australians look down their noses at Americans. Not to any American tourist's face, naturally, but the attitude is very much there. The more recent reputation they've picked up as the land of the disturbingly frequent school shootings hasn't exactly helped matters.
Let's be fair. Most Americans look down at America.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2013, 03:14:34 pm »
True dat.

I'm a "pureblooded American" (read: Bloody colonial descent with some amounts of Native American mixed in) and I hate this country.

I haven't even said the pledge of allegience or sang the Star Spangled Banner in years.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Art Vandelay

« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2013, 05:04:44 pm »
I should probably clarify that I wasn't saying that Americans are in fact inherently inferiour. Just that a lot of fellow foreigners seem to have a rather snooty attitude towards them.

I pretty sure no one's saying that I did, but I figure at this rate, it's only a matter of time before someone misinterprets.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2013, 05:40:58 pm »
True dat.

I'm a "pureblooded American" (read: Bloody colonial descent with some amounts of Native American mixed in) and I hate this country.

I haven't even said the pledge of allegience or sang the Star Spangled Banner in years.
Me neither. In school, I tend to sit and listen to music during the Pledge (occasionally, if irony is desired, I'll put on We're From America or Amerika (Marilyn Manson and Rammstein, respectively).
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2013, 07:00:30 pm »
The idea of having kids take a nationalist pledge every morning in school is always extremely jarring to me.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Flying Mint Bunny!

• Zoot be praised and to His Chosen victory
  • The Beast
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2013, 07:17:45 pm »
The idea of having kids take a nationalist pledge every morning in school is always extremely jarring to me.

I've always thought that it was weird thing for America to have because it seems like the sort of thing you would do in a communist country.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2013, 07:30:18 pm »
I should probably clarify that I wasn't saying that Americans are in fact inherently inferiour. Just that a lot of fellow foreigners seem to have a rather snooty attitude towards them.

I pretty sure no one's saying that I did, but I figure at this rate, it's only a matter of time before someone misinterprets.

It's not like we Americans haven't earned our scorn.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2013, 09:23:04 pm »

Same. And even disregarding the creepy vibes, what's the point of pledging allegiance every day? Surely anyone who gives a shit about pledging will stand by it if they only say it once, and anyone who doesn't won't suddenly become more patriotic for the repetition.

We make our kids pledge allegiance to the flag once, in fourth grade. I have my own issues with that, mainly that what the hell is the point of making a solemn promise when you are nine and have no real understanding of what you're doing. But at least it's better than daily repetition.
Σא

Offline Igor

• The Beast
  • Welcome to the velvet room...
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2013, 09:25:22 pm »

I've always thought that it was weird thing for America to have because it seems like the sort of thing you would do in a communist country.
Funny thing about that, I remember reading somewhere that the USSR also had a pledge... that it made you say once. When you make people say it every day, especially when said people are often too young to understand what they're saying, it kinda loses all meaning. The book Catch-22 had a great bit about this with Captain Black's Glorious Loyalty Oath Crusade.

Quote from: Quasirodent
The logical response to getting that tingle in his dingle is turning into an asshat, of course.

Les ananas ne parlent pas!

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2013, 09:59:55 pm »
Which is why in the meantime I make sure I leave everyone with a small piece of my DNA whenever I can.

...Ewww.

Don't pretend you don't want it.

7+ billion people?  Your poor body...

Whenever I can, and I eat a lot of zinc

wrightway

« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2013, 10:48:08 pm »
In fourth grade my teacher was a former army brat. Not only could you not sit during the pledge, you got got in trouble if she caught you refusing to say it. She also tried to enforce the military pledge stance.

Make of that creepy stuff what you will, but it's probably why they caught me flipping the bird during pledge in sophomore year.

Offline Radiation

• ILLUMINATI...ASSEMBLE!
  • The Beast
  • Just Radiation, I am so uncreative
« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2013, 10:56:02 pm »
I never understood why we had to do the pledge of allegiance every morning and the meaning behind it, not to mention that it was boring as fuck and I'd rather sit and read something. It was never really explained to us other than "this is America! We're da best!"
"Radiation, were beauty measured by the soul instead of the body, you would be legendary on the status of Helen of Troy. Be strong." -The Sandman

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2013, 11:09:06 pm »
In fourth grade my teacher was a former army brat. Not only could you not sit during the pledge, you got got in trouble if she caught you refusing to say it. She also tried to enforce the military pledge stance.

Make of that creepy stuff what you will, but it's probably why they caught me flipping the bird during pledge in sophomore year.

When I was in grade school, not only did we have to do the pledge every day, we had to sing the national anthem every day before we did the pledge. 

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2013, 11:11:28 pm »

Funny thing about that, I remember reading somewhere that the USSR also had a pledge... that it made you say once. When you make people say it every day, especially when said people are often too young to understand what they're saying, it kinda loses all meaning. The book Catch-22 had a great bit about this with Captain Black's Glorious Loyalty Oath Crusade.

And he wouldn't let the Doctor sign it, ever.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Igor

• The Beast
  • Welcome to the velvet room...
« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2013, 11:13:01 pm »
No, it as Major Major he wouldn't let sign it. The whole thing was an effort to discredit Major Major and get his job.

...Why yes, I have read that book about a million times now, why do you ask?

Quote from: Quasirodent
The logical response to getting that tingle in his dingle is turning into an asshat, of course.

Les ananas ne parlent pas!