Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1482712 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #6795 on: February 26, 2017, 03:43:21 am »
Everyone is orgasm over how great Stellaris is an here I am without a computer that would run it.

...Or the time to play it if I'm honest.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline lord gibbon

• That Weird Guy in the Corner
  • The Beast
  • living trivia machine
« Reply #6796 on: February 26, 2017, 05:01:40 pm »
Oh believe me, I know. I only got my new computer at Christmas, and it was only yesterday my new card came in so I could buy it. Hence my joy in last nights comment.
Excuse me, sir, do you have a minute to talk about your lord and savior, Hannibal Barca?

Quote from: Seneca
Religion is regarded by the common man as true, by the wise man as false, and by the powerful man as useful
Yeah, if the pagans are so smart, why did Jesus invade Pagan-land on the back of a dragon and kill them all!

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #6797 on: February 26, 2017, 09:36:19 pm »
I have no idea what Stellaris even is.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #6798 on: February 26, 2017, 09:52:00 pm »
It looks like a pretty standard 4x space game. Personally, I always like the idea of playing them, but in practice I never have a clue what the fuck I'm doing.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #6799 on: February 27, 2017, 12:26:00 am »
It has a huge amount of stuff, just the ways you can build the society is amazing. Like a recent patch that brought in hiveminds that changes most of the society mechanics (things like morale no longer matter as everyone is working toghether for the plan they all have agreed on.)

Do you want to build a slave empire? It affects societies differently based on their beliefs as they might accept it (or accept it only on captured enemies) or be so against it that the morale loss makes it into a net loss in productivity.

Robot workers? Watch out for that AI rebellion that may occur.

Like Trump jokes? The game company made announcements about "building a wall around the galaxy" and put in some jokes in to the game as soon as Trump campaign went viral.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #6800 on: February 27, 2017, 09:12:25 am »
So... I can make the Borg?  Fuck it, I'm sold.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #6801 on: February 27, 2017, 10:31:57 am »
Huh. It didn't ring any bells but it seems I have it on my wish list already. I guess it's a must buy at some point.

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #6802 on: March 04, 2017, 07:48:18 am »
I just fought through a 40-minute massive battle in Rome II: Total War. It was an absolute slog and it took forever, but honestly, seeing the results screen made it all worth it.

There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline lord gibbon

• That Weird Guy in the Corner
  • The Beast
  • living trivia machine
« Reply #6803 on: March 04, 2017, 06:51:43 pm »
I'm assuming the Scordisci had reinforcements, right?
Excuse me, sir, do you have a minute to talk about your lord and savior, Hannibal Barca?

Quote from: Seneca
Religion is regarded by the common man as true, by the wise man as false, and by the powerful man as useful
Yeah, if the pagans are so smart, why did Jesus invade Pagan-land on the back of a dragon and kill them all!

Offline chad sexington

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #6804 on: March 04, 2017, 07:46:32 pm »
Playing the original Rome: Total War expansion, I survived a six-hour siege from the entire Vandal horde.  Lost my ruler and several generals, and won pretty much by the skin of my teeth.

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #6805 on: March 04, 2017, 08:47:25 pm »
I'm assuming the Scordisci had reinforcements, right?

Yes indeed, as did I. The picture there doesn't show the full story: I had two full armies, and he had three armies (none of which were full) and a city garrison. I happened to save another screenshot from the midst of the battle, near the end:

It shows the full battle better, I think, but even then, a lot of the enemy had run away by this point.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #6806 on: March 05, 2017, 12:24:58 am »
Nothing like a 10:1 kill death ratio. Really show the enemy who's boss.

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #6807 on: March 05, 2017, 05:57:41 pm »
I'm playing BoW, and I'm starting to think it might surpass OoT. Anyone else?
Beware those who hate the rich more than they love the poor.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #6808 on: March 05, 2017, 06:29:05 pm »
Pretty much every 3D Zelda surpasses Ocarina of time. Well, except maybe Skyward Sword, if the rumours are to be believed. Majora's Mask, Wind Waker and Twilight Princess though most certainly shit all over it.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #6809 on: March 05, 2017, 08:11:12 pm »
Mostly because OoT is the blue print every 3D Zelda worked off of.  Breath of the Wild somehow goes back to its roots and is surprisingly Dark Souls like from what I can gather.

Ironbite-cause you will die...a lot.