Author Topic: Worst Political Cartoons  (Read 1629560 times)

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
Re: Worst Political Cartoons
« Reply #1245 on: June 08, 2012, 01:20:16 am »
Some do.  Like United Negro College Fund, National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, Black Entertainment Television.  That's all that comes immediately to mind, though.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #1246 on: June 08, 2012, 01:39:24 am »
Idris Elba, one of my favourite actors, noted that Inception has not even one black actor.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Kit Walker

• Pope
  • Grand Master Brain Wizard*
« Reply #1247 on: June 08, 2012, 09:48:35 am »
Some do.  Like United Negro College Fund, National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, Black Entertainment Television.  That's all that comes immediately to mind, though.

For the dating site mentioned, there's Black People Meet.com, and for magzines there's Ebony and Jet. The latter of which was originally billed as "The Weekly Negro News Magazine", according to Wikipedia.
"Well believe me, Mike, I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway." - Crow T. Robot

*Actual title from the Universal Life Church Monastery, the outfit that ordained me as a wedding officiant.

Offline Sixth Monarchist

• God
  • The spirit of 1776.
« Reply #1248 on: June 09, 2012, 07:22:32 am »
Idris Elba, one of my favourite actors, noted that Inception has not even one black actor.

You mean black main character. There were plenty of extras in the Mombasa scenes. Also, when you consider Saito and Yusuf, the core cast (i.e. the team doing the eponymous inception) is 67% white (71% counting Fischer), which is roughly accurate for modern America. The real problem with Inception lies in its 83%/86% male cast (I can't recall seeing any Kenyan women in the film), along with Nolan's possible issues with fridge-stuffing.

Christopher Nolan is (largely) fine when it comes to race relations, as opposed to George Lucas (the Star Wars prequels) and Michael Bay (pretty much everything). But of course, these are shit films for so many other reasons.
Marvel reviews, "Last Movie You Watched", p. 75-76.

Offline sandman

• The Eternal
  • The Beast
  • We Have Such Sights To Show You.
« Reply #1249 on: June 09, 2012, 09:48:31 am »

My family has not one black member. I guess that makes us racist, too.
"In case you're interested, there's still some positions available for that bonus opportunity I mentioned earlier. Again: all you gotta do is let
us disassemble you. We're not banging rocks together here. We know how to put a man back together. So that's a complete reassembly. New vitals. Spit-shine on the old ones. Plus we're scooping out tumors. Frankly, you oughtta be paying us." -Cave Johnson

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #1250 on: June 09, 2012, 09:51:24 am »

Do you choose the composition of your family?
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline sandman

• The Eternal
  • The Beast
  • We Have Such Sights To Show You.
« Reply #1251 on: June 09, 2012, 10:35:27 am »

Do you choose the composition of your family?

Absolutely. Every single person chose freely who to marry, and so far every single person has chosen to marry either white European or mixed-Hispanic partners. Bear in mind that not a single person made their decision to marry or not marry someone based on their race, but that doesn't change the fact that we're all white (with a sprinkling of light-brown in my Uncle Sean's line).

"Inception" had no black actors in major roles because none of the major characters were black. This happens, especially in Hollywood films where the stories are set primarily in the United States, which (according to the 2010 census) is 72% white and only 12% black. I find it far more invasive when a film insists on inserting a token black character just so they can have one.

(And never mind the fact that the old cliche of the one black guy in a movie getting killed first just happens to be true a Hell of a lot of the time. For examples see "Heat," "Red," "Aliens," "Mindhunters," "The Island," "Halloween: Resurrection," "Full Metal Jacket," "Gremlins," "Night of the Demons," "Stargate," "Star Trek II," "Resident Evil, Extinction," "Virus," "The Edge," "The Crow," "Queen of the Damned," "Alien Nation," "Red Dawn," "Hulk," "Hollow Man," "The Langoliers," "American Psycho," "Fantastic Four 2," "Wing Commander," "Stealth," "Dungeons & Dragons," (ow. It hurt to even acknowledge that film exists) "Christine," "Super 8," "X-Men First Class," "Aliens v. Predator: Requiem," and many, many, many more.)
"In case you're interested, there's still some positions available for that bonus opportunity I mentioned earlier. Again: all you gotta do is let
us disassemble you. We're not banging rocks together here. We know how to put a man back together. So that's a complete reassembly. New vitals. Spit-shine on the old ones. Plus we're scooping out tumors. Frankly, you oughtta be paying us." -Cave Johnson

Offline Diamandahagan

• Apprentice
« Reply #1252 on: June 09, 2012, 12:42:53 pm »
"Virus,"

virus starring jamie lee curtis? the first dead main character in that was cuban. the black guy in virus survived til the end (when he provided the 2 white leads who had fallen in love for some reason with an escape pod and died... which is almost worse)

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #1253 on: June 09, 2012, 12:59:37 pm »
I think they lampshaded that in Alienators when a black guy was asked to go out alone and he replies the black dude dies first

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #1254 on: June 09, 2012, 04:05:53 pm »
I thought that the drill Sargent was the first one to die in Full Metal Jacket. It's kind of appropriate since he was a very enlightened and egalitarian character "There is no racial bigotry here. I do not look down on niggers, kikes, wops or greasers. Here you are all equally worthless."

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #1255 on: June 10, 2012, 01:07:15 pm »

I'm almost certain that this is satire...
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
« Reply #1256 on: June 10, 2012, 01:45:33 pm »
Or really racist. Note how all the flags under "Earth" are primarily African/Mideast nations, while "Mars" is European/American.
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Offline booley

• Pope
  • Grand High Viceroy of the Eastern Expanses
« Reply #1257 on: June 10, 2012, 02:25:17 pm »

You're family may work differently.

How many of your family members did you audition before you hired them to be blood kin?

yes I know, you're family chooses who to marry (assuming they aren't gay).

However are they choosing someone they think is compatible and want to spend the rest of their life from the pool of those they generally have contact with?

.. Or to fill a short lived role which is a simulcrum of reality, advertised to the general public?

It seems the problem here is marriage and movies have very different criteria.  A direct analogy may not work.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 02:32:42 pm by booley »
“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”
The Doctor

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #1258 on: June 10, 2012, 02:26:49 pm »
Or really racist. Note how all the flags under "Earth" are primarily African/Mideast nations, while "Mars" is European/American.

That was my thought, too.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline booley

• Pope
  • Grand High Viceroy of the Eastern Expanses
« Reply #1259 on: June 10, 2012, 02:36:50 pm »

and I have a friend who also had multiple abortions and her kid that came after was physically just fine.

So anecdote fail.
“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”
The Doctor