Author Topic: Calif. Farm Workers Fired for Leaving Fields During Wildfire  (Read 2203 times)

Offline SkyTrekTower

• Bishop
...but self regulation will result in job creators caring for their employees.[sarcasm]

More than a dozen farm workers in Southern California were out of a job after walking out of the fields last week, forced indoors because of heavy smoke from a massive wildfire burning nearby.

“Oh, yeah, the smoke was very bad. That’s no doubt about that,” said Lauro Barrajas, of the United Farm Workers.

As the blaze, dubbed the Springs Fire, continued to grow in Camarillo May 2, farm workers 11 miles south in Oxnard said they started to feel the effects of the smoke in the strawberry fields.

The ashes were falling on top of us, one of them explained, adding “it was hard to breathe.”

Air quality in the region was at dangerously poor levels and 15 workers at Crisalida Farms decided they could not handle it any longer. They left, even though their foreman warned them they would not have a job when they returned.

When they went back to the fields May 3, the farm fired them.

[snip]

In a statement to Telemundo, the farm representative said the workers left without permission while orders still needed to be filled. The company offered to pay them for the hours they’d worked.

Link

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
Re: Calif. Farm Workers Fired for Leaving Fields During Wildfire
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 05:59:10 pm »
Gee, keep working and suffocate, or escape and starve looking for more work. Fuck!
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline KZN02

• The Beast
  • The Master of Tediousness
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 08:05:24 pm »
My hometown is nearby where the fire was, and on the way home I could see the fire from the harbor. Ah yes, I also know I pass by Oxnard with all those farms. I think there's an occasional strawberry fest or something.
What is, is not; what is not, is.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 09:59:46 pm »
WHAT'S WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE?! DID THEY WANT THE FARM WORKERS TO LITERALLY "GDIAF"?!

Do these bozos think people are made out of asbestos? Did they think they hired Meschach, Shadrach & Abendigo...or Jean Grey or The Human Torch?!

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 10:40:08 pm »
And this is why, people, I hate humanity sometimes.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 11:46:26 pm by TGRwulf »
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 11:18:46 pm »
Set the bozo who fired them on fire.

Not so much that he dies, mind you. Just enough for him to run around screaming for a few minutes.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

wrightway

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 08:12:34 am »
This is craziness. Is there any way to avoid buying from this farm?

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 08:31:07 am »
This is craziness. Is there any way to avoid buying from this farm?

I don't know. Buy local? Grow your own? What do they grow?

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 01:17:34 pm »
Strawberries if you'd bothered to read the article.

But yeah this is nuts.  They got fired for wanting to breath.  Shows where some companies are going don't it?

Ironbite-a serious disconnect with reality.

Offline The Illusive Man

• The Beast
  • Saw the ME3 endings, got turned into a husk. :(-
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2013, 01:30:00 pm »
Union representatives met with the farm’s upper management and applied a union rule.
“No worker shall work under conditions where they feel his life or health is in danger,” Barrajas said.
Ladies and gentlemen, a concise reason why unions are still needed in the 21st century. The fact that a union applied union rules for nonunion members shows who has empathy in that situation.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 01:32:15 pm by The Illusive Man »
Despite knowing about indoctrination I thought it was a good idea to put a human Reaper near my office. Now I am a sentient husk :(.

*RRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRR* *SCREECH* *smokes*