Author Topic: Idiocy At Hearing Re: Contraception Insurance Coverage  (Read 6268 times)

Offline booley

• Pope
  • Grand High Viceroy of the Eastern Expanses
Re: Idiocy At Hearing Re: Contraception Insurance Coverage
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2012, 01:58:14 pm »
"Religious freedom" in this instance means institutions can force their beliefs on employees.  If Catholic institutions can block birth control coverage, does that mean Jehovah's Witnesses can block blood transfusions, or that christian scientists can avoid having to provide any health coverage at all?

Interestingly this was covered in the SCOTUS when an amish employer didn't want to do Social Security with holdings for his employees.

The SCOTUS put the kibosh on that, including  SCALIA no less.

“We have never held that an individual’s religious beliefs excuse him from compliance with an otherwise valid law prohibiting conduct that the State is free to regulate. On the contrary, the record of more than a century of our free exercise jurisprudence contradicts that proposition."

Employers can't use their religion to deny coverage for their employees.  That would be an imposition of religion.  Religious conviction only covers the person holding it.

Not to mention that 27 states already have similar laws and have survived challenges just fine.
“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”
The Doctor

Offline Ranger_Joe

• Pope
  • The Stranger With Candy
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2012, 02:05:11 pm »
This entire debacle is just ridiculous. If women didn't already have a reason to not vote for the GOP, this just further cements those reasons.

These people HAVE to know that what they are doing alienates the majority of the voters. When you appeal only to the rabid, self righteous religious crowd, all the moderates and swing voters will flee to the other side to prevent lunacy from gaining access to the White House.

Take John McCain for example. Prior to him selecting his VP, I was really considering voting for him. However, when he introduced an idiotic Rapturite as a VP I couldn't risk voting for him in the event he died and that crazy bitch was in charge of our nuclear ordinance. Never trust anyone who believes the end of the world is coming in their lifetime with the ability to launch our nukes or send our armies places.
Rangers Lead The Way..All The Way!

I would give a fuck, but I gave my last one to your mother last night.

Offline Qlockworkcanary

• Bishop
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2012, 02:43:50 pm »
The whole damned thing made me so mad when I first heard about it that my beard instantly grew two inches!
"Out of the ash I rise with my red hair and eat men like air." - Sylvia Plath

Offline tempus

• Bishop
Conservative Experts on Women's Reproductive Health
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2012, 05:59:08 pm »
BEHOLD!  I give you the nation's foremost experts on women's issues!

Notice something odd about the panel above?

Here's a hint:  Sandra Fluke, a Georgetown student who has a friend who lost an ovary because her Catholic university doesn't cover birth control, was asked by the Democrats to speak.  She was refused access, because she wasn't "appropriate or qualified" to be there.

Difficulty:  one of the old, old men on this panel has apparently vowed never to have sex, ever. 

We're living in some interesting times.  Not long ago--at all--anyone who suggested, seriously, that we needed to start discussing women's unfettered access to contraception in this country would have been laughed off the stage.  And yet, we're actually having this conversation.  And it wasn't that long ago that anyone who seriously suggested that we needed to restrict the vote to property owners, or that there was a good side to slavery and we needed to carefully consider it, or that we needed to discuss the very concept of civil rights, period, would have been treated like the dunces they are.  They'd have become global laughingstocks, like David Duke or Pat Buchanan, like your Dittohead uncle who can't get through even one Thanksgiving dinner without breaking into a snarling, hate-filled rant about the uppity nBONG in the White House, or the nasty feminazis like your aunt, who left him for someone who wasn't a mouthbreathing troglodyte.   

And yet, here we are.  It's fucking hysterical, I tell you. 
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 12:02:21 am by tempus »
Congratulations.  You found Ronald Reagan. He’s living in each and every one of you.  Just waiting to gnaw his way out of your chest and skitter off into the ventilation ducts.

--Neckfucker

That shape...that figure...those curves...god damn the weighted companion cube has never looked so good!

--Anonymous

Los Angeles is a city of brick, steel, concrete, and asphalt. There's no room for cows.

--CommanderCoffee

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2012, 08:38:01 pm »
They seem to be anathema to paying for other people's anything. That's how civilization works really, and there's no opt out.

And yet, they expect everyone else to pay for their crap.

Never trust anyone who believes the end of the world is coming in their lifetime with the ability to launch our nukes or send our armies places.

Indeed!
-A Pen Name