Author Topic: Nevada Approves Road Rules For Google's Driverless Cars  (Read 1885 times)

Offline CaseAgainstFaith

• Pope
  • Smartass with a Dunce Hat
Nevada Approves Road Rules For Google's Driverless Cars
« on: February 17, 2012, 12:32:31 pm »
State officials collaborated with Google, car manufacturers, insurance comapnies, and law enforcement is drawing up the rules.

"Nevada is the first state to embrace what is surely the future of automobiles. These regulations establish requirements companies must meet to test their vehicles on Nevada's public roadways as well as requirements for residents to legally operate them in the future," said DMV director Bruce Breslow.

The news comes after Google saying its cars have already been covered 160,000 miles on public roads without incident.

source - http://www.businessinsider.com/nevada-approves-road-rules-for-googles-driverless-cars-2012-2?utm_source=Triggermail&utm_medium=email&utm_term=10%20Things%20In%20Tech%20You%20Need%20To%20Know&utm_campaign=Post%20Blast%20%28sai%29%3A%2010%20Things%20You%20Need%20To%20Know%20This%20Morning

Always been my dream to let the car do the driving for me while I could play video games or watch tv while in the "drivers seat" Would make long car rides/vacations a joy for everyone.
Reasoning with a fundie is like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it is victorious - Anonymous
Let us drink like dwarves; Smoke like wizards and party like hobbits!

Offline Yla

• The Beast
Re: Nevada Approves Road Rules For Google's Driverless Cars
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 01:25:24 pm »
*nerdgasm*
That said, I've stopped trying to anticipate what people around here want a while ago, I've found it makes things smoother.
For I was an hungred, and ye told me to pull myself up by my bootstraps: I was thirsty, and ye demanded payment for the privilege of thine urine: I was a stranger, and ye deported me: naked, and ye arrested me for indecency.

Offline Ranger_Joe

• Pope
  • The Stranger With Candy
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 01:27:32 pm »
All it takes is one hacker to fuck up EVERYTHING or one little glitch to cause an 8,000 car pile up..
Rangers Lead The Way..All The Way!

I would give a fuck, but I gave my last one to your mother last night.

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 03:35:50 pm »
Well, then, there'd better be a manual override in those cars in case something like that does happen.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 03:47:50 pm »
In Florida most of the cars are driverless now. 
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline clockworkgirl21

• Day In, Day Out. All the Time. Work, Work, Work
  • The Beast
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 03:48:38 pm »
I could have used one of those cars in high school. Get an extra 10 minutes of sleep.

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
  • Little Lesbian Gaming Goddess
    • A Mayor's Tale - The daily trials of an Animal Crossing Mayor
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 04:05:14 pm »
I can certainly see these kinds of systems becoming standard. The improved efficiency of every car knowing exactly what every other car on the road will be doing will cut transit times and fuel costs substantially, not to mention drastically reduce accidents. Just imagine if every car in the country drove itself automatically based on the route-determining software of UPS? That one company saves millions of gallons a fuel every year. Extend that savings to every car around, and people get where they're going faster, cheaper, safer, and with far less environmental impact.

Offline Ranger_Joe

• Pope
  • The Stranger With Candy
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 04:11:54 pm »
I think the entire idea is terrible. People ::already:: have problems paying attention when they are driving. The last thing we need to do is have it so that the driver is just sitting there. In the event a problem arises, I don't really trust the reaction times of your average driver.

This just sounds like a bad idea to me, honestly.
Rangers Lead The Way..All The Way!

I would give a fuck, but I gave my last one to your mother last night.

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
  • Little Lesbian Gaming Goddess
    • A Mayor's Tale - The daily trials of an Animal Crossing Mayor
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 04:18:17 pm »
I think the entire idea is terrible. People ::already:: have problems paying attention when they are driving. The last thing we need to do is have it so that the driver is just sitting there. In the event a problem arises, I don't really trust the reaction times of your average driver.

This just sounds like a bad idea to me, honestly.

Baby steps. Systems like this are the future, and it has to start somewhere. And I think it's a good sign that the state government is working with so many different agencies to make sure the regulations on the cars are properly handled.

The big issue is, people aren't going to buy a product that regularly gets them straight up killed. If the cars don't prove safe enough, they simply won't sell even if they ARE approved.

Offline VirtualStranger

• Blinded with Science
  • The Beast
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 11:09:58 pm »
All it takes is one hacker to fuck up EVERYTHING or one little glitch to cause an 8,000 car pile up..

Hacker? Why would a car be connected to an external network in the first place? Hacking a car without direct access to its internals would be about as feasible as hacking your neighbor's toaster.

Computer networks don't work that way.