Author Topic: TV Shows  (Read 139754 times)

Art Vandelay

Re: TV Shows
« Reply #540 on: October 18, 2015, 07:07:43 am »
Nothing wrong with watching anime at any age (provided you don't go full or even part weeaboo). I say watch a few episodes and see if it grabs your interest.

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #541 on: October 18, 2015, 07:36:27 am »
dongy, go ahead. it's a very well-written anime. very adult feel, with some philosophical implications mixed in with a really cool space-opera world and a film noir ambiance. definitely my favorite anime.

also, it's 25 episodes and a movie, so it's really short seeing the splash it made. it gets real good after the 10 episode mark where the character backstories are explored.
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #542 on: October 18, 2015, 10:16:12 am »
Thirding the "give it a go" thingy.  Also, Dongy, it doesn't matter how old you are, you're never "too old" to like...well, anything, anime included.  I'm 26 and still love Dragon Ball Z.  My brother's 30 and is the same way.

As for me, almost done watching Jericho for...fifth, maybe sixth time since I was introduced to it.  I have to say, I'm really sad that they got canceled so early.  Its one of the only post-apocalyptic shows I find at all believable and interesting.  The Walking Dead is interesting and a little believable, but Jericho just makes more sense with regards to people and communities.  That and Jericho doesn't have undead to contend with, sooooo...yeah.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Even Then

« Reply #543 on: October 18, 2015, 10:42:39 am »
The age for having an anime phase is arbitrary. The concept of anime phase is arbitrary. Everything is arbitrary.

Go for it, if that's what you feel like doing.

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #544 on: October 18, 2015, 10:43:56 am »
Does anime count? I've been watching Revolutionary Girl Utena, and I really dig it.

Utena's great.  Crunchyroll also has one of the anime that inspired it, a series from the 70s called Rose of Versailles.  It's about a cross-dressing soldier during the lead-up to the French Revolution.  It follows her and Marie Antoinette from their teen years, right on through the Revolution until the characters' respective deaths.  Best of all, even though Lady Oscar is a fictional character, all the other major players are real historical personages, and much of what's described in the show actually happened.

I've also been watching Yona of the Dawn, Magi, and the new Muppets series.

Oh, and the Late Show.  Hubby and I will DVR it and binge-watch the whole week on Saturdays.  Steven Colbert is <3.
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #545 on: October 31, 2015, 12:45:49 am »
Just did my yearly tradition of watching one ep of Hellsing Ultimate per day at the end of October, culminating in watching ep 10 as it became Halloween, and immediately after ep 9. Except I had to watch half of 8 as well, because I ran out of time Thursday. Things got awkward a couple times, such as when the very Christian director of the program I'm in walked in while I was watching Wednesday,
(click to show/hide)
So that was a fun thing to explain. Explained it as my only lasting tradition, and he let it slide, so long as I skip past the rest oftbe sequence, which I was, frankly, glad to have an excuse to do.
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #546 on: October 31, 2015, 11:22:59 am »
i've been on a criminal minds kick lately. even if it's hollywood psychology, they do try and fact-check as much as possible. even if it's formulaic, it's an entertaining formula, so that's a good point.

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #547 on: October 31, 2015, 06:22:17 pm »
Know what's a good show?  The Flash.  Seriously.  It doesn't take itself too seriously like Arrow does and actually embraces it's comic book roots.

Ironbite-hoping to finish up Season 1 in time for the Season 2 mid season break so I can catch up.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #548 on: October 31, 2015, 07:32:12 pm »
I found The Flash kind of frustrating to watch, to be honest.
Σא

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #549 on: October 31, 2015, 07:37:35 pm »
It was in the beginning when they were doing the whole unrequited love thing with Iris then Christmas episode happens and suddenly that's not a thing anymore.

Ironbite-then it picks up big time.

Offline lord gibbon

• That Weird Guy in the Corner
  • The Beast
  • living trivia machine
« Reply #550 on: November 01, 2015, 02:27:38 am »
Yeah, The Flash is what superheroes should be. Bright and optimistic, with spectacular concepts.

I myself have been on an anime binge lately. Rewatching Gurren Lagann and Nanoha.
Excuse me, sir, do you have a minute to talk about your lord and savior, Hannibal Barca?

Quote from: Seneca
Religion is regarded by the common man as true, by the wise man as false, and by the powerful man as useful
Yeah, if the pagans are so smart, why did Jesus invade Pagan-land on the back of a dragon and kill them all!

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #551 on: November 01, 2015, 09:31:28 pm »
Yeah, The Flash is what superheroes should be. Bright and optimistic, with spectacular concepts.

I guess that why I didn't like it. (my favourite superhero story is Worm. that's not what anyone would ever call bright and optimistic)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 09:33:23 pm by Sigmaleph »
Σא

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #552 on: November 02, 2015, 05:49:10 am »

I guess that why I didn't like it. (my favourite superhero story is Worm. that's not what anyone would ever call bright and optimistic)

you might like the "transmetropolitan" series of comics if you enjoy depraved and grimdark universes.

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #553 on: November 05, 2015, 07:43:12 am »
OMG, Supergirl.  Supergirl is awesome.

(One minor peeve, though.  Too many people are acting like dicks, assuming that the "because I'm a girl" argument is going to come out of Supergirl's mouth.  Um...what?)
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #554 on: November 07, 2015, 09:40:45 pm »
I just watched "Patriot", a new pilot for a potential series on Amazon. I only wish it was on Netflix, because then a lot more of you all could see it. It's a dark and hilarious espionage dramedy. Think, the Office with covert ops. Great writing that assumes the viewer has a brain, great acting, great cinematography, etc.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.