Author Topic: Mr. Trump Goes to Washington  (Read 387576 times)

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
Re: Mr. Trump Goes to Washington
« Reply #2700 on: December 13, 2018, 05:02:12 pm »
https://splinternews.com/5-house-democrats-join-paul-ryan-to-vote-for-more-yemen-1831054719

Rep. Ro Khanna had introduced an amendment to a farm bill in the US House of Representatives to the same effect as the one the Senate previously voted to discharge from committee, that effort led by Sens. Bernie Sanders and Mike Lee: to end the US support for Saudi Arabia's genocide in Yemen.

However, another amendment was introduced to that bill that prevented a vote on Rep. Khanna's amendment. Some Republicans on the committee responsible were incensed by this, and were prepared to vote down that amendment, so that Rep. Khanna's could itself be voted on... but five Democratic Representatives voted for the amendment to kill Rep. Khanna's.

Rep. Jim Costa (CA-16)
Rep. Al Lawson (FL-5)
Rep. Collin Peterson (MN-7)
Rep. Dutch Ruppersberger (MD-2)
Rep. David Scott (GA-13)

When Lindsey Graham has, in this matter, less blood on his hands than any Democrat... something's fucked up.

EDIT: A correction: I believe it was a floor vote on the amendment (or the bill itself, with that provision inserted), not a committee vote (and have struck out the appropriate clause above). Either way, it blocks a floor vote on a resolution to stop the US support for Saudi Arabia's genocide in Yemen.

I believe it is this vote: http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2018/roll432.xml

On this bill: https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-resolution/1176

Meanwhile, 18 Republican Representatives voted against: Reps. Amash, Biggs, Blum, Brat, Cloud, Gaetz, Garrett, Gohmert, Gosar, Graves (LA), Jordan, Labrador, Massie, Meadows, Perry, Posey, Sanford, and Schweikert.

(Twenty-four didn't vote, seventeen Republicans and seven Democrats.)

EDIT #2: Meanwhile, the US Senate did move forward on this matter.

The initial motion to discharge: https://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=115&session=2&vote=00250

Agreed to 63-37; voting for were every Democratic and Independent Senator, along with Republican Sens. Alexander, Cassidy, Collins, Corker, Daines, Flake, Graham, Lee, Moran, Murkowski, Paul, Portman, Toomey, and Young.

The motion to proceed: https://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=115&session=2&vote=00261

Agreed to 60-39; voting for were every Democratic and Independent Senator, along with Republican Sens. Cassidy, Collins, Crapo, Daines, Flake, Lee, Moran, Murkowski, Paul, Risch, and Young. (Sen. Tillis did not vote.)

An amendment to clarify that the resolution would prevent the US Armed Forces from refueling non-US aircraft conducting missions in Yemen: https://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=115&session=2&vote=00263

Agreed to 58-41; voting for were every Democratic and Independent Senator, along with Republican Sens. Alexander, Cassidy, Collins, Corker, Lee, Moran, Murkowski, Paul, and Young. (Sen. Tillis did not vote.)

An amendment to clarify that the US Armed Forces could continue to act against Houthi forces engaged in operations against targets outside Yemen: https://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=115&session=2&vote=00265

Rejected 45-54: voting against were every Democratic and Independent Senator, along with Republican Sens. Daines, Lee, Moran, Paul, and Young. (Sen. Tillis did not vote.)

On S.J. Res. 54 itself, as amended: https://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=115&session=2&vote=00266

Passed 56-41: voting for were every Democratic and Independent Senator, along with Republican Sens. Collins, Daines, Flake, Lee, Moran, Paul, and Young. (Sens. Graham, Heller, and Tillis did not vote.)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 07:18:14 pm by dpareja »
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #2701 on: December 19, 2018, 10:52:59 am »
https://www.ajc.com/news/crime--law/ban-bump-stocks-georgians-divided-trump-ruling/6NHUyYP7gJktlmTI1GR8PO/

Trump actually did something he had promised. He has now banned bump stocks.

...Utterly silly devices that only exist because getting fully automatic guns in USA is costly (though not impossible) and some people still want to play around with really rapid and inaccurate fire, but not pay for a more expensive gun.

I'm amused by how the person quoted in the article complains that bump stocks are just an accessory that "doesn't change the function of the firearm" when that exactly is the point of bump stocks. Change the way the gun shoots into what is functionally fully automatic even if the internal parts of the gun are the same.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #2702 on: December 19, 2018, 04:38:36 pm »
He's also caved on the border wall.

Ironbite-and the noose is tightening as well.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #2703 on: December 19, 2018, 04:40:19 pm »
And if you call the number in his new ad to tell him "thank you", it actually just asks you to give the campaign money.
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #2704 on: December 19, 2018, 04:44:40 pm »
Meanwhile Trump supporters are getting banned from "The Donald" subreddit for not liking this (because it's a cult) and elsewhere Trump supporters are blaming this on the Democrats.

Because facts don't matter as long as you put all the blame on the designated "enemy."
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #2705 on: December 19, 2018, 05:34:54 pm »
Fox and Friends went on a lengthy rant about how much of a disgrace it is for Trump to cave about this.

Ironbite-I wonder if someone's feeding Faux Noise lines.

Offline DarkPhoenix

• Bishop
« Reply #2706 on: December 22, 2018, 01:53:39 am »
Fox and Friends went on a lengthy rant about how much of a disgrace it is for Trump to cave about this.

Ironbite-I wonder if someone's feeding Faux Noise lines.

He un-caved today, after the Freedom Caucas of maniacs convinced him that he could ram the Wall funding through by screaming at the top of his lungs and blaming Democrats.

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #2707 on: December 22, 2018, 03:32:09 am »
Remember it's the Democrats fault because Trump said he was  happy to shut down the government to get funding for his stuffs wall. The wall that Mexico was going to pay for.
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline Dr. Weird

• Bishop
  • Gentlemen, Behold--Corn!!!
« Reply #2708 on: December 22, 2018, 10:50:34 am »
If the Republican-majority House and the Republican-majority Senate cannot pass a bill to be signed by the Republican President in time, the shutdown of the government will be the Democrats' fault.

The right-wing mindset, folks. ::)
Fundie Doublethink:
* The Bible is the inerrant, literal word of God when it talks about the Earth being created in six days and homosexuality being an abomination. The Bible is a flawed work interpreted by errant humans when it talks about loving your neighbor, turning the other cheek, and the evils of greed.
*  All life is sacred and precious from the moment of conception until the moment of birth.
* You're not a sexist.  You just think women are nothing but baby machines and servants.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #2709 on: December 22, 2018, 01:18:09 pm »
In fairness, there's not (yet) the stomach among Republican Senators to kill the legislative filibuster, and they've already used their shots at reconciliation to fail to kill the ACA and to succeed in giving rich people gigantic tax breaks.

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #2710 on: December 22, 2018, 04:15:20 pm »
If they kill the filibuster for this, they have nothing left.

Ironbite-and McConnel will not nuke that rule cause it's the only thing he's got to check the Democrats in 2020.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #2711 on: December 22, 2018, 05:11:55 pm »
If they kill the filibuster for this, they have nothing left.

Ironbite-and McConnel will not nuke that rule cause it's the only thing he's got to check the Democrats in 2020.

That assumes the Democrats retake the Senate in 2020, which I don't see as a given at all. (Nor do I take it as given that they won't.)

Right now he has what he wants, which is a Senate majority strong enough that he can afford to let Susan Collins (and Lisa Murkowski, if needed) vote against judicial nominees and still put wingnuts on the bench, including replacing Justice Ginsburg should she pass away some time in the next two years.

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #2712 on: December 23, 2018, 12:53:28 am »
Is the wall really so important for the Republicans that they would sacrifice a long term advantage for it? To me it sounds more like Trump's vanity project that is mostly useful for the party to rile up the base and give smoke curtain to whatever else they want to do. Trump himself would do it in a heartbeat but McConnell has to think more tactically. Sure, there is more than enough racist sentiment to make sure there are less brown people entering the country but the unrealistic nature of Trump's wall plan must get through to all but the most thick headed party members.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #2713 on: December 23, 2018, 01:55:06 am »
Is the wall really so important for the Republicans that they would sacrifice a long term advantage for it? To me it sounds more like Trump's vanity project that is mostly useful for the party to rile up the base and give smoke curtain to whatever else they want to do. Trump himself would do it in a heartbeat but McConnell has to think more tactically. Sure, there is more than enough racist sentiment to make sure there are less brown people entering the country but the unrealistic nature of Trump's wall plan must get through to all but the most thick headed party members.

Sure... but consider what percentage those "thick headed party members" make up of the people who vote in Republican Congressional primaries. You'll notice that the Republican Representatives and Senators most critical of Trump either didn't run again (Corker, Flake) or got knocked out in a primary (Sanford)--never mind that they still voted with him plenty often.

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #2714 on: December 23, 2018, 03:42:48 am »

Sure... but consider what percentage those "thick headed party members" make up of the people who vote in Republican Congressional primaries. You'll notice that the Republican Representatives and Senators most critical of Trump either didn't run again (Corker, Flake) or got knocked out in a primary (Sanford)--never mind that they still voted with him plenty often.
I meant the politicians, not the base. They can just not kill the filibuster and still keep their base enraged about how the Dems hate America and stand in the way of building the big and beautiful wall every true American wants. If you can get Trump to direct his Twitter tantrums more towards the Democrats - which shouldn't be too difficult since he is easy to manipulate - the base will follow.