Author Topic: SCOTUS sez wearing fake military medals not a crime  (Read 5292 times)

Offline Fpqxz

• The Beast
  • Generic forum poster #666
SCOTUS sez wearing fake military medals not a crime
« on: June 28, 2012, 09:08:07 pm »
With all the commotion over the healthcare law, one story has (mostly) slipped through the cracks:  The Supreme Court of the United States has struck down the Stolen Valor Act, which made it a federal misdemeanor to falsely represent oneself as having received any U.S. military decoration or medal, on First Amendment grounds.

Article from JURIST

United States v. Alvarez slip opinion (PDF, 49 pages)

I've got to be honest, I'm not sure how I feel about this.   :-\
Read some real news:  Allgov.com, JURIST

Step down Mr. and Mrs. Politically Correct.
It's so easy to be "punk" and "aware" living at home.
You can't change shit, you're too self-righteous;
you're the bigots you flaunt to loathe.
--Thought Industry, Boil

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
Re: SCOTUS sez wearing fake military medals not a crime
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 09:17:13 pm »
I used to wear real ones because I needed them for a school project and they were effing expensive at the surplus store. Granted, I never really learned the "proper" way to wear them (orientation, location on clothes, etc.), which probably made it clear that I didn't really know what they were for. My vet relatives understood that I didn't mean any disrespect by it, and I only ever had one problem with a hothead marine who seemed to think the sole reason for my existence was to piss him off.

I don't see what the big deal is.
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Offline TigerHunter

• Bishop
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 09:32:05 pm »
Stupid law anyway.

Offline Auri-El

• Raxacoricofallapatorian
  • Pope
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 09:37:10 pm »
I think falsely claiming to have earned medals is extremely disrespectful to those who actually have earned them. (Wearing them to class for an assignment doesn't count, imo, because the student is not claiming to have earned them and claiming the benefits that go along with earning them.)

Offline Fpqxz

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 09:44:03 pm »
I think the narrow tailoring requirement is what sank this law.  It was too broadly drawn.  If it only applied to this conduct in a specific set of circumstances, it might have been upheld.

--Thought Industry, Boil

shykid

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 10:01:31 pm »
Pretending you're a war hero and a veteran is a shitty as hell thing to do and profoundly disrespectful to all those who legitimately shed blood and sacrificed their limbs, sanity, and lives fighting for their country. Still, this law was too broad and should have been narrowed to wearing said metals specifically for the purpose of claiming or implying one earned them. Wearing them for acting, school projects, etc. are totally different than wearing them under the pretense you earned them.

Offline TigerHunter

• Bishop
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 10:05:52 pm »
Still, this law was too broad and should have been narrowed to wearing said metals specifically for the purpose of claiming or implying one earned them.
How would that make it any less of a violation of freedom of speech?

Offline Auri-El

• Raxacoricofallapatorian
  • Pope
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2012, 10:09:36 pm »
Personally, I consider such claims to be equivalent to identity theft. Identity theft isn't protected speech, and neither should be false claims of service or honors.

Offline TigerHunter

• Bishop
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2012, 10:29:55 pm »
Personally, I consider such claims to be equivalent to identity theft. Identity theft isn't protected speech, and neither should be false claims of service or honors.
Except that identity theft is, y'know, theft. Wearing a metal you didn't earn harms no one.

Offline Fpqxz

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2012, 10:32:13 pm »
Still, this law was too broad and should have been narrowed to wearing said metals specifically for the purpose of claiming or implying one earned them.

If someone were to claim having won an award for the purposes of getting a job, obtaining government benefits, securing a contract, etc. it would be speech incident to fraud, which is not protected by the 1st Amendment.

The Act as it existed before today made no such specifications as to when a claim was fraudulent.  Hence, it was too broadly drawn.

--Thought Industry, Boil

Offline TigerHunter

• Bishop
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2012, 10:58:56 pm »

If someone were to claim having won an award for the purposes of getting a job, obtaining government benefits, securing a contract, etc. it would be speech incident to fraud, which is not protected by the 1st Amendment.

The Act as it existed before today made no such specifications as to when a claim was fraudulent.  Hence, it was too broadly drawn.
Agreed. However, simply claiming to have won a medal for no fraudulent purpose should not be a crime.

Offline Fpqxz

• The Beast
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2012, 11:02:18 pm »

Agreed. However, simply claiming to have won a medal for no fraudulent purpose should not be a crime.

Umm, yeah, that's pretty much what I (and the Court) said.

--Thought Industry, Boil

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2012, 02:14:25 am »
I wore real medals. For ROTC. And in no way did I want people to take me for an actual member of the military. Cause I wasn't. I hadn't been sworn in or signed my life to the government.

Wearing a military uniform and pretending to be a military member, or retired, or anything else is not something I can sit idly by and watch.

That said, they need to draw up a tighter law about it. I'm sick of seeing people pretend to be military for some sort of glory.

There's a reason it was called Stolen Valor.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2012, 02:21:15 am »
I actually agree with this decision. If a person runs around with medals going "rah rah rah I was in a war look at me look at me!". Thats not a problem, doesnt harm anyone, get over it.

If he uses it to his advantage to get a job or some other monetary benefit or acquisition, then you have a problem
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2012, 04:14:32 am »
Just wearing a medal and such is rude and disrespectful to those who have earned those medals. However, in a country with free speech one does not have a right not to be offended, nor a law preventing you from doing or saying something offensive.
If you are claiming to be a member of the military for some kind of benefit, that is to me fraud and a serious problem.
They should tighten up the wording of the law and try again.