Author Topic: Adopted Girl Forced to Dig Her Own Grave  (Read 4609 times)

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
Adopted Girl Forced to Dig Her Own Grave
« on: September 11, 2013, 04:37:24 pm »
Link!

While many American parents adopt kids from overseas, sometimes they are not prepared for dealing with the cultural or emotional adjustment that these children go through, and end up sending them to new caretakers in a process called "re-homing." Many times the new caretaker involved is simply someone met over the internet. Many of them are downright abusive:

A Tennessee woman says that when her adoptive parents gave her away to new parents at age 14, she and 17 other adoptive kids in her “nightmarish” new home were sometimes forced to dig their own “graves” in the backyard and scrub the floor with toothbrushes.

“’Get out and go dig your own grave,” Nora Gateley, now 26, says her new mother told her. “’I don’t care if you die. Nobody will find you. You were not even here in the first place.”

She says she soon found she had to take care of the younger kids, many with special needs, and that Debra had harsh methods of discipline. She claims there was beating in the house, and she was sometimes forced to stay up all night or scrub floors with a toothbrush.

Nora had to wear a brace on her leg for her polio, and says that Debra would sometimes take it away. “She took my brace numerous times … as punishment. So I [couldn’t] walk.”

“She said, ‘You can run away for all I care and I’ll let the coyotes out there eat you,’ ” recalled Nora. “’Nobody knows you were here anyway.’”

Fortunately, the "mother" was later caught and convicted:

As soon as the girls were in her car they began crying and telling her everything.

Dvorak gave Nora and her adoptive sister a tape recorder, and in secret, away from the cameras, they recorded their version of events. When Dvorak heard the tape, she says she “just about physically got sick.” She gave the tape to the police, who went to the Schmitz home with a search warrant.

The Tennessee Department of Children’s Services determined that seven of the 18 children they took from the home did not legally belong to the Schmitzes. Eleven did, including a biological child of the Schmitzes, and Nora, who by then had been legally adopted.

In 2006, Debra pleaded no contest to 14 counts of child abuse and one count of trafficking. She was sentenced to six months in jail and put on probation. The case against Tom Schmitz, now her ex-husband, was expunged. He couldn’t be reached for comment.

Oh, and this is just the first of a series on the issues of "re-homing." Prepare for all your faith in humanity to be destroyed.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

wrightway

Re: Adopted Girl Forced to Dig Her Own Grave
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 04:42:32 pm »
I think I'm going to be sick. This has been a bad week bad universe for children.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 04:52:19 pm by Brain Fritz »

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 04:51:09 pm »
I think I'm going to be sick. This has been a bad week for children.

This has been a bad universe for children.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

wrightway

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 04:52:48 pm »
Correction made. We're not the best species in this world when it comes to caring for offspring.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 04:54:06 pm »
I'm just going to go to my happy place, which right now is a reenactment of "A Death In The Family" starring her as Jason Todd and me as The Joker.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 06:57:58 pm »
I've been playing too much Skyrim, because I'm suddenly reminded of Grelod the Kind.

And those of you who have played Skyrim know what happens to Grelod the Kind.

Normally I don't call for blood, but my mind refuses to think of a reason why this would be a bad idea.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 07:02:34 pm »
I've been playing too much Skyrim, because I'm suddenly reminded of Grelod the Kind.

Normally I don't call for blood, but my mind refuses to think of a reason why this would be a bad idea.
Because if we started killing child abusers/molesters/sellers we'd turn into a police state. Somehow.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013, 07:12:09 pm »
Fuck these parents. Tons of people have negative views of fostering and adoption because of people like this. And it's hard to imagine how shit like this can happen, because in my sister's case, she had to check in with social services frequently and go to hell and back to prove she was taking proper care of her children. The parents in this story should have never been able to get to this point.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2013, 07:15:35 pm »
Fuck these parents. Tons of people have negative views of fostering and adoption because of people like this. And it's hard to imagine how shit like this can happen, because in my sister's case, she had to check in with social services frequently and go to hell and back to prove she was taking proper care of her children. The parents in this story should have never been able to get to this point.

Probably a case of different jurisdictions, different standards (or the same standards, but not the money to enforce them).
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2013, 07:18:20 pm »
This piece of shit only got six months in jail + probation? She traumatized dozens of kids for life, for fuck's sake. Bitch deserves at least a decade, plus an order not to be allowed alone with any children once she gets out.

Because if we started killing child abusers/molesters/sellers we'd turn into a police state. Somehow.

Literally no one in the previous ten thousand debates we've had on the subject said it would turn us into a police state. Can we please not start this again, and just agree to disagree?
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

wrightway

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2013, 07:20:01 pm »

Probably because too many people would resort to mob justice, innocent people would be murdered, etc.

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2013, 07:22:34 pm »
From TYT, back in 2010.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUszQmicDr0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUszQmicDr0</a>
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2013, 08:38:01 am »
Seriously, STFU about the whole "You guys are monsters for not wanting to kill them" bullshit. Think before you fucking post.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2013, 10:31:32 pm »
Correction made. We're not the best species in this world when it comes to caring for offspring.

We're certainly ahead of the curve compared to a lot of animals. Those who casually kill and/or eat their own family members are in the minority, for instance. Or those who murder their desired mate's kids so they can try to bone her instead.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Radiation

• ILLUMINATI...ASSEMBLE!
  • The Beast
  • Just Radiation, I am so uncreative
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2013, 10:49:57 pm »
I was going to say that we treat our pets better than this. I never heard of "re-homing" up until now and from what it sounds like... it's very much illegal. I got to wonder what people like Debra get out of taking in kids because from the article, this woman had children there that weren't even legally adopted.
"Radiation, were beauty measured by the soul instead of the body, you would be legendary on the status of Helen of Troy. Be strong." -The Sandman