Author Topic: Citizens United Part II  (Read 5570 times)

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
Citizens United Part II
« on: June 25, 2012, 11:30:06 pm »
Well, if people thought we were screwed when the Supreme Court made its disastrous 2010 ruling in Citizens United v. FEC...well, they were right. But now it's even worse. The Montana Supreme Court upheld its own state law regarding limits on corporate political spending, distinguishing its law from the one at issue in Citizens United. In a result that was as horrifying as it was predictable, the Supreme Court struck down the law today, expanded upon its original Citizens United decision to now include state and local laws, and royally screwed our entire country on behalf of the ultra-wealthy.

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
Re: Citizens United Part II
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 11:31:58 pm »
Remind me why nobody's burned down Wall St. yet.
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 11:34:08 pm »
Remind me why nobody's burned down Wall St. yet.
Because gasoline is frickin expensive?

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 11:50:24 pm »
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Fpqxz

• The Beast
  • Generic forum poster #666
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 12:01:27 am »
So...does this mean we have to continue this charade of "democracy"?

Or can we finally admit, to ourselves and everyone else, that we are basically a plutocracy now?
Read some real news:  Allgov.com, JURIST

Step down Mr. and Mrs. Politically Correct.
It's so easy to be "punk" and "aware" living at home.
You can't change shit, you're too self-righteous;
you're the bigots you flaunt to loathe.
--Thought Industry, Boil

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 01:48:02 am »
So it's, "let the people vote on human rights and keep our noses out of it," but " let's step in the moment corporate interests are jeopardized"?

Edit: The commenters that support this are defending it by claiming "free speech" over and over (especially one poster in particular, who made many single sentence posts parroting this claim repeatedly), then defending why corporations should be counted as people because they're simply a group of people that deserve a voice, and can't possibly see how this can turn out bad or corrupt.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 03:29:02 am by Iosa the Invincible »

Offline tempus

• Bishop
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 04:41:21 am »

Or can we finally admit, to ourselves and everyone else, that we are basically a plutocracy now?

They'll keep up the charade for a while longer.  I don't think they'll dispense with the illusion of representative democracy altogether--at least not for a generation or two.  It's too useful for keeping the population under control, letting them pretend that they still have a say.  But this effectively ends the United States as we know it. 

Is it still regulatory capture when the captured agency is the entire United States government itself?
Congratulations.  You found Ronald Reagan. He’s living in each and every one of you.  Just waiting to gnaw his way out of your chest and skitter off into the ventilation ducts.

--Neckfucker

That shape...that figure...those curves...god damn the weighted companion cube has never looked so good!

--Anonymous

Los Angeles is a city of brick, steel, concrete, and asphalt. There's no room for cows.

--CommanderCoffee

Offline tempus

• Bishop
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 04:49:16 am »
So it's, "let the people vote on human rights and keep our noses out of it," but " let's step in the moment corporate interests are jeopardized"?

Edit: The commenters that support this are defending it by claiming "free speech" over and over (especially one poster in particular, who made many single sentence posts parroting this claim repeatedly), then defending why corporations should be counted as people because they're simply a group of people that deserve a voice, and can't possibly see how this can turn out bad or corrupt.

Much like the clownshoes who post the names, home addresses and phone numbers of doctors who perform abortions, they can't fail to understand exactly what they're doing.  Their denial is only an attempt to muddy the waters enough to diffuse protest. 

Bottom line is, they fully support corporations throwing money at politicians until they cave as protected free speech as long as it's their side, their pet politicians and their favorite corporations who benefit from it.  They'd protest it if it were "liberals" doing it, but since that probably isn't going to be happening, they're perfectly fine with it.  Welcome to Guilded Age II:  Electric Boogaloo. 
Congratulations.  You found Ronald Reagan. He’s living in each and every one of you.  Just waiting to gnaw his way out of your chest and skitter off into the ventilation ducts.

--Neckfucker

That shape...that figure...those curves...god damn the weighted companion cube has never looked so good!

--Anonymous

Los Angeles is a city of brick, steel, concrete, and asphalt. There's no room for cows.

--CommanderCoffee

Offline Fpqxz

• The Beast
  • Generic forum poster #666
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 04:56:23 am »

They'll keep up the charade for a while longer.  I don't think they'll dispense with the illusion of representative democracy altogether--at least not for a generation or two.  It's too useful for keeping the population under control, letting them pretend that they still have a say.  But this effectively ends the United States as we know it.

Wow...that's an eerily accurate summary of the situation.  The rich may as well cut out the middleman and rule us directly.

Is it still regulatory capture when the captured agency is the entire United States government itself?

I would say probably yes, but not in the way we have come to think of it.

One apocryphal quote from former President Bill Clinton:  "There’s a government inside the government, and I don’t control it."  Compare this with the Turkish phenomenon of the "deep state".  It's not so much different from what the USA faces.
Read some real news:  Allgov.com, JURIST

Step down Mr. and Mrs. Politically Correct.
It's so easy to be "punk" and "aware" living at home.
You can't change shit, you're too self-righteous;
you're the bigots you flaunt to loathe.
--Thought Industry, Boil

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2012, 11:14:23 am »
Thanks Justices Kennedy, Scalia, Thomas, Alito, and Roberts, for reminding me why I have little faith left in this country, and humanity as a whole.

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2012, 12:40:26 pm »
We're still a democracy. All this is about is persuading people to vote one way or the other, not making them do so.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline booley

• Pope
  • Grand High Viceroy of the Eastern Expanses
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2012, 01:08:15 pm »
We're still a democracy. All this is about is persuading people to vote one way or the other, not making them do so.

yeppers.

Using unlimited and untracable amounts o f money to drown out anybody else so only your message gets through.

People are then free to choose between your message and the other one they know nothing about.
“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”
The Doctor

Offline m52nickerson

• Polish Viking
  • The Beast
  • Winning by flying omoplata!
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2012, 04:10:03 pm »
yeppers.

Using unlimited and untracable amounts o f money to drown out anybody else so only your message gets through.

People are then free to choose between your message and the other one they know nothing about.

...and they know nothing about it because people have gotten lazy and expect information to just be fed to them.  Democracy is not a spectator sport.  For one to be done right, people have to take an active role.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. ~Macbeth

Offline erictheblue

• The Beast
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2012, 05:14:57 pm »
...and they know nothing about it because people have gotten lazy and expect information to just be fed to them.  Democracy is not a spectator sport.  For one to be done right, people have to take an active role.

Why would people go looking for information when they are being fed all of it without effort? How are people supposed to know they are being lied to? Why would anyone assume they are being lied to and go look up the truth?
[Anonymous is] like... an internet Cthulu... you don't want to rouse them, but at the same time... woah think of the beautiful chaos! - SpaceProg

Offline m52nickerson

• Polish Viking
  • The Beast
  • Winning by flying omoplata!
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2012, 06:28:02 pm »
Why would people go looking for information when they are being fed all of it without effort? How are people supposed to know they are being lied to? Why would anyone assume they are being lied to and go look up the truth?

Why?  Simply because people should be smart enough not to trust everything they are fed.  Unfortunately we know that is not true, a bunch of Nigerian princes can attest to that.  Again in the end who's ultimate fault is that?  You know the saying, fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. ~Macbeth