Author Topic: Malaysian Atheists and Young Apologists held a debate on God. This is the result  (Read 2303 times)

Offline armandtanzarian

• God
  • Sad tropical monkey
    • My band's music
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0mivs9Lut0&feature=share&list=PLF98E166CC43F4AC7

Frankly we're quite proud we're able to hold something like this in a country where the idea of nontheism is still a foreign and horrific idea. Is the actual content anything revelatory? Well just prepare not to headdesk too much.

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
>Christian says he won't present typical arguments because you've probably heard them all before
>Argument from Biblical prophecy
>Argument from "Science can't know everything"
>Argument from personal experience
>Argument from salesmanship
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline MaybeNever

• Got His Red Wings
  • Pope
  • Possessed of a proclivity for prolixity
To be honest, I pretty much expected this to be a link about, like, police breaking up the meeting, or somebody getting killed over the debate.
"Great Britain's two most senior military officers added to the uneasiness. [...] Lord Wolseley, Adjutant General, thought that it might be possible for an enemy to invade without waiters and pastrycooks."
-Robert K. Massie, Dreadnought

Offline czechmate

• Apprentice
Back in the 1980's, Malaysia held a general election. The result of this was that the island of Sabah elected a Christian governor (Sabah is 97% Christian).
The response was the army was sent in "to quell an insurrection", the new govenor imprisoned and to old governor reinstated.
A law was then passed that all high officials must be Muslims, though Malaysia always boasts that it a multi-cultural and secular nation.
Hopefully this law has been scrapped.

Offline armandtanzarian

• God
  • Sad tropical monkey
    • My band's music
I highly doubt that. But what it has done, coupled with a lot of factors, is created an undercurrent of seperatist resentment in East Malaysia (Sabah is not an island, it is a state in Borneo). In the early 90s a wave of politicians from West Malaysian parties won the elections in East Malaysia and have held firm since then, despite said dissent. They use tactics such as exploiting the strong tribalism in the island (think of Sabah and Sarawak as if the US put most of the Native American tribes in 2 big states, and isolated them so access to outside information is limited), bribing the community leaders so everyone in the tribe voted together, etc.

Offline czechmate

• Apprentice
I highly doubt that. But what it has done, coupled with a lot of factors, is created an undercurrent of seperatist resentment in East Malaysia (Sabah is not an island, it is a state in Borneo). In the early 90s a wave of politicians from West Malaysian parties won the elections in East Malaysia and have held firm since then, despite said dissent. They use tactics such as exploiting the strong tribalism in the island (think of Sabah and Sarawak as if the US put most of the Native American tribes in 2 big states, and isolated them so access to outside information is limited), bribing the community leaders so everyone in the tribe voted together, etc.
I stand corrected on the geography. Many thanks.
At the time this happened, I was living and working in Singapore, which only deepens my embarrassment.