Author Topic: School refuses to stop bullies, mom gives gay son a stun gun  (Read 8847 times)

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
The mother of an openly gay 17-year-old high school student from Indianapolis says she stands by her decision to arm her son with a stun gun so he could defend himself against relentless bullying from classmates.

"I do not promote violence — not at all — but what is a parent to do when she has done everything that she felt she was supposed to do ... at the school?" Chelisa Grimes told CNN yesterday.

Darnell "Dynasty" Young, who came out in his freshman year, says he has been the victim of anti-gay bullying since before he was open about his sexuality. He claims classmates would regularly call him names and throw rocks and other objects at him, both on school grounds and off. "All day I'd be on my guard," he told the Indy Star. "It never got better. It always got worse."

According to his mother, the harassment affected his behavior at school and at home. His grades had dropped from A's to F's, and he was increasingly argumentative. Young even left home for a time before returning to try and start anew.

The bullying, however, refused to abate, and Young says his complaints to the school went unheeded. "If you wear female apparel, then kids are kids and they're going to say whatever it is that they want to say," said Arsenal Tech High School principal Larry Yarrell.

Despite the victim-blaming language, Yarrell insists he isn't blaming Young for the other students' anti-gay attitude. "They're just trying to make his transition over here as easy as they possibly can," Yarrell said of the staff's suggestion to Young that he "tone it down as much as possible" so "people won't have as much to say."

http://gawker.com/5908227/mother-who-gave-gay-son-stun-gun-to-fend-off-high-school-bullies-says-she-had-no-choice

I don't know where to put this, so mods if this needs to be moved feel free to do so.

The school's victim blaming is horrible. It reminds me of those people who blame rape victims for wearing mini-skirts.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Re: School refuses to stop bullies, mom gives gay son a stun gun
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 03:31:04 pm »
Once again we see what happens when people are confronted with something they're not prepared to accept.

Ironbite-and we get crap like this.

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 04:28:03 pm »
Yeah, a stun gun sounds about right. But sooner or later some person who would normally have a hard-on for unrestricted gun use is going to flip their shit because a "fag" is allowed to "persecute Christians on school grounds."

My only fear is that the bullies are going to come to school with something much more lethal.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
Re: Re: School refuses to stop bullies, mom gives gay son a stun gun
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 04:32:14 pm »
"If you wear female apparel, then kids are kids and they're going to say whatever it is that they want to say," said Arsenal Tech High School principal Larry Yarrell.

Despite the victim-blaming language, Yarrell insists he isn't blaming Young for the other students' anti-gay attitude. "They're just trying to make his transition over here as easy as they possibly can," Yarrell said of the staff's suggestion to Young that he "tone it down as much as possible" so "people won't have as much to say."

Okay, the principle sounds like kind of an ass if all he does is tell him to tone it down.  Maybe, I dunno, trying to stop the bullying in the first place might help too?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 05:39:22 pm by TGRwulf »
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 04:36:13 pm »
On one hand, I think the kid should tone it down, not because others said so, but because it WILL make it that little bit easier.

Then again the idea of some dumbass bully spasming on the ground after being zapped is such a wonderful mental image, it makes me want to yell "wear a pink dress" just so he can zap the rest of the little fuckers that try to assault him
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline Fpqxz

• The Beast
  • Generic forum poster #666
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 05:29:16 pm »
School is, ideally, a place where you are supposed to go to learn stuff.

While the students' treatment of Darnell is inexcusable, anyone who comes to school in drag on a day that isn't Halloween is asking for trouble and drawing all kinds of negative attention to himself.  This kid needs to start exercising some common sense BEFORE any sort of violence happens, in order to de-escalate the situation.

(Note that most schools also have some sort of dress code, and I'm not sure if this kid is violating his)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 05:33:27 pm by Fpqxz »
Read some real news:  Allgov.com, JURIST

Step down Mr. and Mrs. Politically Correct.
It's so easy to be "punk" and "aware" living at home.
You can't change shit, you're too self-righteous;
you're the bigots you flaunt to loathe.
--Thought Industry, Boil

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2012, 05:38:37 pm »
I definitely support the mom in this case.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 05:50:57 pm by niam2023 »
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2012, 06:04:16 pm »
School is the place to learn things. Bigots should learn their place.

/Somewhat self-indulgent, not full thought through.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2012, 06:08:45 pm »
I'd also send him to learn some martial arts. Maybe the one that was invented by this guy (http://badassoftheweek.com/lichtenfeld.html).
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline DrFishcake

• The Beast
  • A vegetarian called Fishcake. Long story.
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2012, 06:17:35 pm »
Probably better he takes a stun gun now than a significantly more lethal arsenal further down the line somewhere.

QueenofHearts

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2012, 06:21:25 pm »

While the students' treatment of Darnell is inexcusable, anyone who comes to school in drag on a day that isn't Halloween is asking for trouble and drawing all kinds of negative attention to himself.  This kid needs to start exercising some common sense BEFORE any sort of violence happens, in order to de-escalate the situation.

(Note that most schools also have some sort of dress code, and I'm not sure if this kid is violating his)

Yes, just like when I went to school presenting as female I was just asking for trouble, drawing all kinds of negative stereotypes, and looking to be bullied.

Its the other students that need to exercise common sense and leave him alone for his sexual orientation, gender identity, or just the clothes he enjoys wearing. Maybe the school should exercise common sense and de-escalate the situation by punishing the bullies before it came to this extreme a situation. Putting the onus of the situation on the victim of all of this is not the right course of action, and it is certainly not the right course of action to appeal to school policies which usually seek to repress the gender expression of their trans students.

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2012, 06:25:11 pm »
Telling the victim to “tone it down” also tells the bullies that they are in the right for picking on the victim. And even if the victim does “tone it down,” that will not stop the bullying. Bullies are seeking a power trip and will find the flimsiest of excuses to get it. Once they pick a victim they will stick on that victim until the bullies face some consequence themselves.
-A Pen Name

Art Vandelay

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2012, 07:05:53 pm »
I most definitely support this fellow 100%. If zapping the little shits is what it takes to get them to mind their own damn business (especially if the school refuses to even try and stop them), then by all means zap away.

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2012, 07:28:42 pm »
Unfortunately, I fully expect the parents of the first bully to get zapped to sue Darnell’s mom.
-A Pen Name

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2012, 08:56:08 pm »

And what if all he was wearing was a bright pink shirt and jeans?  And this is a public school which probably has no dress code outside of no gangs no drugs.  What then?  You really think this kid is coming to school dressed in drag?  Are you for real?  Cause if you are I have a woodshed to show you.

Ironbite-and some sense to hammer into your skull.