Author Topic: Why Christianity is the one true religion  (Read 11886 times)

Offline Jacob Harrison

• The Beast
  • The person who discovered England's true monarch
Re: Why Christianity is the one true religion
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2018, 10:43:46 am »
Yeah, that was just the usual "Jesus was a peaceful bro but Mo was a bad dude" bollocks, Jesus said ""Don't imagine that I came to bring peace to the earth! I came not to bring peace, but a sword." So they were both a little sword happy, Mo just got more swords on his shit.

As for all that crap about Allah being a moon deity, Yahweh had a wife called Asherah so wasn't any more monotheistic or less pagan than Allah. Anyway I'm saying this to a Catholic, you guys have more weird little gods than the Hindus. You just call them saints.

I'm an atheist. I don't care what imaginary flim flam you bring to the table, it's all the same to me!

The difference is that Jesus was saying that there would be Christians would be persecuted so Christians would have to fight in self defense. Islam preaches offensive warfare which they call jihad. The Apostles were not violent, they travelled throughout the Empire preaching their faith. So since Christianity spread peacefully, how did Christianity gain so many followers in such a short period of time.

And where did you get the bullshit that Yahweh had a wife?

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2018, 05:19:14 pm »
Mere man can’t get tons of people within a short period of time to convert to a religion that believes that actually believe that they are the messiah and son of God.

Right. Except for Henry James Prince, Krishna Venta, Ahn Sahng-hong, Jim Jones, Yahweh ben Yahweh, Wayne Bent, Tony Quinn, Shoko Asahara, Marina Tsvigun, Sergey Anatolyevitch Torop, Alan John Miller...

I could go on, but you get the idea.
Σא

Offline Jacob Harrison

• The Beast
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2018, 05:30:51 pm »
Mere man can’t get tons of people within a short period of time to convert to a religion that believes that actually believe that they are the messiah and son of God.

Right. Except for Henry James Prince, Krishna Venta, Ahn Sahng-hong, Jim Jones, Yahweh ben Yahweh, Wayne Bent, Tony Quinn, Shoko Asahara, Marina Tsvigun, Sergey Anatolyevitch Torop, Alan John Miller...

They didn’t get nearly as many converts as Christianity did in such a short period of time.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2018, 05:33:16 pm »
Yeah, that was just the usual "Jesus was a peaceful bro but Mo was a bad dude" bollocks, Jesus said ""Don't imagine that I came to bring peace to the earth! I came not to bring peace, but a sword." So they were both a little sword happy, Mo just got more swords on his shit.

As for all that crap about Allah being a moon deity, Yahweh had a wife called Asherah so wasn't any more monotheistic or less pagan than Allah. Anyway I'm saying this to a Catholic, you guys have more weird little gods than the Hindus. You just call them saints.

I'm an atheist. I don't care what imaginary flim flam you bring to the table, it's all the same to me!

The difference is that Jesus was saying that there would be Christians would be persecuted so Christians would have to fight in self defense. Islam preaches offensive warfare which they call jihad. The Apostles were not violent, they travelled throughout the Empire preaching their faith. So since Christianity spread peacefully, how did Christianity gain so many followers in such a short period of time.

Jihad, Crusade tomato tomato and Yahweh was just another iron-age mountain dwelling godlet who of course had a wife because he was based on human kings, same as Zues and Odin. Tomato, tomato.

They didn’t get nearly as many converts as Christianity did in such a short period of time.
Islam did! Too bad, so sad.

Offline Jacob Harrison

• The Beast
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2018, 05:47:11 pm »

Jihad, Crusade tomato tomato and Yahweh was just another iron-age mountain dwelling godlet who of course had a wife because he was based on human kings, same as Zues and Odin. Tomato, tomato.

Islam did! Too bad, so sad.

1. It says that Aserah was the wife of the Canaanite god El not Yahweh.

“El, "the kind, the compassionate," "the creator of creatures," was the chief of the Canaanite gods,[31] and he, not Yahweh, was the original "God of Israel"—the word "Israel" is based on the name El rather than Yahweh.[32] He lived in a tent on a mountain from whose base originated all the fresh waters of the world, with the goddess Asherah as his consort.”

As the prophet Jacob lived in Canaan, it is likely that his later name Israel(who the Israelites were descended from) would have a name similar to the name El.

2. As I said, Islam gained converts through jihad, massacres, and forced conversions. How could Christianity gain so many followers if it did not spread by the sword like Islam did?

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2018, 06:12:49 pm »

Oh, do tell. What was the growth rate of Christianity during its early years? How long did it take to reach a thousand, ten thousand, a million converts?

Σא

Offline Jacob Harrison

• The Beast
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2018, 06:36:33 pm »

Oh, do tell. What was the growth rate of Christianity during its early years? How long did it take to reach a thousand, ten thousand, a million converts?

Well by 67 AD(37 years after Jesus’s crucifixion) there were Christians in Rome who were persecuted under the tyrant Nero. So in 37 years, a religion from Judea was already spreading throughout the Roman Empire.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2018, 06:40:13 pm »
The evidence is that Christianity didn't spread more quickly than most religions. Mormonism for instance spread much more quickly than Christianity.

And if simply dying for the belief makes it true, I guess all those people at Jonestown were right.

Well the false religion of Mormonism spread because the cult leader Joseph Smith spread the belief that he received a revelation from God. But the difference between the spread of Mormonism and the spread of Christianity is that Christianity got a much higher quantity of believers in a short period of time. Mormons today are mostly in Utah.

How did Christianity gain so many believers in a short period of time, if Jesus was just a mere man. If he was a mere man and did not perform miracles and risen from the dead, how were there Christians in Rome by 67 AD that believed he was the messiah? That is about 37 years after his death in 30 AD(it would have to be 30 AD because died at around age 33 1/2 and he was born when King Herod who died in 4 BC was still alive.

Except that's not true, Mormonism got more believers in a shorter period of time http://commonsenseatheism.com/?p=95

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2018, 06:50:59 pm »

Well by 67 AD(37 years after Jesus’s crucifixion) there were Christians in Rome who were persecuted under the tyrant Nero. So in 37 years, a religion from Judea was already spreading throughout the Roman Empire.

I note a distinct lack of numbers! Almost as if you have actually no idea how fast Christianity grew.

By the way, in 36 years the World Mission Society Church of God had 400,000 members and churches in Asia, Europe, and North America, at least.

Do you believe  Ahn Sahng-hong is actually the Messiah? No? Then how could a mere man convince so many people so quickly?

Turns out convincing lots of people you're God or the Messiah or a prophet or whatever else is not that special. People have been doing it since forever, with varying success.
Σא

Offline Jacob Harrison

• The Beast
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2018, 07:31:41 pm »
The evidence is that Christianity didn't spread more quickly than most religions. Mormonism for instance spread much more quickly than Christianity.

And if simply dying for the belief makes it true, I guess all those people at Jonestown were right.

Well the false religion of Mormonism spread because the cult leader Joseph Smith spread the belief that he received a revelation from God. But the difference between the spread of Mormonism and the spread of Christianity is that Christianity got a much higher quantity of believers in a short period of time. Mormons today are mostly in Utah.

How did Christianity gain so many believers in a short period of time, if Jesus was just a mere man. If he was a mere man and did not perform miracles and risen from the dead, how were there Christians in Rome by 67 AD that believed he was the messiah? That is about 37 years after his death in 30 AD(it would have to be 30 AD because died at around age 33 1/2 and he was born when King Herod who died in 4 BC was still alive.

Except that's not true, Mormonism got more believers in a shorter period of time http://commonsenseatheism.com/?p=95

That article fails to address that throughout several periods of early Christian history, Christians were persecuted by the Romans which hindered it’s growth. And the chart says that there were only 1,960 Christians by 60 AD. If that was the case, then how were there so many Christians in Rome in 67 AD as the Roman Empire was so vast? That implies that Christianity grew a lot faster then the chart says it did in it’s early years

Offline Jacob Harrison

• The Beast
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2018, 07:35:05 pm »

I note a distinct lack of numbers! Almost as if you have actually no idea how fast Christianity grew.

By the way, in 36 years the World Mission Society Church of God had 400,000 members and churches in Asia, Europe, and North America, at least.

Do you believe  Ahn Sahng-hong is actually the Messiah? No? Then how could a mere man convince so many people so quickly?

Turns out convincing lots of people you're God or the Messiah or a prophet or whatever else is not that special. People have been doing it since forever, with varying success.

Failing to acknowledge that information spreads more quickly in modern times than during the Roman Empire. So it is much easier to get converts to a new religion today.

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2018, 08:15:07 pm »
Random side note, the translation of jihad from Arabic into English is not "holy war". It is "struggle", and non-crazy Muslims (i.e. the vast majority) interpret that struggle as a personal struggle against sin, not a holy war against infidels. The more you know.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2018, 08:43:54 pm »
Yeah and if you look up Asherah you'll see she was queen consort of Yahweh, wife in other words. The same article you find so problematic also says Yahweh inherited all of Els traits because, wait for it, they're both characters in made up narratives. It's a bit like how Superman took on traits as the series gree or DC and Marvel keep poaching ideas fron each other for their characters.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2018, 09:31:06 pm »
Failing to acknowledge that information spreads more quickly in modern times than during the Roman Empire. So it is much easier to get converts to a new religion today.

And I'm sure you have a precise model of how much faster religions grow nowadays compared to the first century CE and have used this to show that accounting for this advantage all the cults I mentioned before grow slower than Christianity would have with mass media

No, of course not. You don't know how fast Christianity grew. You do not get to declare that evidence of divine intervention if you do not actually check how mundane, non-divinely assisted religions grow. It's perfectly humanly possible to convince a bunch of people of some absolute nonsense.

The rest of your argument is just picking a reference class of one.
Σא

Offline Jacob Harrison

• The Beast
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2018, 09:46:35 pm »
Yeah and if you look up Asherah you'll see she was queen consort of Yahweh, wife in other words. The same article you find so problematic also says Yahweh inherited all of Els traits because, wait for it, they're both characters in made up narratives. It's a bit like how Superman took on traits as the series gree or DC and Marvel keep poaching ideas fron each other for their characters.

Well when the Isrealites were sinning against God, before they were punished with exile, they were worshipping idols, so that would include adding false gods and goddesses from the Canaanite gods and goddesses to their religion making it polytheistic.

And no it does not say that Yahweh was based on the Canaanite El, it says that El was the Canaanite god at the time when “Israel emerges into the historical record in the last decades of the 13th century BCE, at the very end of the Late Bronze Age when the Canaanite city-state system was ending” meaning that when the Israelites defeated and killed the wicked Canaanites and established the nation of Israel. El was an ancient term for God, so the Israelites worshiped the true El, Yahweh.