Author Topic: Matt Damon On Pres. Obama, "Obama Broke Up With Me".  (Read 3842 times)

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
Matt Damon On Pres. Obama, "Obama Broke Up With Me".
« on: August 15, 2013, 02:37:40 pm »
These two articles concern former Obama supporter, actor Matt Damon. Considering Obama's recent actions concerning drones, surveillance, etc. I'm kind of wondering about the POTUS, myself.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/09/matt-damon-obama-broke-up-with-me_n_3732426.html?utm_hp_ref=matt-damon

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/brent-budowsky/matt-damon-is-right_1_b_3761496.html?utm_hp_ref=matt-damon

I usually defended Obama in the past and I certainly find him an improvement from having a Far-Right fundie in charge but I now am wondering if he's that big of an improvement. Yes, he's done a lot of good but he's also upholding much of the same garbage as Bush 2. Sometimes I wonder if he just gave up fighting the GOP or if we have been duped.

I don't know what to think of Obama. I always saw in as a Centrist rather than a Liberal and knew he shared both Right & Left wing ideas.

Oh, well, it's his second term & January 2016 is a couple of years away. If Hillary runs, I'm voting her in!

Wendy Davis as Governor of Texas (she's thinking of running) in 2014.

Hillary Rodham-Clinton as POTUS in 2016 (she's thing of running) in 2016.

In the meantime, Progressives who can move should move to the Red Gerrymandered districts to undo the GOP's Electoral Cheat-Fest & make things fair!

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
Re: Matt Damon On Pres. Obama, "Obama Broke Up With Me".
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 05:10:09 pm »
Yeah, Obama isn't come out of his presidency with a particularly good legacy. And what is the chance of a good progressive candidate running for President for either of the only 2 viable parties? If Hillary ran I wouldn't have much faith in her being a significant improvement over Obama.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 05:27:45 pm »
I must admit I'm actually tempted to vote third party.

However, I'm predicting that no matter who runs for Democrat or Republican, we'll have a Republican president next time, simply because the masses think everyone in each party is exactly the same, so having another Democrat is having another Obama.

...Lo and behold, we'll have Republicans who will say that they'll disable the drones and stuff... and then we'll have more drones, on some bullshit justification.

And of course, them taking responsibility for what good Obama has done while blaming him for everything negative when when it isn't his fault (but, of course, especially when it is, to the point of making a mountaintop out of it so they can proclaim their 'family values')
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 07:17:45 pm »
I supported Obama in the first election because he was a good choice. I supported him in the second because he was the only real alternative to Mitt Romney.

Now? I wouldn't vote for him. Probably wouldn't vote for a Republican going against him either, but definitely not him now.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 10:12:35 pm »
Not that you could since he can't run for the presidency again.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 11:55:23 pm »
My answer to this is the "Green Dog Democrat". Green Party folks should become Democratic, that way, they can turn the party left-ward.

Considering the Prez, there's a lot that he's done right & he pretty cool on many areas but in some areas he's Bush 2.0.

On one hand, he's fairly Progressive in regards to social mores & civil rights in regards to ethnicity, religions, sex, gender, sexual orientation, etc. However, he's into PRISM, hasn't done a thing about Guantanamo, the drone thing & appointing questionable people in certain positions.

Sometimes he's an awesomely cool, Blue State sorta guy but sometimes he's possessed by pod-aliens from the Red State dimension.

I wonder if his more Regressive policies are due to trying to please or win the trust of the GOP. If so, he's the most naive person I've ever seen in my life.

Honestly, I have a weird feeling about him. I miss the Progressive, youthful, refreshing, former-community-organizer, "Change" guy.

Instead, we have the Neville Chamberlain of US Presidents....decent guy, perhaps, but appeases way too much.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 12:09:37 am by SpukiKitty »

Offline Damen

• That's COMMODORE SPLATMASTER Damen, Briber of Mods
  • The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
    • John Damen's Photography
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2013, 12:08:55 am »
I don't care who it is, I'll support the person, regardless of party, whom I think is the smallest douchenozzle. My civil liberties have been reamed out enough already.
"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

Offline lord gibbon

• That Weird Guy in the Corner
  • The Beast
  • living trivia machine
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2013, 12:14:08 am »
My answer to this is the "Green Dog Democrat". Green Party folks should become Democratic, that way, they can turn the party left-ward.

Considering the Prez, there's a lot that he's done right & he pretty cool on many areas but in some areas he's Bush 2.0.

On one hand, he's fairly Progressive in regards to social mores & civil rights in regards to ethnicity, religions, sex, gender, sexual orientation, etc. However, he's into PRISM, hasn't done a thing about Guantanamo, the drone thing & appointing questionable people in certain positions.

Sometimes he's an awesomely cool, Blue State sorta guy but sometimes he's possessed by pod-aliens from the Red State dimension.

I wonder if his more Regressive policies are due to trying to please or win the trust of the GOP. If so, he's the most naive person I've ever seen in my life.

Honestly, I have a weird feeling about him. I miss the Progressive, youthful, refreshing, former-community-organizer, "Change" guy.

Instead, we have the Neville Chamberlain of US Presidents....decent guy, perhaps, but appeases way too much.

Ultimately, the problem is that there is a master that both parties are loyal to. And that is the wealthy and the corporations. I honestly feel that Obama is feeling beaten by them, because I genuinely believe that he WANTS to make things better, but he can't because the money folk won't let him.
Excuse me, sir, do you have a minute to talk about your lord and savior, Hannibal Barca?

Quote from: Seneca
Religion is regarded by the common man as true, by the wise man as false, and by the powerful man as useful
Yeah, if the pagans are so smart, why did Jesus invade Pagan-land on the back of a dragon and kill them all!

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2013, 01:18:58 am »
I wrote something stupid. However, I deleted that post & will replace it with something smart.

Every time I'm feeling down in the dumps, full of fear or frustrated, I should read this article as a major pick-me-up.

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2013/08/15/this-chart-shows-why-right-wing-media-and-the-gop-are-doomed-chart/

PosthumanHeresy has been telling me this constantly. Now I have the info to prove it & cement it in my mind.

Thank you, PosthumanHeresy, for being a great friend. *HUGS*

And thank you, AddictingInfo, for this article.

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2013, 04:41:50 am »
You Americans are cute in how you actually still believe you live in a real democracy.
You have two parties who are polar opposites of each other on paper but identical in action. Both of them follow the money and are basically as bad if not worse than your average African dictatorship if the whole Snowden thing is anything to go on.
Third parties are excluded and strong armed out of the running to keep the two headed giant in the game ensuring that only one group actually wins.

I suppose I believe the dream too a while back. I thought Obama was just being kept on a short leash, but in his second term when all bets are off, it made me realize that he really is Bush again in democrat clothing. (to be fair he is smarter, so he is in a way worse) I doubt anyone of either side will actually ever fix anything, because maintaining the status quot is more effective for everyone playing the game.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2013, 09:41:29 am »
Sylvania the wet blanket.

I agree with you to a point but like I said, "Green Dog Democrats". We need to petition Green Party people to run as Democrats.

Not all Dems are 100% corrupt. Obama has done both evil & good. Even some of our most beloved figures in American History have done horrible things.

I agree that it's sad that the Dems are the lesser evil but perhaps third parties don't go far in this country because the citizens are so stuck on the Republican/Democratic meme for so long that a third-party seems really "fringe-y".

There needs to be a big petition thing to convince the Greens of my "Green Dog" idea. People wont vote Green if it's "Green" but they will if it's labeled "Democratic". Who's with me on this?

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2013, 01:14:03 pm »
You Americans are cute in how you actually still believe you live in a real democracy.
You have two parties who are polar opposites of each other on paper but identical in action. Both of them follow the money and are basically as bad if not worse than your average African dictatorship if the whole Snowden thing is anything to go on.
Third parties are excluded and strong armed out of the running to keep the two headed giant in the game ensuring that only one group actually wins.

No need to be so condescending. And that's a fair bit of exaggeration regarding our government, because while we have our fair share of corruption, just a quick glance at the current state of human rights will distinguish us from African dictatorships.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2013, 01:33:43 pm »
are basically as bad if not worse than your average African dictatorship if the whole Snowden thing is anything to go on.

I don't think you actually know what an African dictatorship is like.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2013, 01:35:48 pm »

No need to be so condescending. And that's a fair bit of exaggeration regarding our government, because while we have our fair share of corruption, just a quick glance at the current state of human rights will distinguish us from African dictatorships.

I agree with Sleepy.  We actually do have democracy.  Well, it's a democratic republic to be exact.

The problem with America is more or less a problem with all democracy.  The person with the most charisma, not the person with the best values, is the one who will win.  For the masses to vote well, they must be educated.  However, a look at high school attitudes show that education is treated as a useless chore rather than the privilege that it actually is.  Not to mention the large amount of anti-intellectualism.

This pretty much allows propaganda to easily affect them.  And while reality has a liberal bias, unfortunately, ignorance has a conservative bias.

Offline Veras

• The Beast
  • I aim to misbehave
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2013, 02:01:56 pm »
Sylvania the wet blanket.

I agree with you to a point but like I said, "Green Dog Democrats". We need to petition Green Party people to run as Democrats.

Not all Dems are 100% corrupt. Obama has done both evil & good. Even some of our most beloved figures in American History have done horrible things.

I agree that it's sad that the Dems are the lesser evil but perhaps third parties don't go far in this country because the citizens are so stuck on the Republican/Democratic meme for so long that a third-party seems really "fringe-y".

There needs to be a big petition thing to convince the Greens of my "Green Dog" idea. People wont vote Green if it's "Green" but they will if it's labeled "Democratic". Who's with me on this?

I don't believe that this plan would work.  For one thing, a more progressive candidate is generally going to be weaker in the general election.  The Republicans would love it if a large number of Greens defeated Democrats in the primaries for the same reason that we love it when Tea Parties knock off establishment Republicans--they're easier to beat.

Second, the Democratic Party as a whole takes the left's votes for granted.  This is why we talk about Ralph Nader and Jill Stein "taking" votes away from the Democrats, as if those votes somehow belonged to them in the first place.  They know that the left will hold their nose and vote Democratic, even if they completely ignore progressive desires.  They can keep drifting to the right, as long as they can fall back on, "Look how bad the Republicans are."

A lot of Green candidates are former Democrats who realized that they were never going to be able to shape the agenda.  Look at Cynthia McKinney, who was a six-term Democratic Congresswoman before being defeated in the primary in 2006 (basically because she was critical of Israel) and being given the Green Party's presidential nod in 2008.

Maybe I'm a cynic, but I don't see any of this changing.  I don't believe that a third party could replace the Democrats, like Labour did to the Liberals in the UK in the 1920s, but I do think that a strong third-party showing could remove some of the complacency from the Democratic party machine.  Of course, there are some serious obstacles in the way even of that, namely the corporate media and the fact that the right is so damn good at setting the terms of the debate.

Either way, to me, the Democratic Party is too far gone for me to fully support.  I'll vote Democrat if (and only if) there is nobody to their left on my ballot, and I won't volunteer for their party.
RIP Tony Benn (1925 - 2014)

"There is no moral difference between a stealth bomber and a suicide bomber. Both kill innocent people for political reasons."

“If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people.”

"I'm not frightened about death. I don't know why, but I just feel that at a certain moment your switch is switched off, and that's it. And you can't do anything about it."