Author Topic: Fort Bragg wont let us feed homeless vets at the atheist festival  (Read 2583 times)

Offline CaseAgainstFaith

• Pope
  • Smartass with a Dunce Hat
Fort Bragg’s lawyers say this is ‘fundraising’ and illegal

They are applying the ‘no fundraising’ concept quite liberally towards our festival. None of our vendors may accept donations (but they can sell stuff. That’s how you donate to them! Bring cash…)

Why is there a ban on ‘fundraising’ anyway? Joint Ethics regulation 3-211 is the culprit.

This image actually comes from the paperwork filed by the Christian event (emphasis mine). We obtained it in a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request. It was in a section marked ‘REGULATIONS THAT APPLY TO THIS EVENT’.

This means that the evangelicals surely had to follow this law too, right? Of course not.

They were permitted to raise funds (in the form of cash!) for months on post. They raised $54,000 in tithing at every chapel on post – there are several. That is a colossal fundraising effort, repeatedly violating the regulation – at multiple locations on post.

They spent the money on radio commercials (over $5K) and newspapers ($5K) and sandwiches, face paint, transportation and hotel rooms for their guests, etc. It represents institutionalized violations of the ethics code that they claim applies to their own event. The cleverest among you may notice that the entire point of their event was to convert as many people as possible to Christianity – a membership drive is an understatement. People should be in a massive amount of trouble for this!

http://freethoughtblogs.com/rockbeyondbelief/2012/03/27/fort-bragg-wont-let-us-feed-homeless-vets-at-the-atheist-festival/

tl;dr Atheists can't fund raise for a good cause yet Christians can.

It is a bit sad and my main reason for posting was just the cause they are trying to promote.  Too bad the army caters more to christians than atheists.  I think it would be a peaceful, and good  F U  if their drive turns out to be a success in spite of the army trying to hinder them.
Reasoning with a fundie is like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it is victorious - Anonymous
Let us drink like dwarves; Smoke like wizards and party like hobbits!

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
  • That angry queer your tone trolls warned you about
    • Queer & Khmer
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

Offline CaseAgainstFaith

• Pope
  • Smartass with a Dunce Hat
Reasoning with a fundie is like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it is victorious - Anonymous
Let us drink like dwarves; Smoke like wizards and party like hobbits!

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
Re: Fort Bragg wont let us feed homeless vets at the atheist festival
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 02:17:04 pm »
I HOPE ALL THOSE FUNDIE BOOGERS ARE VOTED OUT THIS NOVEMBER! BASTARDS!

DEEDS! NOT CREEDS!

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Re: Fort Bragg wont let us feed homeless vets at the atheist festival
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 02:24:41 pm »
Oh god I wish Skyfire was here to defend this.

Ironbite-this is his neighborhood.