Author Topic: "Vibrational foods"  (Read 4043 times)

Offline arcturus

• Neonate
"Vibrational foods"
« on: June 20, 2012, 06:59:13 pm »
So I got into an argument.  A new-age Yoga addict wanted to introduce me to, well "have you heard about the vibrational quality of foods?".

"huh?"  I think "no" would've been a clearer answer.

Over the next hour, I'm subjected to a load or pseudo science and bollocks from stuff like people who name "universities" after themselves before they've died (or had anything useful published in a journal), etc.

After 2 hours of googling to try to find out simple things, like 1: what the hell are you talking about?  2: what do you mean by "vibrations"?,  3: how does one measure this?,  and 4: has it ever been tested?, the closest I've found is that it's something to do with Prana or Yin and Yang, depending on which eastern religion du jour they've chosen to cherry-pick from.  I say "cherry-pick", because the guy who mentioned Prana - a Hindu concept - on his website didn't seem to have any other references to any other aspects of Hinduism whatsoever, and the inclusions of phenomena (perceived or otherwise) from various other belief systems on his site suggests to me that he's probably not a practicing Hindu or a believer in many of its other concepts.

Not really fundie, but definitely heading in the opposite direction of progress through rational enquiry.  Anyway, I failed to find a single description on what on earth this is about, but about 5 million pages of healers, people who think crystals are special etc.

So I guess I have learnt something today - I learnt about a new way for sick people to avoid seeing a trained doctor.  oh well.

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
Re: "Vibrational foods"
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 07:01:48 pm »
Does one have to eat vibrational food, or can you -- you know -- put it places?
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 07:09:34 pm »
My dad believes in "morphic resonance fields" (which seamlessly combines the pseudosciences of evo-psych and quantum woo), but even I've never heard him say anything like that.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Reb Yid

• Neonate
  • The Most Sababa
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 07:11:27 pm »
"Vibrational foods", eh?

It never ceases to amaze me what kind of excuses people will make up just to avoid going to the doctor. Are these so-called "mystics" afraid of needles or something?
This is the essence of Torah: love your neighbour as yourself.

Rabbi Akiva

Offline Morgenleoht

• The Beast
  • Formerly Known As Runa
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 07:11:46 pm »
Wut?
Fundie Neighbour: "Pagans don't feel things the same way Christians do."

Me: "Just remember what the Vikings used to do to Christians that annoyed them."

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 07:36:38 pm »
"Vibrational foods", eh?

It never ceases to amaze me what kind of excuses people will make up just to avoid going to the doctor. Are these so-called "mystics" afraid of needles or something?

I've found that "alternative medicine" tends to appeal to people who do not have much knowledge about science, yet still have unrealistically inflated egos (read: conspiracy theorists and wannabe hipsters). This ties into a lot of the claims that quacks make when they say that "Big Pharma" is suppressing their technology, or that this is what "they" don't want you to know, etc. The entire marketing scheme is based on Appeals to Novelty scattered with Appeals to Nature.

Ironically, a lot of these "mystics" (like my dad) who hate "Western" doctors end up going to quacks instead. Most of the time the "treatments" are just placebos and wastes of money, but a few of the so-called "doctors" he's gone to have given very dangerous and stupid advice.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Iczerfour

• Spawn of Pinkamena and Flutterbat
  • Pope
  • Now won't you stop moving, interrupting's not nice
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 07:54:05 pm »
beans give me vibrations....  In my ass.

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 10:49:19 pm »
beans give me vibrations....  In my ass.

Don’t think that makes you special, now.
-A Pen Name

Offline Radiation

• ILLUMINATI...ASSEMBLE!
  • The Beast
  • Just Radiation, I am so uncreative
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 11:28:40 pm »
This is new to me though I am not surprised. I have however just recently found out about orgonite, which really has nothing to do with food but is used in gardens because supposedly a magic paperweight makes the crop grow bigger and better.
"Radiation, were beauty measured by the soul instead of the body, you would be legendary on the status of Helen of Troy. Be strong." -The Sandman

Offline Jedi Knight

• Neonate
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2012, 12:49:03 am »
My dad believes in "morphic resonance fields" (which seamlessly combines the pseudosciences of evo-psych and quantum woo), but even I've never heard him say anything like that.

Interesting. Does your dad also happen to believe in the Great A'Tuin?

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2012, 08:49:16 am »
Vibrational... foods?  Oookay then.
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2012, 08:38:02 pm »
Well, the molecules in food are in constant motion...but....no.  There is no such thing as vibe food.
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2012, 09:45:54 pm »
"Vibrational foods", eh?

I've found that "alternative medicine" tends to appeal to people who do not have much knowledge about science, yet still have unrealistically inflated egos (read: conspiracy theorists and wannabe hipsters). This ties into a lot of the claims that quacks make when they say that "Big Pharma" is suppressing their technology, or that this is what "they" don't want you to know, etc. The entire marketing scheme is based on Appeals to Novelty scattered with Appeals to Nature.

Ironically, a lot of these "mystics" (like my dad) who hate "Western" doctors end up going to quacks instead. Most of the time the "treatments" are just placebos and wastes of money, but a few of the so-called "doctors" he's gone to have given very dangerous and stupid advice.

I have a new theory. Something went wrong when you were conceived, and you somehow sucked up your dad's intelligence, as opposed to merely inheriting it.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2012, 10:46:30 pm »
I really want to know who comes up with these ideas, though whether this is to smack them for being stupid or congratulate them on some Class A trolling, I'm not sure.
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Offline Radiation

• ILLUMINATI...ASSEMBLE!
  • The Beast
  • Just Radiation, I am so uncreative
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2012, 09:52:04 am »
I really want to know who comes up with these ideas, though whether this is to smack them for being stupid or congratulate them on some Class A trolling, I'm not sure.

You should probably do both.

However, I wonder if this is on the same principle of how in some cultures, such as China and Singapore where it is believed that eating certain foods help to balance one's "chi" energies. Also there are other cultures such as seen in Latin America where certain foods are considered "hot" or "cold" and help to balance alchemical properties in the bodies, especially when recovering from injuries, sickness and surgeries. Cereal for example, is considered a "hot" food.
"Radiation, were beauty measured by the soul instead of the body, you would be legendary on the status of Helen of Troy. Be strong." -The Sandman