Author Topic: The lead-up to the 2018 midterms begins  (Read 36911 times)

Offline DarkPhoenix

• Bishop
Re: The lead-up to the 2018 midterms begins
« Reply #240 on: January 19, 2019, 09:41:31 pm »
DAAAAAAAAAAAAMN!

The right really does fear AOC for some reason.  Like they can't really marginalize her in a way that'll make her just go away.

Ironbite-that scares them.

They fear her because she's very good at understanding social media, and can reach a younger group of people the Repubs count on ignoring politics in order to win.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #241 on: January 19, 2019, 10:07:41 pm »
DAAAAAAAAAAAAMN!

The right really does fear AOC for some reason.  Like they can't really marginalize her in a way that'll make her just go away.

Ironbite-that scares them.

Quote from: Derek Willis
I'm at a political science conference and can safely report that political scientists don't really know what to make of @AOC, either.

I'll tell you what's going on. She represents ME. She represents everyone I know. She represents the normal people. She cares about OUR interests. In my lifetime I have NEVER felt this represented before in government. It's time for government to work for us, as it was intended. To all the people coming out of the woodwork to spew hate: I love that she represents you too, and that her policies will benefit you as well. I feel sorry for all those that can't or won't see this.

Her maiden speech on the floor is already the most-watched video in C-SPAN history, apparently: https://www.c-span.org/video/?456929-2/237-187-house-passes-121-billion-disaster-relief-bill-february-8 (at 7:03:19, roughly 4 minutes)

There was also her schooling democracy-stealing former Governor of Wisconsin Scott Walker on marginal tax rates after she suggested the moderate policy of a 70% marginal rate on income over $10,000,000:

Explaining tax rates before Reagan to 5th graders: “Imagine if you did chores for your grandma and she gave you $10.  When you got home, your parents took $7 from you.”  The students said: “That’s not fair!” Even 5th graders get it.

Explaining marginal taxes to a far-right former Governor:

Imagine if you did chores for abuela & she gave you $10. When you got home, you got to keep it, because it’s only $10.

Then we taxed the billionaire in town because he’s making tons of money underpaying the townspeople.

On another note... https://morningconsult.com/2019/01/10/americas-most-and-least-popular-senators-q4-2018/

Susan Collins is still 13th in approval for Senators. (Slipping, but well above water.)
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Chaos Undivided

• Pope
  • Death to the False Emperor!
« Reply #242 on: January 19, 2019, 10:14:08 pm »
Yeah, nothing wrong with criticizing AOC, but I think a lot of her critics are a little too fixated on her. It doesn't help that they keep choosing the dumbest reasons to attack her.
Anti-authoritarian, anti-extremist, anti-bullshit.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #243 on: January 19, 2019, 10:31:19 pm »
Best take I've heard: "If they keep attacking her like this, they're gonna accidentally make her President."
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline DarkPhoenix

• Bishop
« Reply #244 on: January 19, 2019, 11:17:34 pm »

There was also her schooling democracy-stealing former Governor of Wisconsin Scott Walker on marginal tax rates after she suggested the moderate policy of a 70% marginal rate on income over $10,000,000:

And this prompted washed-up-piece-of-shit Joe Lieberman to come out of wherever the fuck he was hiding to get into the "attack AOC" act... And now he's angry she acted like she didn't know who he was ;)

Most people remember you, Joe.  You're the piece of shit who wrecked the true potential of Obamacare and was a boil on the side of the Democratic Party for decades.

Offline Chaos Undivided

• Pope
« Reply #245 on: January 19, 2019, 11:57:59 pm »
Well, I remember Lieberman... and how Ned Lamont took the piss out of his incessant attack ads.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWSN2zbydKw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWSN2zbydKw</a>

Offline Kanzenkankaku

• The Beast
  • Dreamer/Lightner
    • Mastadon Account
« Reply #246 on: January 20, 2019, 02:55:39 am »
Imagine the frothing rage. PRESIDENT Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez. Pres Cortez.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #247 on: January 20, 2019, 03:03:13 am »
Imagine the frothing rage. PRESIDENT Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez. Pres Cortez.

Cortez-Tlaib 2028.

EDIT: Or 2024; Rep. Cortez would be just old enough.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 03:40:06 am by dpareja »

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #248 on: January 20, 2019, 11:08:23 am »
Shit, gimmie 5 years and some change and I'll be old enough.  Hey, if you're gonna vote for a gormless honkie, you might as well vote for one with a sense of humour.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #249 on: January 20, 2019, 11:13:17 am »
Welp, I learned a new word today.
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #250 on: January 26, 2019, 09:53:44 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83xQt5ZMvIY

Ben Stein: AOC is no different from Adolf Hitler, Joseph Stalin, and Mao Tse-tung!

They really can't help themselves, can they.

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
« Reply #251 on: January 26, 2019, 09:58:02 pm »
Stalin Killed Tens of millions of people.  Hitler killed tens of millions of people.  Mao killed tens of millions of people.  AOC wants to restore the tax rates to where they were under Richard Nixon. 

Checks out.  They are totally the same.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #252 on: January 26, 2019, 10:04:05 pm »
Stalin Killed Tens of millions of people.  Hitler killed tens of millions of people.  Mao killed tens of millions of people.  AOC wants to restore the tax rates to where they were under Richard Nixon. 

Checks out.  They are totally the same.

Don't forget her dastardly plans to lower health care and university tuition costs.

Offline Chaos Undivided

• Pope
« Reply #253 on: January 26, 2019, 10:11:59 pm »
This is as laughable as his "documentary" saying belief in evolution caused the Holocaust.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #254 on: January 27, 2019, 01:37:11 am »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbD-CGrj3DA

But I do think a system that allows billionaires to exist when there are parts of Alabama where, where people are still getting ringworm because they don't have access to public health is wrong, and I think it's wrong, I, I think that it's wrong that, that a vast majority of the country does not make a living wage, I think it's wrong that you can work a hundred hours and not feed your kids, I think it's wrong that, that corporations like Wal-Mart can, and, and Amazon can get paid, they can get paid for the, by our gov--by the government, essentially, experience a wealth transfer from the public for paying people less than a minimum wage, and it's, it not only doesn't make economic sense, but it doesn't make moral sense, and it doesn't make societal sense.

(I'm pretty sure Rep. Ocasio-Cortez meant "less than a living wage" when she said "less than a minimum wage".)