Author Topic: Good Things People Say on the Internet  (Read 111646 times)

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
Re: Good Things People Say on the Internet
« Reply #240 on: January 14, 2016, 05:09:14 pm »
If God came to me and demanded I kill my son i'd tell him to fuck off back to tumblr.

This was more or less the answer I was hoping you would give UP? I understand it's a big question but I would hope that ultimately you would refuse, or at least be sure you weren't delusional.

Even Then

« Reply #241 on: January 20, 2016, 08:33:51 am »

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #242 on: January 21, 2016, 02:40:18 am »
That actually makes a good point of showing why swearing during debate is counter productive.

It is unnecessary, it makes the person look immature, it distracts from the point they are trying to make.

And here's the thing, debate is not JUST about who is correct. Debate is an intercourse where you try to convince the other side of the debate believe that you are correct.

If you see someone claim that 1+1=3 and know that it is actually 2 then you are correct whether or not you start a debate with him. But if your argument is "Motherfucker ass cracker! It's bloody 2 you cocksucking abortion!" you are less likely to win them over.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
« Reply #243 on: January 25, 2016, 01:30:04 am »
"I tell it like it is" has become a stand in for "I'm a racist who's lost his mind" over the last year or so.

-- Jim Sterling

Offline Delirium

• Bishop
  • "i choose my own way to burn." - sophie scholl
« Reply #244 on: January 26, 2016, 12:37:28 am »
About the tone thing:

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #245 on: January 26, 2016, 12:39:46 am »
Except that is very much something you should get pissed about.
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #246 on: January 26, 2016, 02:45:51 am »
Except that getting pissed still doesn't help if you are trying to have a civil debate.

Not that anyone has the right to force others to debate them in civil manner. Which is another important thing to remember.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #247 on: January 26, 2016, 09:46:56 am »

That's rather the point. Trying to be civil is useful, but you can't substitute tone for substance to determine who is right, because people can and do get angry about legitimate things.
Σא

Offline Svata

• The Beast
« Reply #248 on: January 26, 2016, 09:58:49 am »

That's rather the point. Trying to be civil is useful, but you can't substitute tone for substance to determine who is right, because people can and do get angry about legitimate things.

Ah. I took it to be attempting to say the opposite. That a disgusting opinion presented in a polite way is more likeable than a good opinion presented in an angry way.

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
« Reply #249 on: January 26, 2016, 11:02:48 am »
A banker, an asylum seeker, and a Daily Mail reader are all sitting down having morning coffee when a tray with 10 biscuits is brought over. The banker takes 9 of the biscuits and then tells the Daily Mail reader "Watch out for that asylum seeker. He's going to try and take your biscuit away."

Offline LeTipex

• Bishop
  • I'm right, because I accept that I can be wrong.
« Reply #250 on: January 26, 2016, 02:12:02 pm »
A banker, an asylum seeker, and a Daily Mail reader are all sitting down having morning coffee when a tray with 10 biscuits is brought over. The banker takes 9 of the biscuits and then tells the Daily Mail reader "Watch out for that asylum seeker. He's going to try and take your biscuit away."
It's funny because it's true!

Even Then

« Reply #251 on: January 31, 2016, 09:48:39 pm »
Quote from: tumblr user luchagcaileag
Even positive traits can be toxic if they’re made mandatory. A non-toxic masculinity would have to be one that men are free not to buy into without consequence.

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #252 on: February 02, 2016, 08:07:44 am »
Yeah. Pantera made awesome music but it's hard to enjoy it with Anselmo being an openly racist douchebag. He - and people who excuse him - need to be called out like this.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCBKzWg4WYo" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCBKzWg4WYo</a>

Offline Svata

• The Beast
« Reply #253 on: February 02, 2016, 08:34:29 am »
I fucked up and read the comments. Why did I read the comments.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #254 on: February 02, 2016, 08:52:26 am »
Ha Ha!

*goes to read the comments*