Author Topic: French teenager's skirt too long for school  (Read 14180 times)

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Re: French teenager's skirt too long for school
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2015, 09:52:13 pm »
Know what I love?  And you'll all get the kick out of this because it's great.

This thread?  This isn't about religious garb.  It's about a teenager being told her skirt, of which is very modest and not in any way shape or form religious, is too religious for this school.

Ironbite-and all of you keep going for the anti-hijab laws.

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2015, 10:01:13 pm »
We know it's really cause you French are all a bunch of snobby fashion police and religious garb is so last season.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2015, 10:20:21 pm »

This thread?  This isn't about religious garb.  It's about a teenager being told her skirt, of which is very modest and not in any way shape or form religious, is too religious for this school.

Almost as if threads had a tendency to veer off-topic in this forum.
Σא

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2015, 10:20:33 pm »

i hate to repeat myself but i do find this stupid, seeing as how there are tons of skirts like this (including one in my wardrobe for the winter).

@mellen, i wouldn't call myself sane, but thank you very much for your praise.

@madcat: i'm with you on that one. can't even find cargo pants anymore. it's all about the indecently skinny jeans.
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2015, 10:32:13 pm »
Guiz, are the blue parts of your posts...ya know, yours?  Just curious, because it seems weird and outta place.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2015, 10:34:29 pm »

i hate to repeat myself but i do find this stupid, seeing as how there are tons of skirts like this (including one in my wardrobe for the winter).

@madcat: i'm with you on that one. can't even find cargo pants anymore. it's all about the indecently skinny jeans.

Yet we all, including myself and guizonde, know perfectly well that French law is being applied against this girl because her long skirt is garbing a Muslim. This would not have happened against a French girl who is Catholic, for example. Her headscarf is her primary emblazoning - her Scarlet Letter - of herself as an outlaw (?). Nobody commenting in this thread has missed a cue or a clue as to that. France is wrong, guizonde acknowledges. I acknowledge. We all acknowledge that. Yet guizonde is wisely and carefully explaining the historical and socio-political "why", and not actually trying to exonerate it in this case.

However, the very well-intentioned point behind these laws in France is this; The Rights of a Human Being, the Inherent Nature of Human Dignity (all from the well-understood Modern Western Civilization concepts - which are highly valuable concepts!) trump all religious requirements of dress and behavior specific to the tenets of any religion, regardless whether they are voluntarily and enthusiastically adhered to by individuals.

The government of France is robustly enforcing a primary law of separation of religion from State at and to the point of individual PUBLIC DISPLAY. Is this wise? Is this just? As an atheist and an American, I say no, because constriction will only reinforce zealotry, at worst, and conformism for it's own sake, at middle, and intolerance by non-adherents of the religion in all cases. The law as written and enforced does not solve anything, but it does culturally and religiously oppress, and escalates tensions between secular and religious groups and subgroups of people who encounter each other in daily life.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2015, 10:36:48 pm »
The government of France is robustly enforcing a primary law of separation of religion from State at and to the point of individual PUBLIC DISPLAY. Is this wise? Is this just? As an atheist and an American, I say no, because constriction will only reinforce zealotry, at worst, and conformism for it's own sake, at middle, and intolerance by non-adherents of the religion in all cases. The law as written and enforced does not solve anything, but it does culturally and religiously oppress, and escalates tensions between secular and religious groups and subgroups of people who encounter each other in daily life.

There is not a like button big enough for this.  Seriously, god damn.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Mechtaur

• The Beast
  • Ladies, contain your orgasms.
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2015, 10:58:02 pm »

Yet we all, including myself and guizonde, know perfectly well that French law is being applied against this girl because her long skirt is garbing a Muslim. This would not have happened against a French girl who is Catholic, for example. Her headscarf is her primary emblazoning - her Scarlet Letter - of herself as an outlaw (?). Nobody commenting in this thread has missed a cue or a clue as to that. France is wrong, guizonde acknowledges. I acknowledge. We all acknowledge that. Yet guizonde is wisely and carefully explaining the historical and socio-political "why", and not actually trying to exonerate it in this case.

However, the very well-intentioned point behind these laws in France is this; The Rights of a Human Being, the Inherent Nature of Human Dignity (all from the well-understood Modern Western Civilization concepts - which are highly valuable concepts!) trump all religious requirements of dress and behavior specific to the tenets of any religion, regardless whether they are voluntarily and enthusiastically adhered to by individuals.

Damn, for this post I owe you a beverage of choice.

I wasn't meaning to be hostile sounding to guizonde, but this is seriously oppressing people just so someone else doesn't feel uncomfortable. I can't bring myself to want to be understanding and tolerant of it.

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2015, 11:32:04 pm »
Guiz, are the blue parts of your posts...ya know, yours?  Just curious, because it seems weird and outta place.

yeah, they are for when i drift off into sarcasm. since originally posting in this thread, i've been walking on eggshells trying not to generate a shitstorm, and when under pressure i crack jokes to alleve the pressure. if it feels out of place it's because i'm trying to make it out of place differentiating between serious and joking.

@mellen: it would've been a boring thread if i just left it at "france is islamophobic". it is, but it's not the be all end all reason for what's happening.

@mechtaur: the french would argue that religion is oppressing people, it goes both ways.
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline Mechtaur

• The Beast
  • Ladies, contain your orgasms.
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2015, 12:56:06 am »

yeah, they are for when i drift off into sarcasm. since originally posting in this thread, i've been walking on eggshells trying not to generate a shitstorm, and when under pressure i crack jokes to alleve the pressure. if it feels out of place it's because i'm trying to make it out of place differentiating between serious and joking.

@mellen: it would've been a boring thread if i just left it at "france is islamophobic". it is, but it's not the be all end all reason for what's happening.

@mechtaur: the french would argue that religion is oppressing people, it goes both ways.

I would have to agree to a certain point, but if the girl is following it of her own free will, they have no right to force her to change simply because someone else doesn't like it. Otherwise what is stopping them from banning non-religious articles of clothing for similar frivolous reasons?

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2015, 12:59:47 am »

I would have to agree to a certain point, but if the girl is following it of her own free will, they have no right to force her to change simply because someone else doesn't like it. Otherwise what is stopping them from banning non-religious articles of clothing for similar frivolous reasons?

Ironically, it's the same basic principle that leads religious fanatics to call for things they don't like to be banned.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2015, 04:39:19 am »

Almost as if threads had a tendency to veer off-topic in this forum.

This isntbveering off topic.  This is going to a new, unrelated topic

Offline Rime

• Pope
  • Born too slow
« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2015, 07:15:38 am »
I recently found out that a hijab isn't a "lust prevention measure" although it is a popular idea with many Middle Eastern men.  It's meant to be a gesture to say that a woman is as sacred as a tabernacle because she can contain another soul.  Even if I don't believe that we have souls, I could respect that reason.   I have to resist the urge to strangle insecure men with their precious "lust prevention implement" if they think it is in any way, shape or form effective.  Even a niquab could be dangerous because some guys have a fetish for doe eyes and that would draw attention to that feature.  I know I'm a bit soft for Bambi-eyed females.

And I'd like to say that I don't find anything wrong with her skirt or her scarf.  Maybe it's because headscarves and ankle length skirts would be all the rage next year and they were jealous.
And when we're done soul searching,
And we carry the weight and die for a cause.
Is misery made beautiful
Right before our eyes.

Mercy be revealed, or blind us where we stand?

Offline LeTipex

• Bishop
  • I'm right, because I accept that I can be wrong.
« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2015, 09:41:32 am »
I feel obligated to respong to all this, being another frenchman and all.

On the original topic of the thread : yikes. Banning a skirt for being too long (and vaguely reminiscent of religious garb) was stupid and offensive. I facepalmed the fist time I got in contact with that story.

On the topic drift : well, yeah, France does have a tradition of being agressively non-religious, as far as our institutions are concerned. As someone who is pretty anti-religion myself (or at least, who feels that religious fee-fees have no fucking place in public discourse when talking about the way the country is run) I'm of the opinion that it's a good thing. The kicker is that the way anti-religious laws are usually enforced ends up pushing even harder against opressed groups, which is pretty shitty.

I'm seriously torn up on the issue.

PS : Also, to clarify, you totally can wear religious garb out in public. That's not against the law. You are not allowed, however, to wear a kippa or a hijab or a tshirt with a cross when in a governement-funded place. That goes for schools, mairies, government buildings, army barracks, etc. By all means, wear everything you want when going out for a coffee.

Offline Rime

• Pope
  • Born too slow
« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2015, 10:24:46 am »
PS : Also, to clarify, you totally can wear religious garb out in public. That's not against the law. You are not allowed, however, to wear a kippa or a hijab or a tshirt with a cross when in a governement-funded place. That goes for schools, mairies, government buildings, army barracks, etc. By all means, wear everything you want when going out for a coffee.

When you put it this way, the law makes more sense.  On the other hand, Canada tends to be a little more slack on this level of secularism because religion it is a part of culture, and the level of integration tends to be more of a success if you don't just "throw them in the melting pot."
And when we're done soul searching,
And we carry the weight and die for a cause.
Is misery made beautiful
Right before our eyes.

Mercy be revealed, or blind us where we stand?