Author Topic: Worst Political Cartoons  (Read 1628685 times)

Offline VirtualStranger

• Blinded with Science
  • The Beast
Re: Worst Political Cartoons
« Reply #75 on: January 09, 2012, 10:33:53 pm »

In my almost 4 years in a U.S. public high school, I have never once seen any student stand at attention like that and actually recite the pledge. Sure, most of them will stand up, but that's about it. No hand-over-chest, no facing the flag, and definitely no verbal recitation.

Kids don't give as much of a shit about their loyalty pledge as these people seem to think.

Offline Vene

• AKA Vene-Eye the Science Guy
  • Pope
  • Patronizing Know-It-All Snotnose
« Reply #76 on: January 09, 2012, 10:54:16 pm »
Having served in the US Military I can say the pledge definitely has it's place, and I encourage its use for military personnel and other government workers (such as politicians) as upholding it is a part of their specific duty. I do not, however, think it really belongs in our schools. Children are not able to really understand it when it's first done (I remember it being recited as early as Kindergarten, though I can't remember if it was in pre-school or not), and putting it in such a place makes them feel it's a necessity instead of a choice. Some people desire to move to another country when they grow up (for whatever reason), and there's also the issue of exchange students and students who are a citizen of multiple countries. I also do not appreciate it made into something that people will mindlessly recite, as that is one of the best ways to degrade it into complete meaninglessness.
[anecdote]When I was really young I didn't understand why the nation was invisible.[/anecdote]

Offline DiscoBerry

• The Beast
    • Has the Hadron Collider Destroyed the Earth Yet?
« Reply #77 on: January 09, 2012, 10:59:09 pm »

In my almost 4 years in a U.S. public high school, I have never once seen any student stand at attention like that and actually recite the pledge. Sure, most of them will stand up, but that's about it. No hand-over-chest, no facing the flag, and definitely no verbal recitation.

Kids don't give as much of a shit about their loyalty pledge as these people seem to think.

Shit, in my school district they only do it in the elementary schools. 

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #78 on: January 09, 2012, 11:00:03 pm »
Not wanting to say the Pledge doesn't mean not having respect for the troops, but I have a feeling this guy thinks pulling our troops out of bs wars/ or not wanting to go to war, means you don't have respect for the troops also..

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #79 on: January 10, 2012, 12:10:45 am »

Offline Lithp

• Official FSTDT Spokesman
  • The Beast
« Reply #80 on: January 10, 2012, 01:08:54 am »
1. Roll clay up. Have a worm.
2. Poke eyes in it. Got a snake.
3. Pull legs out of it. Lizard.
4. Roll tail up into body.

FUCKING PONY. WHAT NOW CREATIONIST?!

In my almost 4 years in a U.S. public high school

Every grade we move up, we get a little less enthusiastic. Of course, when I was in kindergarten, we were really all but FORCED to say it. I don't know if you could get in trouble for not standing & reciting it, but it was implied.

I totally see the logic there. This man got injured fighting so you could exercise freedom of expression. Therefore, you should not exercise freedom of expression.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #81 on: January 10, 2012, 02:50:46 am »
I would actually prefer a pledge to the constitution than the flag, as I feel it makes far more sense. I would say pledging it to the country as a whole and its ideals would be better, but I think the constitution holds the ideals in as concrete a manner as possible.

As Captain America put it, "I'm loyal to nothing, General... except the Dream."
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #82 on: January 10, 2012, 02:58:59 am »
I can imagine that boy intelligently saying...

"Thank you, sir.  Thank you for fighting for my rights.  Both the right to stand up to pledge allegiance and the right to not stand up.  In many of the countries you fought, they would force such things on their children.  Stand up and pledge allegiance, or die.  You fought so that I have the choice to sit down.  The right to disagree with my country.  Thank you, sir."

And then the kid salutes him.

And the man salutes back, tears in his eyes.  And the teacher just feels guilty for trying to guilt-trip her students into such a thing.

...Ah, but we know that last part would never happen.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #83 on: January 10, 2012, 05:42:24 am »
[anecdote]When I was really young I didn't understand why the nation was invisible.[/anecdote]

When I was a child, I misinterpreted the "Stand on guard for thee" lines in O Canada as "Stand on God for thee".
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #84 on: January 10, 2012, 07:33:45 am »

"Thank you, sir.  Thank you for fighting for my rights.  Both the right to stand up to pledge allegiance and the right to not stand up.  In many of the countries you fought, they would force such things on their children.  Stand up and pledge allegiance, or die.  You fought so that I have the choice to sit down.  The right to disagree with my country.  Thank you, sir."

And the man salutes back, tears in his eyes.  And the teacher just feels guilty for trying to guilt-trip her students into such a thing.

Depends which country. If he's a veteran of anything after 1945, he wasn't fighting for any American's freedom. In fact, in the vast majority of cases, American soldiers since '45 have been fighting against the advance of freedom.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #85 on: January 10, 2012, 01:15:40 pm »
Here’s a hint kid: That clay pony doesn’t see, hear, or think anything.
-A Pen Name

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
« Reply #86 on: January 10, 2012, 02:42:43 pm »
Here’s a hint kid: That clay pony doesn’t see, hear, or think anything.

And apparently God created humans not to be able to see or hear him, and expects us to worship It.

Also, answer the damn question, kid!
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

Offline Scotsgit

• Is Reenacting Reality or Reality Reenacting?
  • The Beast
« Reply #87 on: January 10, 2012, 02:54:48 pm »

When I was a child, I misinterpreted the "Stand on guard for thee" lines in O Canada as "Stand on God for thee".

For myself, I always wondered why we were sending the Queen someone called Victoria.
I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley!

Offline Scotsgit

• Is Reenacting Reality or Reality Reenacting?
  • The Beast
« Reply #88 on: January 10, 2012, 02:55:40 pm »

Depends which country. If he's a veteran of anything after 1945, he wasn't fighting for any American's freedom. In fact, in the vast majority of cases, American soldiers since '45 have been fighting against the advance of freedom.

The Korean War?
I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley!

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #89 on: January 10, 2012, 05:27:19 pm »

The Korean War?

My granddad was in the Korean War.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.