Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Entertainment and Television / Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Last post by ironbite on Today at 03:20:03 pm »
See I'd agree with you on that except in AC:O, you can play Kassandra as the most lesbian lesbian whoever lesbianed and it doesn't affect the game's story at all.  This?  This basically takes all that away and spits on any good will the game built up.

Ironbite-I know it's just how people precieve the character but this seems just needless.
Just going to say, Dusty's video might be a good breakdown... but posting it here technically violates forum anti-doxxing rules, as it contains a screenshot containing a phone number for the students' school.
« Last post by Askold on Today at 01:31:14 pm »
Invalidating player choice is a story choice for the developers. If the player is not supposed to be an all powerful god then it is understandable that there are things that they cannot change. Even if the game gives an illusion of choice but all alternatives lead to a similar result this is not necessarily a bad gameplay decision, it's a just a matter of execution and reason to determine whether it works.

The player automatically losing the gunfight near the end of Red Dead Redemption 1 is a famous example of such a sadistic result. Does it take away player agency? Yes. Even if you are fighting well you will still lose and this is an important part of the story and they make a point of it. Similarly there are plenty of games where the player character will be captured and doesn't matter how well you play, that part of the plot requires you to be caught.

In RPGs this is known as "railroading" and I've seen plenty of complaints about it but I still find myself accepting it on some occasions. It's all about how well it is done and in my opinion some of the "but muh agency" complaints are a bit childish. Video games in particular are always limiting the player because there are only so many things that they can handle in the game.
Hate to rain on everybody's parade, but this story seems to be bullshit.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVvpVRJ-NH4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVvpVRJ-NH4</a>

That kid does have a punchable face, though.
The mother of one of those young men tried to defend him by saying that it was the fault of Black Muslims that he said something like that...
« Last post by RavynousHunter on Today at 11:13:19 am »
Goin' through my YouTube recommendations because I'm that kind of horribly uninteresting individual, and a thought struck me.

I really hope they get around to a remaster of Final Fantasy VIII.  Or, hell, have VIII's story, but in the engine used for XV.
Politics and Government / Re: The lead-up to the 2018 midterms begins
« Last post by Id82 on Today at 11:13:17 am »
Welp, I learned a new word today.
Shit, gimmie 5 years and some change and I'll be old enough.  Hey, if you're gonna vote for a gormless honkie, you might as well vote for one with a sense of humour.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10