Author Topic: Santorum: Let States Ban Birth Control  (Read 7690 times)

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
Re: Santorum: Let States Ban Birth Control
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2012, 06:57:53 pm »
Yeah, let's have smaller government and more freedom to take away the rights of other citizens.  What a coincidence that I started getting migrains about the same time as the Republican debates.

Small enough to fit down your pants
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Smurfette Principle

• Will Blind You With Library Science!
  • The Beast
  • Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2012, 09:25:44 pm »
And then there's the argument of "Well, since the States rule, if someone doesn't like it, they can move to another state."  Yeah, one problem.  Traveling, and especially moving, can be expensive, not to mention disruptive, especially right now.  What if someone is too poor to just pick up and move out of a state that works against them?  Worse yet, and an issue that some people have concerning "state's rights," is when states take cues from eachother and start passing similar laws one by one (anti-abortion bills, for example).  If every state, or a cluster of nearby states, pass the same laws, then people can't just "go to another state."  There's no way a majority of women are going to be able to travel across the country just to get fucking contraception, nor should they.

You forget that Republicans completely ignore this. I had one girl in my class ask why black people didn't move to escape segregated states. The idea that they were too poor to do so completely baffled her. To them, there is no financial reason not to move, and even if they acknowledge it, well, it's their own fault they're poor, so who cares?

Offline booley

• Pope
  • Grand High Viceroy of the Eastern Expanses
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2012, 09:36:39 pm »
if memory serves, Santorum is reffering to Griswold.

That case established for the first time a right to privacy.  So take it out and you not only effect Roe v Wade but any pro gay ruling as well.

I can see why he hates it.
“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”
The Doctor

Offline DasFuchs

• God
  • Ruler of his own little world since 1977
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2012, 11:48:26 pm »
I wonder if he realizes states can do that, but because they're all part of a federal system, a federal ruling can cancel out the state's ruling.
Course that would mean the party that shouts "Constitution" all the time really has no use for it besides being a buzz word
"To a New Yorker like you, a hero is some type of weird sandwich. Not some nut that takes on two Tigers!" "You gotta hit'em point blank in the ass!" Oddball

Offline DasFuchs

• God
  • Ruler of his own little world since 1977
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2012, 11:54:57 pm »
No no no.  They need to criminalize conception.

Ironbite-that's how you nip the problem in the bud
Nah, too hard and not wide spread enough.
Sex should be outlawed.
You get caught with Mr. Happy hangin' out or some girl gets caught displaying the paradise and bam, cuff time
"To a New Yorker like you, a hero is some type of weird sandwich. Not some nut that takes on two Tigers!" "You gotta hit'em point blank in the ass!" Oddball

Offline Jodie

• Cyborg Wannabe
  • Pope
  • WTF???
    • Doodles and stuff
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2012, 03:26:32 am »
No no no.  They need to criminalize conception.

Ironbite-that's how you nip the problem in the bud
Nah, too hard and not wide spread enough.
Sex should be outlawed.
You get caught with Mr. Happy hangin' out or some girl gets caught displaying the paradise and bam, cuff time

So no getting naked at all - gotcha. I like showing with my clothes on anyway.
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Corinthians 13: 4-7

Offline erictheblue

• The Beast
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2012, 10:42:31 am »
if memory serves, Santorum is reffering to Griswold.

That case established for the first time a right to privacy.  So take it out and you not only effect Roe v Wade but any pro gay ruling as well.

Not necessarily. Case law is full of still-valid holdings based on holdings that are no longer valid. He can hope that overturning Griswold will bleed over to other privacy holdings, but it wouldn't be automatic.
[Anonymous is] like... an internet Cthulu... you don't want to rouse them, but at the same time... woah think of the beautiful chaos! - SpaceProg

Offline Oriet

• Homo sapiens scientia
  • Bishop
  • Disabled Vet MtF Polyamorous Atheist Auspie
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2012, 12:27:51 am »
I would ask if he realises that birth control pills are used for a wide variety of things besides preventing impregnation, but I'm pretty sure he just doesn't care.
The Rules, get to know them.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2012, 01:40:32 am »
Not to mention the criminalization of alcohol directly leading to the establishment of organized crime.

Organised crime existed before prohibition. what is the Klan if not organised crime?

which brings up a point. That's the reason why conservatives like 50 separate governments- at a national level, they're on equal terms, but in a single state they can heavily outnumbers Decent human beings. That explains their similar arguments in the antebellum period, and indeed the Confederacy itself. why coexist with nasty subhuman liberals when you could just create conservatopia and happily oppress gays, blacks, women and the poor to your heart's content?

I had one girl in my class ask why black people didn't move to escape segregated states.

They did move, in their millions. There was a mass migration of African-Americans from the South to the North* between 1850 or so and 1970 or so. But they found a society that was, if anything, more segregated- just less obviously so. Heard of redlining?

* And of whites to California. But that's just because Southern governments are historically shithouse.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 01:45:14 am by Lt. Fred »
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR