Author Topic: Ancient Aliens Debunked  (Read 3426 times)

Offline Jack Mann

• Gold Bugger Jihad Pony
  • God
Ancient Aliens Debunked
« on: January 27, 2013, 07:27:21 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9w-i5oZqaQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9w-i5oZqaQ</a>

This is a really thorough and easy-to-watch debunking of the Ancient Aliens series.  It pretty much demolishes all of the claims.

Sadly, the very end devolves into angel stories, but you still get nearly three hours of reasonably good scholarship before that.
اللغة العربية صعبة ، ولكنها جميلة جدا

Offline Itachirumon

• The Buzzing Digital Uke
  • Pope
  • The Highly-Caffinated Borderline Insane Uke
Re: Ancient Aliens Debunked
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 07:47:07 pm »
Ancient aliens fake?

Youdon'tsay.jpg
"Sleep is for the weak
Caffeine is my sacrament
Are those spiders real?"

I do NOT have a dubious relationship to sleep. We had a perfectly ambicable seperation

Ask me about the knife in your back!

When I die, they should process my blood into an energy drink - it'll be called Vampiric, and one dose will cause diabetes... Also, you might see noises.

"No.. can't eat... I'm fucking my catboy"

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 09:31:04 pm »
But what about the boofy hair guy?  He really knows his shit!

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 10:09:26 pm »

I love that guy...

Offline Jack Mann

• Gold Bugger Jihad Pony
  • God
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 10:25:55 pm »
He features prominently in the video.

Offline Itachirumon

• The Buzzing Digital Uke
  • Pope
  • The Highly-Caffinated Borderline Insane Uke
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 12:10:33 am »

I love that guy...

Now I'm not saying it was Aliens.
....But it was Zoidberg.
"Sleep is for the weak
Caffeine is my sacrament
Are those spiders real?"

I do NOT have a dubious relationship to sleep. We had a perfectly ambicable seperation

Ask me about the knife in your back!

When I die, they should process my blood into an energy drink - it'll be called Vampiric, and one dose will cause diabetes... Also, you might see noises.

"No.. can't eat... I'm fucking my catboy"

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 12:53:42 pm »
This was really informative.  I can't say I ever watched Ancient Aliens, but this tackles the claims quite well and explains why they are false.  Furthermore, while I did not visit the websites associated with the additional information after watching this, I like how they have that extra information and citation available to those interested.
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 04:36:16 pm »
My dad was an amateur archeologist. He loved to visit the sites all through Central and South America (he had an industrial machinery exporting business at that time). He brought back nice replicas of Inca and Maya and Aztec artifacts and stuff. Then VanDanikens book came out, I bought it and liked it, cuz I was 13, see? I showed it to my dad, he read it in his study with the door closed and I could hear him laughing out loud a few times...which, since I knew he knew his shit pretty damn well, made me re-think things, even though he never criticized the book in any sarcastic way (so as not to dampen my interest in science....even if that meant to let me go through my phase with the pseudo, I guess).

Probably the best thing he said to me about it was something like; "Maybe we don't yet have all the details figured out yet, but realize something; just because we have high tech now, and advanced theoretical thinking, does not mean that ancient people were incapable of great feats of intelligence and inspiration. It insults us as a species to say that the pyramids and temples were beyond the capabilities of the people who did in fact build them. It cheapens and ignores the huge effort, the workers' tragic accidental deaths, the tremendous dedication they had to complete such magnificent monuments. They were building for their gods - it was their way of worship."

Also, did you guys maybe go directly to youtube to watch? I did, for the larger video frame, and holey phuck! There are a slew of crazy Ancient Alien "fundies" posting shitdribble in the comments. We could mainpage these things!
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013, 08:39:43 pm »
Probably the best thing he said to me about it was something like; "Maybe we don't yet have all the details figured out yet, but realize something; just because we have high tech now, and advanced theoretical thinking, does not mean that ancient people were incapable of great feats of intelligence and inspiration. It insults us as a species to say that the pyramids and temples were beyond the capabilities of the people who did in fact build them. It cheapens and ignores the huge effort, the workers' tragic accidental deaths, the tremendous dedication they had to complete such magnificent monuments. They were building for their gods - it was their way of worship."

There is a great deal of wisdom in that observation.

Offline Jack Mann

• Gold Bugger Jihad Pony
  • God
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2013, 08:47:10 pm »
Sadly, people believe in things like ancient aliens because they want the world to be simpler and less wonderful than it really is.

Offline Star Cluster

• Pope
  • I need my space.
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2013, 11:02:30 am »
These ancient alien fanatics are really no different than religious fundies in that they base these claims on proof from incredulity.  Just as religious fundies find the world and universe to be too complex and incredible to have not been created by a superior intelligence, so do the ancient alien believers find it too incredible to believe that our ancient predecessors could achieve these magnificent things they did without a more intelligent and advanced influence.

I like what mellonORL's dad said.  Simply put, it's like the old adage..."Where there's a will, there's a way."
The heavens convince me there is no god.

Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.--Steven Weinberg

Religion can never reform mankind because religion is slavery--Robert G. Ingersoll

I don't know why people compare George Carlin to God. He's great and all, but he's no George Carlin.-Anon.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2013, 12:08:30 pm »
Also people in the developing world hate these because it's saying that in their minds brown/black people are incapable of building great things in the past.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2013, 12:24:10 pm »
Ancient Aliens seems like it was written by someone with severe and cartoonishly exaggerated attention problems. It never really finishes any point it's trying to make before getting distracted and moving on to something else.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2013, 01:22:34 pm »
Here's easily the richest source of derp leading offsite from one of the AA fundie commentors on youtube....this person has a blogsite and about the most pathetic series of ramblings and "proofs" I've seen yet. Haven't checked through to see if they are soliciting funds or selling books or w/e yet. Luv-luv-luv the "artists interpretation" of a UFO.....done in crayon  :-* :o

http://alienspaceshipidentified.com/my_closest_sighting_the_full_truth

O Yesssss! Keep scrolling down. This 30 year old AA fundie is also skilled in the use of gold sparkle dust and clear glue on top of his crayon depictions of a UFO. Just derptastic stuff!

Update: Yep, here is the inevitable, predictable solicitation for donations....errr, sponsor
"investments". Stop Tsunamis! Better foootball helmets! Awshum! (I guess you just email them for arrangements to donate).

http://alienspaceshipidentified.com/inventions_that_need_a_sponsor
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 02:34:48 pm by mellenORL »
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2013, 01:35:30 am »
I never watched the ancient aliens stuff to begin with, but that movie was a mountain of interesting archeological and cultural information. It was fascinating how the creator went into all the detail concerning the different cultural styles, and multiple examples of the cultural uses of the things the ancient aliens people believe represent extraterrestrials.

I personally love things like these, and I have enjoyed going to other sites like the 9/11 fact site and the myth-busters moon landing episode. They are fascinating and show just how interesting our world really is without the need for conspiracies or aliens.