Author Topic: Woman sentenced to 20+ years for supposedly performing abortion  (Read 12164 times)

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
http://thinkprogress.org/health/2015/03/30/3639736/purvi-patel-sentencing/
Authorities claim woman kills her fetus use outdated and sketchy methods.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 12:58:32 pm by I am lizard »

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
Re: Woman sentenced to 20+ years for supposedly performing abortion
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 01:48:47 pm »
So the lesson here is:

1) Don't have sex.
2) Don't get pregnant.
If you transgressed on 1 and 2 and you were unlucky enough to miscarry, don't go to the ER or you might get arrested and go to prison for 20 years.

This has the makings of a public health crisis like we haven't seen since Roe v. Wade was ruled on.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 01:50:19 pm by Ironchew »
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Online ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 05:16:46 pm »
BUT THERE'S NO WAR ON WOMEN!

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 06:15:56 pm »
Honestly, not surprised. This is Indiana we're talking about. You'd have to go south of the Mason-Dixon Line To find a more back-asswards state than them.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 06:18:50 pm »
Honestly, not surprised. This is Indiana we're talking about. You'd have to go south of the Mason-Dixon Line To find a more back-asswards state than them.

No wonder they have to mooch of Illinois.

Offline Dr. Weird

• Bishop
  • Gentlemen, Behold--Corn!!!
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 06:20:53 pm »

All I can say is that some days, I really hate my state.

This entire week has been one of those times.

In my defense, I sure as fuck didn't vote for Mike Pence.
Fundie Doublethink:
* The Bible is the inerrant, literal word of God when it talks about the Earth being created in six days and homosexuality being an abomination. The Bible is a flawed work interpreted by errant humans when it talks about loving your neighbor, turning the other cheek, and the evils of greed.
*  All life is sacred and precious from the moment of conception until the moment of birth.
* You're not a sexist.  You just think women are nothing but baby machines and servants.

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 06:55:22 pm »

All I can say is that some days, I really hate my state.

This entire week has been one of those times.

In my defense, I sure as fuck didn't vote for Mike Pence.

What part of the state are you from?  I'm from the Chicagoland area (we get all the political ads for Illinois, and almost none for Indiana), and as bad as it can be here, I can't imagine what it must be like everywhere else in the state.  According to my freshman English teacher, the rest of the state doesn't even like people from northwest Indiana that much, and was called a 'region rat' when she went to a state university further south.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2015, 12:33:05 pm »
You know, the majority of the U.S. population are Moderate to Left-Leaning, certainly not Teabagger material. We're winning the Culture War, already......but the majority refuse to vote. The Wingnuts, however, ALWAYS VOTE! If the majority of Americans voted for a change, THERE WOULD BE CHANGE FOR THE BETTER!

But, nooooooooo.....we're all Mr./Ms. Voter Apathy or complaining that the Democratic candidate isn't "Lefty" enough or we don't have the energy to jump the extra hurdles to voting in place....or we're too busy or that we believe that "not voting" will "starve the beast" somehow.

I don't see the "beast" getting "starved". I see the beast grow stronger!

Look, I'm aware of the fraud. I'm aware of the voter ID laws, gerrymandering & other nonsense. I'm aware of corporate money getting into both sides.....but if you think that the GOP & Dems are exactly the same, you're crazy!

Yes, I'm aware that the Dems are mainly Moderate & Conservative while the GOP is Wingnut-Theofascist Nutso. Maybe Green Party folks should switch to Democratic and move the Dems Leftward that way.

Liberals, Moderates & Conservatives need to band together and vote the damned Wingnuts out! It needs to be known that the GOP/Tea Party is not Conservative, it is Wingnut.

If everyone voted, America would be Blue. If everyone voted, U.S. Politics would slowly move Left-Ward. If everyone voted, there would be balance & progress. The Eagle's right wing has gigantism while it's left wing has atrophied. It's body is mostly fine, though. The Eagle needs two healthy wings to work. When there's balance, the worse aspects of both are cancelled out.

Vote, America! *sigh*

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2015, 12:50:20 pm »
You know, the majority of the U.S. population are Moderate to Left-Leaning, certainly not Teabagger material. We're winning the Culture War, already......but the majority refuse to vote. The Wingnuts, however, ALWAYS VOTE! If the majority of Americans voted for a change, THERE WOULD BE CHANGE FOR THE BETTER!

But, nooooooooo.....we're all Mr./Ms. Voter Apathy or complaining that the Democratic candidate isn't "Lefty" enough or we don't have the energy to jump the extra hurdles to voting in place....or we're too busy or that we believe that "not voting" will "starve the beast" somehow.

Look, I'm aware of the fraud. I'm aware of the voter ID laws, gerrymandering & other nonsense. I'm aware of corporate money getting into both sides.....but if you think that the GOP & Dems are exactly the same, you're crazy!

Yes, I'm aware that the Dems are mainly Moderate & Conservative while the GOP is Wingnut-Theofascist Nutso. Maybe Green Party folks should switch to Democratic and move the Dems Leftward that way.

Liberals, Moderates & Conservatives need to band together and vote the damned Wingnuts out! It needs to be known that the GOP/Tea Party is not Conservative, it is Wingnut.

If everyone voted, America would be Blue. If everyone voted, U.S. Politics would slowly move Left-Ward. If everyone voted, there would be balance & progress. The Eagle's right wing has gigantism while it's left wing has atrophied. It's body is mostly fine, though. The Eagle needs two healthy wings to work. When there's balance, the worse aspects of both are cancelled out.

Vote, America! *sigh*

In my opinion, the real problem is with the wingnuts.  On both sides.  One thing not a lot of people realize is that Occupy Wall Street failed partly because it was hijacked by radflakes.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2015, 01:31:42 pm »

Vote, America! *sigh*

In my opinion, the real problem is with the wingnuts.  On both sides.  One thing not a lot of people realize is that Occupy Wall Street failed partly because it was hijacked by radflakes.

Agreed. Moonbats & Wingnuts stifle everything! (Wingnuts are Hard-Right. Moonbats are Hard-Left). Although I'm sympathetic to the Hippies & New-Left of the 60s-70s (and see myself as a sort of 'NeoFlowerchild'), even I think that many of them were nutty. I've always been of the pragmatic philosophy of "Radical Change Via Moderate Means". Over-The-Top-Militant anything only hinders. You also need to appeal to as many as possible, even the "squares". We're all in this together!

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2015, 02:49:49 pm »

Vote, America! *sigh*

That's a massive False equivalency. Left wing extremist in America wear Che Guevara t shirts and complain about "the system" (even the NBP just wave guns around and harasses people).

Right wing extremists deny people basic healthcare and suppress voters.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2015, 02:55:51 pm »

Vote, America! *sigh*

That's a massive False equivalency. Left wing extremist in America wear Che Guevara t shirts and complain about "the system" (even the NBP just wave guns around and harasses people).

Right wing extremists deny people basic healthcare and suppress voters.

Oh, the American far-left is still very harmful, just more subtle about it.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 02:58:32 pm by Ultimate Paragon »

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2015, 03:02:12 pm »
Could you give any actuall examples of this?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 03:08:07 pm by I am lizard »

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2015, 03:09:02 pm »

Their attempts to hijack academia, for one.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2015, 03:28:01 pm »

Their attempts to hijack academia, for one.
Less vague, please.