Author Topic: OH Shit moments in gaming  (Read 19786 times)

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
Re: OH Shit moments in gaming
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2012, 02:17:11 pm »
Whenever I see more than one Banshee in Mass Effect 3. One, I've learned to handle. It's multiple Banshees that trigger me into outright flight if I can, or desperately working my sniper rifle if I can't.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2012, 06:50:36 pm »
(click to show/hide)
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Pak

• Neonate
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2012, 07:19:07 pm »
Playing any Command and Conquer game, campaign mode, and having a middle of the stage objective change that leaves me with my main forces a million miles away from the horde that just spawned right beside my base.

Kurkov turning on you in Red Alert 3, Soviet campaign, was one of them. You knew the asshole was going to do something, but he could have not done it while I was busy elsewhere.

Offline Sour Grapes

• Bishop
  • Brutally honest.
    • Ask Sour Grapes
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2012, 11:30:01 pm »
I don't know if this counts as an "Oh Shit" moment, "That ONE boss" or a A Goddamned Boss...

But Doc Mercy.  Dear fucking GHAWD, Doc Mercy.  Not only does he have a shield-eating e-tech Bandit brand blaster, he's got fucking Transfusion Grenades.

I get killed.  Often.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 11:43:28 pm by Sour Grapes »

Distind

« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2012, 07:06:01 am »
I don't know if this counts as an "Oh Shit" moment, "That ONE boss" or a A Goddamned Boss...

But Doc Mercy.  Dear fucking GHAWD, Doc Mercy.  Not only does he have a shield-eating e-tech Bandit brand blaster, he's got fucking Transfusion Grenades.

I get killed.  Often.
Yeah, I thought I was set when I found a orange 7x split grenade just before I ran into him. It helped, but it certainly didn't manage the job all on it's own. Did open him up for a few good criticals though.

Offline Zygarde

• Black trans queen of FQA
  • The Beast
  • Fuck trees, I climb clouds, motherfucker!'
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2012, 09:49:25 am »
For me another moment is the first time I encountered a Super Mutant in Fallout 3 I had seen them before but never up close until I was heading to Big Town cause  my friend told me about the quest there. So while walking there one of those green bastards appeared with a rocket launcher and killed me.

Offline Atheissimo

• Bishop
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2012, 05:19:32 pm »
A prolonged one in Civ 3

I'm very much an economic player. I tend to turn all my attention to money and tech in the hope of fielding a smaller but very advanced military rather than a massive zerg-rush military. There was me and the Aztecs taking up about 3/4 of the map, with a handful of tiny coastal countries, physically separated from the Aztecs by me, on my Eastern border.

I'd been trading and keeping these countries happy in my hippy economic strategy, when the Aztecs rushed a buttload of Crusaders into my territory. With my cities being minimally fortified and only a token standing army to bring to bear.

Looking like I was in the shit, I formed a coalition of the willing with my tiny friends, and pushed the Aztecs back into their territory until we'd driven a wedge into their country, splitting it in two. I then gifted all the captured cities to my little friends to keep the former Aztec territory fragmented and neutered whilst keeping my buddies happy.
'You're not married, you haven't got a girlfriend... and you've never watched Star Trek? Good Lord.' - Sir Patrick Stewart

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2012, 05:30:26 pm »
Old school "Oh Shit!" time!

Legend of Zelda (1):  Walking through a door into a room so full of blue darknuts that the screen slows and the door closes behind you...
"                            ":  Level 6 and level 9 labyrinths--Wizzrobes!  Holy crap the wizzrobes!  Wizzrobes have never been nearly as dangerous in any Zelda game since, IMO.

Offline Material Defender

• Food Scientist in Space
  • The Beast
  • Pilot of the Pyro-GX
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2012, 07:09:26 pm »
I was playing Europa Unviersalis 3 when I decided to attack Portugal (I can't remember why now.) and France attacked me right after that. It was just like "Well, that was dumb of me. I should remember that France is lurking there, waiting to kick me ass."
The material needs a defender more than the spiritual. If there is a higher power, it can defend itself from the material. Thus denotes 'higher power'.

"Not to know is bad. Not to want to know is worse. Not to hope is unthinkable. Not to care is unforgivable." -Nigerian Saying

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2012, 07:46:41 pm »
I'm surprised no one has mentioned this one yet.

There's an obscure but very well-made horror game for Gamecube called Eternal Darkness.  One of the nicer aspects of the game is that you can examine just about everything in it, whether it's plot-related or not:

At first this seems useless.  Okay, you can see paintings.  But after you've found a few hidden Chapter Pages (i.e., levels) you start to realize how useful it really is, and next thing you know you're pressing B every time "Examine" appears.

And then this happens.

Gotta love that upstairs bathroom.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 07:49:07 pm by TheL »
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2012, 08:07:41 pm »
^That was a heck of a game.  I loved the sanity meter mindscrews.

Saturn500

« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2012, 08:09:52 pm »
It's hard to believe the same developer would make such crap as Too Human and X-Men: Destiny.

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2012, 05:11:17 am »
The end of ME2.  Both my squademates were down, and I was out of ammo.  I jumped up to find more when Mecha-Cthulhu-Reaper popped right back up and glared down at me.  To say I needed new underwear is an understatement.

However, it turned into an awesome moment when I noticed heavy weapon ammo right in front of me and shot MCR right in the race with the Cain, getting the kill cutscene.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2012, 05:56:50 am »
I've had some in my latest EU3 game - first, when Portugal colonized the Azores before me. That gave them a vital foothold that they could later use to colonize the New World. Then, when Portugal went ahead and started, the tension ratcheted up until I could finally colonize the Eastern Seaboard, giving me dominance of one of the most valuable regions in North America.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2012, 12:22:47 pm »
(click to show/hide)
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.