Author Topic: Michigan man "stands his ground"  (Read 2554 times)

wrightway

Michigan man "stands his ground"
« on: January 26, 2014, 07:38:53 pm »
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2014/01/15/22314634-renisha-mcbride-shooting-trial-set-for-june?lite

Attorneys for Wafer argued during a preliminary examination in December before Dearborn Heights Judge David Turfe that the airport maintenance worker who cares for his elderly mother was afraid for his life that morning.

McBride had a blood alcohol level nearly three times the legal limit for driving in Michigan when she died and had crashed a car hours before, according to witnesses who testified for prosecutors at the preliminary examination.

A woman who reported the crash testified, however, that McBride appeared confused and injured, but not combative. Turfe said

http://gawker.com/once-again-a-black-person-is-shot-and-killed-while-loo-1459780870

Michigan's self-defense act, which bears a resemblance to Florida's infamous stand-your-ground law, says that an individual "may use deadly force against another individual anywhere he or she has the legal right to be with no duty to retreat" as long as that person "honestly and reasonably" believes deadly force is necessary to prevent imminent death, great bodily harm, or sexual assault.

So, a young black woman gets into a car accident and knocks on a stranger's door looking for help. The middle aged white guy who opens the door shoots her in the head and then claims self defense. I don't know if I want to know what the hell is wrong with people now.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
Re: Michigan man "stands his ground"
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 07:44:13 pm »
next time they bring up the victiims blood alcohol or whatever bring up the fucking perps record
I noticed Trayvon's pot got more attention then Zimmerman's dubious domestic abuse recrdd

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 09:18:02 pm »
next time they bring up the victiims blood alcohol or whatever bring up the fucking perps record
I noticed Trayvon's pot got more attention then Zimmerman's dubious domestic abuse recrdd

Of course you're also talking about people who decided without any sort of evidence that Martin deserved to die because he was allegedly going to make drugs with the Skittles and iced tea he bought, despite such a claim being both irrelevant and completely absurd.
Who needs a signature?

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 11:57:51 pm »

Of course you're also talking about people who decided without any sort of evidence that Martin deserved to die because he was allegedly going to make drugs with the Skittles and iced tea he bought, despite such a claim being both irrelevant and completely absurd.

My current plan is to shoot everyone coming out of Home Depot with fertilizer and claim self-defense.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 12:15:50 am »
"Stand Your Ground" is starting to look like the "Gay Panic" defence, except for racists.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 12:31:21 am »
"Stand Your Ground" is starting to look like the "Gay Panic" defence, except for racists.

Eh, wasn't that theater shooting against a white guy - or am I remembering incorrectly?  I mean maybe that's an exception and not a rule, but then again I can only think of three examples - this included - where stand your ground has been invoked or discussed.  So unless I'm missing something, I'm not sure how it's necessarily racism.

If anything, I'd think it was more a sign of paranoia/trigger-happy behavior among some of the more unhinged members of the gun owning community.  And yes, I realize that in trying to provide an alternate explanation I'm injecting my own assumptions about motive.  Of course, the alternate explanation doesn't make it any more right,

Also, I had to look up "gay panic defense."  It's just as bizarre as it sounds.
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 01:08:08 am »
To be more clear, it's not necessarily the actual "stand your ground" law so much as the mindset behind it: If you feel the slightest bit threatened, even if the individual isn't brandishing a weapon or attacking you, you're justified in using deadly force against them. There have been a frightening number of cases where unarmed black people -- particularly black men -- were killed (often by police) in the US, yet the courts found that there was sufficient grounds to dismiss or reduce charges based on the shooters claiming the individual "looked suspicious", "looked like a thug", and so on. As individual cases, it's impossible to prove that race is a factor, but once a pattern starts to form... well, if becomes obvious that looking "suspicious" and "like a thug" frequently involves being black.

It may not be intentional on the part of the court or even the shooter (all too often, people make assumptions based on race without being aware that they're doing it), but extremely broad definitions of self-defence make the world a much more dangerous place for minorities, and allow too many bigots to get away with barely a slap on the wrist. Guy just claims that the person made them feel threatened, and presto, no major repercussions -- or, in other words, a subtler version of the gay panic defence, but for bigots of all stripes.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 01:09:47 am by The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist »
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 01:16:12 am »
Fair enough.
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

wrightway

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, 02:13:44 am »
To be more clear, it's not necessarily the actual "stand your ground" law so much as the mindset behind it: If you feel the slightest bit threatened, even if the individual isn't brandishing a weapon or attacking you, you're justified in using deadly force against them. There have been a frightening number of cases where unarmed black people -- particularly black men -- were killed (often by police) in the US, yet the courts found that there was sufficient grounds to dismiss or reduce charges based on the shooters claiming the individual "looked suspicious", "looked like a thug", and so on. As individual cases, it's impossible to prove that race is a factor, but once a pattern starts to form... well, if becomes obvious that looking "suspicious" and "like a thug" frequently involves being black.

Are you talking about the case down in Charleston where the police shot an unarmed black man who had just been in a car accident?

Edit because bright me put the question in the quotes.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 02:18:03 am by Wrightway »

Offline The Illusive Man

• The Beast
  • Saw the ME3 endings, got turned into a husk. :(-
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2014, 02:16:00 am »

It may not be intentional on the part of the court or even the shooter (all too often, people make assumptions based on race without being aware that they're doing it), but extremely broad definitions of self-defence make the world a much more dangerous place for minorities, and allow too many bigots to get away with barely a slap on the wrist. Guy just claims that the person made them feel threatened, and presto, no major repercussions -- or, in other words, a subtler version of the gay panic defence, but for bigots of all stripes.

Bingo! I have seen this crap all too many times. The TL:DR version is a racist belief that black people are inherently violent thus always a threat while white people are passive victims. They usually summarize it as “around blacks never relax”, utter garbage.
Despite knowing about indoctrination I thought it was a good idea to put a human Reaper near my office. Now I am a sentient husk :(.

*RRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRR* *SCREECH* *smokes*

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2014, 03:26:07 am »
Stand your ground, after all, can't be used by African-Americans.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2014, 10:36:18 am »
My boss is especially fearful of blacks; our workplace is in Sanford, just a few miles from where Trayvon Martin was murdered. He's a sixty-something redneck from Alabama, a blue collar worker who eventually came to own a business. He's downright paranoid of black and Hispanic people; he once went on a rant going "You see what kind of things ride their bikes around here at night?" He refuses to let anyone stay in the office after dark because he's legit afraid that a black guy is going to break into the office.

For the record, we did have a break-in about a year ago. Until very recently, he and his wife have been insistent that it was a bunch of black or Hispanic thugs looking for drug money. Guess what? It was a guy stealing the answer sheets to some exams (the office is a crane and forklift operator/inspector certification institute) and selling them to his employees to let them cheat through the tests.

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2014, 02:06:38 pm »
Do any of you happen to have that Skittles and iced tea recipe?
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2014, 02:18:07 pm »
Add any 'scrip cough medicine with codeine. Kids in the eighties just used to chug Robitussin DM by itself. Eww.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2014, 06:39:09 pm »
Yeah, the only active parts of the brew are the prescription drugs you stuff in them. You just add stuff like tea, grape juice, and candy to try and mask the flavor of chugging straight cold medicine.