Author Topic: California's GOP is on the verge of collapsing.  (Read 3391 times)

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
  • That angry queer your tone trolls warned you about
    • Queer & Khmer
California's GOP is on the verge of collapsing.
« on: July 24, 2012, 04:39:38 pm »
http://www.addictinginfo.org/2012/07/23/californias-gop-is-near-collapse/

According to a report in the New York Times, California’s Republican Party is on its way to becoming a minor party. Only 30% of the State’s electorate is Republican, compared to 43% who are Democrats and 21% who are independents. A consultant to the GOP, Allan Hoffenblum, pointed out that the 30% figure means Republicans can’t win a statewide election. “You just can’t get enough crossover voters. They have alienated large swaths of voters. They have become too doctrinaire on the social issues. It’s become a cult.”

Another Republican consultant, Steve Schmidt, said, “The institution of the California Republican Party, I would argue, has effectively collapsed. It doesn’t do any of the things that a political party should do. It doesn’t register voters. It doesn’t recruit candidates. It doesn’t raise money. The Republican Party in the state institutionally has become a small ideological club that is basically in the business of hunting out heretics…When you look at the population growth, the actual party is shrinking. It’s becoming more white. It’s becoming older.”

Well yeah, when you pander to extremists and alienate people, you tend to fuck up.
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
Re: California's GOP is on the verge of collapsing.
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 04:46:26 pm »
Now, expand this to the GOP at large, and we'll have a fighting chance at...somethin.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 05:43:42 pm »
I hope their political party dies for driving our state into the mud.

And so one GOP became what every sensible person knew they were from the start: a heretic hunting extremist cult.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Fpqxz

• The Beast
  • Generic forum poster #666
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 05:52:30 pm »
Here is the original NY Times article if anyone is interested.

Now, expand this to the GOP at large, and we'll have a fighting chance at...somethin.

Or alternatively, neither major party will be able to get a clear majority, and we will end up with long-term deadlock, leaving us directionless and bereft of anything resembling "leadership".  You know, like much of the developed world at this point.
Read some real news:  Allgov.com, JURIST

Step down Mr. and Mrs. Politically Correct.
It's so easy to be "punk" and "aware" living at home.
You can't change shit, you're too self-righteous;
you're the bigots you flaunt to loathe.
--Thought Industry, Boil

Offline TigerHunter

• Bishop
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 06:54:37 pm »
Seems like a good opportunity for a third party to sieze power.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 07:02:32 pm »
In Cali they will.  Rest of the country eh...

Ironbite-gonna take a few more elections.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 07:05:47 pm »
Not likely. 30% of voters vote Republican while 21% are Independent (I.E. split between a multitude of third parties). While I hate to be the resident killjoy, the Republicans are still in a far stronger position to come back than even the most popular third party is to rise up and take their place.

QueenofHearts

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 07:47:59 pm »
Not likely. 30% of voters vote Republican while 21% are Independent (I.E. split between a multitude of third parties). While I hate to be the resident killjoy, the Republicans are still in a far stronger position to come back than even the most popular third party is to rise up and take their place.

I have to agree, if only for this reason

It doesn’t register voters. It doesn’t recruit candidates. It doesn’t raise money.

These problems can be solved in an election cycle or two. Now, if the GOP let this continue for 20-30 years, then people who vote for independents may become more set in their ways, but I don't think they'll let that happen. A good example of this would be Darrell Issa who beat a democratic challenger by 20% in a democratic year. Issa didn't have these problems as he had the money and spent it on his election.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2012, 08:01:54 pm »

The party is never going to kill itself. There are enough stupid or wealthy people for it to stay permanently viable.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 08:31:30 pm »
Yeah... I love my state, but that's not going to help it. Until we reverse the 2/3 majority needed to pass any kind of financial anything (tax hikes, for example), CA is fucked. Besides, it's not like the Dem. majority hasn't been cutting education and civil services left and right anyways.
As someone who hasn't had more than a couple chances to vote yet, let me just say...

NOT MY FAULT!
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
  • That angry queer your tone trolls warned you about
    • Queer & Khmer
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2012, 11:13:02 pm »
Yeah... I love my state, but that's not going to help it. Until we reverse the 2/3 majority needed to pass any kind of financial anything (tax hikes, for example), CA is fucked. Besides, it's not like the Dem. majority hasn't been cutting education and civil services left and right anyways.
As someone who hasn't had more than a couple chances to vote yet, let me just say...

NOT MY FAULT!

Bold for truth.
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2012, 12:34:10 am »
Who thought that deliberately preventing any elected government from acting was a good move?

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2012, 01:01:28 am »
Who thought that deliberately preventing any elected government from acting was a good move?

People who lost the election.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline DasFuchs

• God
  • Ruler of his own little world since 1977
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2012, 10:49:37 am »

(conservatives) who lost the election (to a nigger).
fixed
In true Republican style, the minute Obama claimed victory conservatives everywhere had a three year old baby fit and decided to take their toys and go home. Since then they've held a grudge and haven't budged.
Even funnier was how they figured "well, if a black man got voted in, we'll nominate our own for the next election" who failed miserably because he was just as stupidly corrupt and incompetent as the rest of the fools they sported
"To a New Yorker like you, a hero is some type of weird sandwich. Not some nut that takes on two Tigers!" "You gotta hit'em point blank in the ass!" Oddball

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2012, 07:49:36 pm »
Did late 2000s conservatives create the senate system and the fillibuster?

-FDR